GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Novice Advice Needed - Transm/Eng Mount Upgrade

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Just received my new BFI Stage 1 Engine & Transmission Kit V2 for my MK7.5 GTI Autobahn DSG. I notice that the "Dog Bone" insert is super soft. Just wondering for the members here that have installed this kit, did you installed the insert as well or opt to replaced it for something else like the Powerflex one. I'm also a novice on this kind of work that requires manipulating the engine and transmission. Any good resources that you guys have used to become comfortable with this work would be great.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I'm running the BFI Stage 1 V2 dogbone insert with stock mounts, and have BFI Stage 1 mounts on the shelf (they are going in over the holiday break while I service the DSG and Haldex). I can tell you my experience running EQT Stage 1 93 octane with just the dogbone insert and stock mounts. When you start the car cold and put it in reverse with the RPM elevated, it's pretty much like stock. Once the car is warm, there is a good deal of shudder in reverse. In normal driving, it's just like stock. Under power, there's a good bit more vibration, and the exhaust note is louder, with a nice growl. I still get some wheel hop if I nail it in first, but that's not a good idea anyway. if you're in the power hard in any gear above first, there is no wheel hop, and the traction control does most of the work. I think the mounts will get rid of it altogether.

Installation is pretty easy. Jack the car up on stands front and rear so that the car is level. Remove the factory bolt using a breaker bar. Douche the mount with silicone. I used synthetic grease on the insert, not silicone. Line up the insert properly and press it in by hand. I had no issue at all with this. Slipped right in (TWSS). Hand tighten the new bolt, spacer and washer, then torque plus 90.

It will take about 1,000 miles for the excess vibration to calm down to the point where I described it above.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I have being watchings some videos online from people that have changed the OEM mounts with the BFI type. I notice that my mounts came with hardware (eg. Bolts) but I have seen people either reusing the OEM bolts or replacing with new OEM bolts.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have being watchings some videos online from people that have changed the OEM mounts with the BFI type. I notice that my mounts came with hardware (eg. Bolts) but I have seen people either reusing the OEM bolts or replacing with new OEM bolts.
I don't think they used to come with hardware. It's nice that they have added that. Use the new stuff.