GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjust steering sensitivity with VCDS?

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I'd like to have a bit less assist sensitivity for on-center steering when going straight down road. Before experimenting, I'd like to hear from anyone who has successfully changed the steering sensitivity.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
pbrowne/Nimche: there are a couple of ways of doing this - that I'm aware of. Both procedures pertain to the Steering Assist control module @ address hex44

1. If you use the security code 28183, you can alter the setting for the adaptation channel IDE03734-Support power to a lower value (default is 100%). Problem with this method is that the changed setting only applies for the current ignition-on sequence. When you turn-off the ignition, the setting will revert back to 100%

2. The setting for the adaptation channel IDE04130-Characteristic curve of steering assistance can also change the "feel" of the steering wheel. The default setting is "Driving profile selection button", but you might try other values like "Auto", "Comfort", "Dynamic" which may suit you better

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Is there no way to permanent adjust the steering assist? Having to adjust it every time is annoying.

Option 2 in my reply is permanent!!!
Don

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
pbrowne/Nimche: there are a couple of ways of doing this - that I'm aware of. Both procedures pertain to the Steering Assist control module @ address hex44

1. If you use the security code 28183, you can alter the setting for the adaptation channel IDE03734-Support power to a lower value (default is 100%). Problem with this method is that the changed setting only applies for the current ignition-on sequence. When you turn-off the ignition, the setting will revert back to 100%

2. The setting for the adaptation channel IDE04130-Characteristic curve of steering assistance can also change the "feel" of the steering wheel. The default setting is "Driving profile selection button", but you might try other values like "Auto", "Comfort", "Dynamic" which may suit you better

Don

Don - has anyone been able to code #1 above and keep it permanently? I've had #2 coded on my car and set to Dynamic, but it is still not stiff enough for my taste.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
quall, you can try reducing your tire pressures.
I run about 38 psi on the 17inch Madrid wheels. Let me try 34 or 35 psi and report back the results.

via the Sony XPERIA XA1 Ultra using Tapatalk

I agree with you, but that's for GTI and GTI Clubsport. He's got a Variant Highline 1.8 TSI,
which I'm sure comes with a lighter steering.
However, if you want heavier and better steering feel, your best option still are UHP summer
tires, wider tires and more caster (using Superpro offset bushings). Altering steering assist
with VCDS/VCP is eyewash. Ask how I know . . .

alper

Ready to race!
I agree with you, but that's for GTI and GTI Clubsport. He's got a Variant Highline 1.8 TSI,
However, if you want heavier and better steering feel, your best option still are UHP summer
tires, wider tires and more caster (using Superpro offset bushings). Altering steering assist

Missed the non-GTI part. What were your experiences with VCDS tweaking? I had removed some steering assistance in my last car through VCDS, it felt more or less ok so I left it at that setting until I sold the car. It's not something you can perfect if it's not done properly from factory anyway, improve yes.

I too tried several settings on my previous GTI. It's been a disappointing experience,
probably since I simply expected too much from it.

Z06jerry

Don

I used option 2 to set "dynamic" & installed 235/40-18 UHP tires, gave a very nicely weighted steering assist with great steering feel. I wouldn't use poly bushings on a street car personally, just my 2¢ :)

While I used to prefer rubber since very most poly bushes add some harshness
Superpro's bushes actually do ride smoothly. Anyway, there's no offset bushes
available made from rubber. I just wanted to point a proper alternative.
However, which steering effort one prefers is a matter of taste and what one's
used to. Since my Clubsport's steering suspectedly is heavier compared to the
Golf TSI's steering anyway I prefer the standard setting over 'sport'. Probably
my PSS tires contribute to both steering feel and effort, particularly compared
to generously grooved all-seasons.
Trying several VCDS settings on several cars and trying lots of more serious
suspension mods I'm disillusioned. If you want some serious improvements you
have to perform some serious mods to the hardware. Begin with tires first. And
caster is a highly effective way to alter steering.
My point being, just don't expect too much from playing with VCDS. ;)

Last edited: