GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on tuning

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I did, Was just bad luck/bad timing with my battery shitting the bed. Next flash I had my multimeter all hooked up too, lol.

I should add this was on Eurodyne, which I assume flashing process takes wayyy longer.

Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Make sure the charger can handle 20 amps. The car pulls quite a load when its flashing. Old style battery chargers can't handle the load. (I had to buy a new unit just to hold charge while flashing, most normal ones max out at 10-12 amps)

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Make sure the charger can handle 20 amps. The car pulls quite a load when its flashing. Old style battery chargers can't handle the load. (I had to buy a new unit just to hold charge while flashing, most normal ones max out at 10-12 amps)

What did you get? Mine is even less than that and when I went back and flashed with the multimeter hooked up you could see the battery was still discharging slightly with the tender on. Mine's a CTEK one that is supposed to be 'smart' and can leave it on a car 24/7 long term, but yeah it's definitely lacking in the actual power output.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Hey Aaron,
I got this model
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ESQW08
I don't know if it a good or not, but it works, and you can set for standard or AGM batteries. Note: If you start using it on 20 amps prior to flashing, it may swap to a lower charging state. (If your battery is almost full). You may need to manually swap it back to 20 amps once the flashing starts. I wasn't paying attention the first time, and my battery dropped to 50% charge realllllly fast. The next time I did it, I wasn't at full charge (old battery needs to be replaced, waiting for sams club to get the agm's back in), and it just stayed at 20 amps throughout the entire process.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
basic ecu/dsg tune on these cars is so much fun. EQT's dsg tune is amazing too, Ed does a great job with these cars. if was a more exotic setup (like SD tuned procharged c5z etc) then maybe dyno tune would be much better but a base stage 1 or 2 mk7 is so normal that Ed has tuned so many of them I doubt he has to do much work on the tables to fill them in so I'd be surprised if a dyno tune gained much more than a few hp max on a stage1/2 mk7 vs his normal ots tune or a street tune. I personally would just use the EQT ots tune and not do either dyno or street tune until you upgrade the turbo. may gain a tiny bit of hp but the gain not worth the hp or time. better places to put that $ to make real gains (like an EQT turbo or IE intercooler etc)

Figuringitout

basic ecu/dsg tune on these cars is so much fun. EQT's dsg tune is amazing too, Ed does a great job with these cars. if was a more exotic setup (like SD tuned procharged c5z etc) then maybe dyno tune would be much better but a base stage 1 or 2 mk7 is so normal that Ed has tuned so many of them I doubt he has to do much work on the tables to fill them in so I'd be surprised if a dyno tune gained much more than a few hp max on a stage1/2 mk7 vs his normal ots tune or a street tune. I personally would just use the EQT ots tune and not do either dyno or street tune until you upgrade the turbo. may gain a tiny bit of hp but the gain not worth the hp or time. better places to put that $ to make real gains (like an EQT turbo or IE intercooler etc)

I've been eyeing the IE air intake (https://performancebyie.com/collect...systems/products/ie-intake-vw-mk7-audi-8v-tsi). I saw a thread somewhere and a couple folks interjected about the actually airflow not being any higher than the stock air intake? Anyone have any facts on that? Save me a search perhaps? Let's say it doesn't at all, where does the extra hp come from? Is there extra hp? I love the sounds but I don't wanna spend 300$ for sounds.... Or do I? Lol. Idk! I might need to just stalk the classifieds on here.

Just wondering,.

-Thanks

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I've been eyeing the IE air intake (https://performancebyie.com/collect...systems/products/ie-intake-vw-mk7-audi-8v-tsi). I saw a thread somewhere and a couple folks interjected about the actually airflow not being any higher than the stock air intake? Anyone have any facts on that? Save me a search perhaps? Let's say it doesn't at all, where does the extra hp come from? Is there extra hp? I love the sounds but I don't wanna spend 300$ for sounds.... Or do I? Lol. Idk! I might need to just stalk the classifieds on here.

Just wondering,.

-Thanks
as you can see, the modified stock intake flows rather well!
http://mygolfmk7.com/best-mk7-gti-air-intake/

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
??. Thanks for that link! So it looks like we're only taking about ~60cfm more from the top of the aftermarket intakes. They were also in conjunction with an aftermarket inlet.
If you search that site he has intake comparison tests with OEM inlets as well. The page I linked is a comprehensive test.