GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on tuning

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I’d just purchase the AP from EQT and buy both the 91 oct OTS stage 1 tune with their DSG tune and call it a day. Unless your car is a unicorn, Ed has shown time and time again that his dyno tune only gets around 10-15 HP more vs his OTS tunes. If you ever decide on adding other real power mods, then get the dyno tune.

Not sure if this is widely known, but Cobb offers a discount for veterans/active military. So if you qualify, that discount takes away some of the bite for the additional tunes you have to pay for.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Dyno tune is for suckers who want a pretty paper and dont want to be involved (time/effort) thats my 2c. Theres no extra magic in tuning when dyno tuning. The only difference is one is replicating a real world environment in a safe artificial setting. Safety and convenience is the biggest benefit to tuner and customer.

I myself screw the phillips head screws much better w a dewalt handheld drill bit than i do w an old fashined screwdriver, the difference is unbelievable. And i try my new shoes on a threadmill. Cuz walking on the pavement is too easy. Laughable stuff. Especially since all calcs begin from the wheels spinning, measuring device aside.

Id purchase OTS EQT tune and call it a day. Theres no need for a custom tune whether dyno or etune.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dyno tune is for suckers who want a pretty paper and dont want to be involved (time/effort) thats my 2c. Theres no extra magic in tuning when dyno tuning. The only difference is one is replicating a real world environment in a safe artificial setting. Safety and convenience is the biggest benefit to tuner and customer.

I myself screw the phillips head screws much better w a dewalt handheld drill bit than i do w an old fashined screwdriver, the difference is unbelievable. And i try my new shoes on a threadmill. Cuz walking on the pavement is too easy. Laughable stuff. Especially since all calcs begin from the wheels spinning, measuring device aside.

Id purchase OTS EQT tune and call it a day. Theres no need for a custom tune whether dyno or etune.

Mine was dyno tuned because I didn't want to go through the logging process and the time it takes to get the final tune. Plus depending upon your bolt ons an OTS tune doesn't take full advantage of the bolt ons and isn't optimized for them.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Mine was dyno tuned because I didn't want to go through the logging process and the time it takes to get the final tune. Plus depending upon your bolt ons an OTS tune doesn't take full advantage of the bolt ons and isn't optimized for them.

This. The only option when I had my WRX was a Dyno tune. It was the only option and 2.5 hrs away from me, so not everyone who gets a Dyno tune wants a pretty piece of paper, because I could have cared less.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
My comment was in re: to dyno > etune. Not whether OTS is appropriate or whats available. Meant for those who believe that nonsense.

I fully understand the safety and convenience, like i said 1 and 2 reasons to get a dyno tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This. The only option when I had my WRX was a Dyno tune. It was the only option and 2.5 hrs away from me, so not everyone who gets a Dyno tune wants a pretty piece of paper, because I could have cared less.

The only papers that I cared about were the timing and boost numbers.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My comment was in re: to dyno > etune. Not whether OTS is appropriate or whats available. Meant for those who believe that nonsense.

I fully understand the safety and convenience, like i said 1 and 2 reasons to get a dyno tune.

I agree. I guess I just took offense to the suckers part.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you have keyless, don't walk away from the car with the keys while flashing. Ask how I know. Luckily, recovery mode worked and didn't brick my ECU.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Street E-tune is great for modern cars with advanced ECUs/sensors etc. And in almost all cases for pump gas and FI vehicles, are knock limited, so there's really no need to measure power output vs timing to see if you're hitting MBT.. NA is a little different.

Where dyno really shines is part throttle tuning to actually create VE tables and such on aftermarket ECUs or highly custom setups or OEMs. And they are just super consistent if you're looking to measure actual gains and such. A great tool for a pro tuner do figure out stuff and do a lot of the leg work to make the street tuning that much better and more efficient.

On my supercharged C5Z, I removed the MAF and went pure speed density and had to define fuel tables and such from scratch. Using a dyno for the part throttle stuff was so much better and saved so much time and am actually able to hit a lot more cells to get a good VE table. I can lock in a max engine rpm on the dyno and then systematically go thru a table cell by cell and get the data I need. It was well worth the money for rent a dyno for a few hours, to save time and get a better end result. And not having to go 150mph on public roads is nice too.

But for a typical guy who just wants a good safe setup.... street WOT tuning is great. That's what I'll be doing with the S3.

I make my own pretty paper bragging rights sheet in vdyno :)

Attachments

• 1580614572690.png
    1580614572690.png
    103 KB · Views: 100

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did street tuning in my old STR prepped Miata with tubular header and a race muffler. It was a pain where I live, because it was a pain to find clear space on the crowded roads here and the car was red and loud, so it drew attention. I'm lucky I didn't end up in jail.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah, back in the day I had a turbo miata on megasquirt, did it all on the street. It was a pain, especially the part throttle stuff. Ended up chasing my tail in many ways and should have just rented a dyno. Oh well, I was learning.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
My battery died in the middle of flashing my DSG tune. I even had a tender hooked up......... charger doesn't make you invincible like I thought. Somehow I was able to just reflash and all was fine.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Always make sure auto lights, fans, interior lights, everything is off except ignition.