GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on GTD ride quality

Doug2

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on the likely difference in ride quality for different wheel sizes and suspension options.

I need to order my new car by the end of July and with the various options I want to include there is only a minimal difference in the lease cost between the 2.0 TDI, GT and GTD. About 90% of the time I will be the only one in the car and my first choice is leaning towards the GTD with Adaptive chassis Control. However I am concerned about the ride quality when my family are also in the car. My current Golf has 16" wheels. How much harsher will the ride likely be on 18" wheels in comfort mode?

I had planned on getting the car for a demo but unfortunately this can't happen before I need to place the order.

Cheers
Doug.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
I've just been for a drive of a gtd without acc and standard wheels. rode beautifully. I've ordered my own gtd with the acc just to give me more options.

deangtd

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a GT on demo for a weekend and it had 18s on. To be honest I have a BMW with 18s on the the family don't mind. Ordered a GTD as its better value in my eyes + I wanted all the LED bells and whistles etc.

Not bothered with the ACC as I couldn't really see massive differences in the GT. I ended up just setting it in sport anyway. Therefore money was spent on Dynaudio Pack and Nav as I'll use them more.

Last edited:

Skinnee D

Passed Driver's Ed
I demo'd a GTD with standard dampers/wheels/tyres and it was an excellent all round setup - taught with minimal roll in corners, but no undue jarring even on typical British back roads. Personally I'd hang on to your ACC option cash.

Doug2

Personally I'd hang on to your ACC option cash.

Because leasing costs are influenced by resale values, the cost to me is identical for either a GTD without ACC or a SE with the spec I want. Crazy. And adding ACC to the GTD will cost me a extra £8 per month. Not a lot if it stops the wife complaining about being car sick.

So I take it that the ride on 18" wheels is reasonable. Adding ACC and using comfort mode will improve this.

Skinnee D

Passed Driver's Ed
See what you mean...I guess if it's that cheap then may as well have the option to soften the ride a bit just in case. At £700 odd to buy outright it didn't make sense in my case.

The 18" wheels/tyres ran pretty smooth I thought. I personally wouldn't consider any thinner tyre wall such as the 19" 35 profile VW option with the state of UK roads these days...

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
I've ordered the acc just for the additional option it gives. normal ride is fine but the acc gives me the option to use comfort when needed.

Doug2

Thanks guys for the feedback. Ordered my GTD with ACC this morning. Can't wait.....well actually I'll have to as current lease doesn't run out until December. :(
But looking at some of the other post it might just take that long anyway.