GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding a FMIC with a front license plate

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at adding a FMIC to my 2018 GTI. However, I'm in MA and must run a front license plate. It's in the stock, drilled bumper position (NY car, it came that way). I know I can move it to a tow towbar mount off to the side, but I'd rather not. The plate would block a significant portion of the FMIC. How much of a hit would I take on FMIC performance if I leave the plate where it is? The car is JB4 tuned now, and I don't expect to go any further than Stage 1. TIA.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have no supporting evidence, but I don't think it would have any meaningful impact on performance. I installed an FMIC with a front plate without even giving it a second thought.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at adding a FMIC to my 2018 GTI. However, I'm in MA and must run a front license plate. It's in the stock, drilled bumper position (NY car, it came that way). I know I can move it to a tow towbar mount off to the side, but I'd rather not. The plate would block a significant portion of the FMIC. How much of a hit would I take on FMIC performance if I leave the plate where it is? The car is JB4 tuned now, and I don't expect to go any further than Stage 1. TIA.

With it in the factory location it’s not a notable blockage, it’s when people do some sloppy DIY plate holder with the plate entirely over the lower grille that causes significant airflow issues.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I've always had this concern but yeah, nobody really has supporting evidence of the hit it might have. Like, has anyone ran a dyno pull with the plate on vs off? rofl.

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
With it in the factory location it’s not a notable blockage, it’s when people do some sloppy DIY plate holder with the plate entirely over the lower grille that causes significant airflow issues.
A little off topic, Jake..I know you reply to your email. Do you mind if I have it for a few questions? Thanks!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’m running a Baun FMIC with front plate, but I’m using an offset holder that utilizes the tow hook location.... why not just do that?
B8DFEFA6-0610-4C4F-A86B-92AE72EFF175.jpeg

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Just leave the plate where it is. You’ll be fine. This is a CTS FMIC. My oil temps make me back off on track before I get to any timing pull from heat soak. In fact, I’ve never experienced any timing pull on track with stock tune. I run a JB4 on map 6 on the street though. Again, no notable issues.View attachment 210297
8540BBD4-FF8D-42CF-9E31-56A642890507.png

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Fine for a street/highway car. Any track use a fmic blocks too much air to the radiator. Oem location intercooler is the way to go

Waiting on Keehs360 to come in here with blazing guns about the fmic superiority over any other ICs with only Reddit to be the main source of proof.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I’m running a Baun FMIC with front plate, but I’m using an offset holder that utilizes the tow hook location.... why not just do that?

As I stated, I don't want to do that. I want to keep the cover on the tow hook opening and I don't want to patch and plug the bumper holes. What I wanted to know was whether it affects FMIC performance, which it looks like it doesn't. Thanks, everyone. I appreciate everyone's input.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
As I stated, I don't want to do that. I want to keep the cover on the tow hook opening and I don't want to patch and plug the bumper holes. What I wanted to know was whether it affects FMIC performance, which it looks like it doesn't. Thanks, everyone. I appreciate everyone's input.
Reading fail on my part

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Waiting on Keehs360 to come in here with blazing guns about the fmic superiority over any other ICs with only Reddit to be the main source of proof.
Depends what you're doing with the car I suppose. Highway warrior runs probably favor a fmic. Extended track sessions not so much.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Depends what you're doing with the car I suppose. Highway warrior runs probably favor a fmic. Extended track sessions not so much.
I wonder how using a tune that changes the cooling map of the car would affect track sessions with a FMIC. The new tune from EQT has reduced my coolant temps by about 20F and oil temps by 10-20F. Have yet to do a mountain run with it, but before the changes, I hit 240F oil temp... maybe 250? but coolant was still around 225F. Obviously a track is a much different environment.

I run a front plate with my Baun FMIC.