GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding DSG oil through filter housing?

D_o_S1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

is there any issue in adding DSG oil through the top, i.e. after removing the filter?

I'm not too concerned about adding oil this way, but I would like to add a transmission flush... and I don't see it as too realistic to add it from the bottom...

Thanks.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Is there a reason you want to flush? It's normally advised against doing that as you can do more harm then good. But yes you can add it through the top no problem

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Too easy to go in from top. Do it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

D_o_S1

Passed Driver's Ed
Just concerning this... I did a bottom fill in the end, top fill takes waaaaaayyyy too long...

At least it took ages with the flush (liqui moly aut. trans flush)

Flush did wonders tho!!!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Watched a video on ShopDap.com about changing the fluid in a DSG that you might want to look at. You can fill from the top but as they say it takes a long time and you still need to be sure that the level is correct and that this is completed at the proper temperature, so an OBD11 or similar tool is necessary to read the temperature. If you plan to keep the car and do this a couple of times you might want to invest in the kit ShopDap.com has.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
You do know that Liqui moly transmission cleaner is only for torque converter automatic transmissions right?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Don't flush , just replace. The filter catches anything that would need flushed out so you're pretty much just doing a flush by changing the filter. And yes, top fill is fine

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Watched a video on ShopDap.com about changing the fluid in a DSG that you might want to look at. You can fill from the top but as they say it takes a long time and you still need to be sure that the level is correct and that this is completed at the proper temperature, so an OBD11 or similar tool is necessary to read the temperature. If you plan to keep the car and do this a couple of times you might want to invest in the kit ShopDap.com has.
To determine the correct level you do not have to bring to temperature (so OBD11 or similar tool is not necessary) and shift through gears and then estimate when correct of amount of fluid is trickling down; it is a method but not the only method nor the most accurate. Remove all oil by keeping the car level and add 4.6L and you have the correct amount of oil.

D_o_S1

Passed Driver's Ed
You do know that Liqui moly transmission cleaner is only for torque converter automatic transmissions right?
Quite on the contrary, I wrote to Liqui Moly regarding the use of the flush in DSG... and I have to say, it has worked wonders for me

Shifts are much smoother, no "knocking" or hard shifts... shifts like butter now... very satisfied

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Just did the second DSG service on the GTI @ 60K, and the first on the GLI @ 30K this weekend. Do 30K services and fluid looks dark, but is clear. Both top fill with 5L using the Hopkins funnel. Then run the car through the gears and check temp with VCDS. GTI took 4.7L while the GLI took 4.8L. Shit simple. The hardest part is actually taking the battery, tray, and intake off and putting it all back on. FCP Euro for the OE fluid, filter, housing o-ring, and drain plug gasket. 104 bucks taxes and shipping for each kit to the door.

texan engineer

I filled from the top myself. Takes a long time (as others have said - about an hour for me), but beats having to buy a specialty pump and/or drenching your arm in half a quart of DSG oil.

Top tip: use a double boiler and bring some water to about 150F, warm up the oil bottles before you fill. It will pour faster and warm up in the DSG faster that way. Still need to have patience when pouring into the funnel though. Just make sure you're in the target oil temperature before you check the fluid level.