GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Add WaveTrac LSD or No

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
So I'm now trying to decide if I want to get this LSD put into my car. I'm having the clutch replaced in 2 weeks and need to decide if I want to pay the extra $1700 for it to be added on top of replacement of the clutch. I just daily drive my car with spirited driving, flooring it onto the highway, red light racing every now and than. Other than that I don't track my car. Trying to decide if I should get it done or not.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
If you don't track your car at any kind of a race track, auto-x, drag strip, etc..., then you don't need it especially for just daily driving with some spirited driving.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I'm now trying to decide if I want to get this LSD put into my car. I'm having the clutch replaced in 2 weeks and need to decide if I want to pay the extra $1700 for it to be added on top of replacement of the clutch. I just daily drive my car with spirited driving, flooring it onto the highway, red light racing every now and than. Other than that I don't track my car. Trying to decide if I should get it done or not.
It you think that you might be adding more power yes. If staying stock not worth the expense.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I had the issue with my 2015 if I wanted to install an LSD, as I was pretty bummed out I didnt have the performance pack. Big brakes, LSD, and the newer cars had a better infotainment, better features all around. I added up the price of all the crap I didnt like about the car and it was a considerable amount of money (around 5k). I looked at my car that had 63k miles on it and sold it to carvana for 20k. Then I bought a 2019 Autobahn (that has all the goodies) for 28k with 11k miles on the odo. Of course thats just me, but I knew even if I did this or that I would always be wishing I just used the money to upgrade the entire car.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If it’s something you wanna do go for it.

$1,700 isn’t bad at all parts & labor. The transmission gets torn down completely, which makes this the perfect time since it’ll already be out of the car.

Personally I plan to do a Peloquin LSD. It’s gear type, so no wear items and they’re made a few hours from me in GA by a dude who’s been building VAG driveline parts since the late 60s.

The “LSD” in the PP cars isn’t all that great, neither are the brakes. A true mechanical diff is far superior, as are a fixed caliber BBK vs 340mm single piston floating caliper.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
If you don't track your car at any kind of a race track, auto-x, drag strip, etc..., then you don't need it especially for just daily driving with some spirited driving.
That’s what I have been thinking. Wish I could test drive a car with one and see if it is a night and day performance mid like some individuals say.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
It you think that you might be adding more power yes. If staying stock not worth the expense.
I currently only have jb1 and if anything would like go stage 2 but unsure of who to go with or If I should get a flash with new smog regulations coming.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I had the issue with my 2015 if I wanted to install an LSD, as I was pretty bummed out I didnt have the performance pack. Big brakes, LSD, and the newer cars had a better infotainment, better features all around. I added up the price of all the crap I didnt like about the car and it was a considerable amount of money (around 5k). I looked at my car that had 63k miles on it and sold it to carvana for 20k. Then I bought a 2019 Autobahn (that has all the goodies) for 28k with 11k miles on the odo. Of course thats just me, but I knew even if I did this or that I would always be wishing I just used the money to upgrade the entire car.
That’s a good idea! I just checked and there are not many options available in my area. But looks like I would be paying somewhere around 8-10k after taxes for trading in my car for an upgraded one.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
If it’s something you wanna do go for it.

$1,700 isn’t bad at all parts & labor. The transmission gets torn down completely, which makes this the perfect time since it’ll already be out of the car.

Personally I plan to do a Peloquin LSD. It’s gear type, so no wear items and they’re made a few hours from me in GA by a dude who’s been building VAG driveline parts since the late 60s.

The “LSD” in the PP cars isn’t all that great, neither are the brakes. A true mechanical diff is far superior, as are a fixed caliber BBK vs 340mm single piston floating caliper.
Yes the $1700 is tempting especially for California prices. That’s why I’m highly considering it. I have an trutrack lsd in my truck. I’m guessing it’s pretty similar? The shop works directly with wavetrac and that’s how they are able to get the lsd for only 800. I have herd of that one but also haven’t heard anything bad about the wavetrac either.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yes the $1700 is tempting especially for California prices. That’s why I’m highly considering it. I have an trutrack lsd in my truck. I’m guessing it’s pretty similar? The shop works directly with wavetrac and that’s how they are able to get the lsd for only 800. I have herd of that one but also haven’t heard anything bad about the wavetrac either.

Either one will be great, I just personally prefer small business & gear vs clutch style.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I currently only have jb1 and if anything would like go stage 2 but unsure of who to go with or If I should get a flash with new smog regulations coming.

Does your smog check include a visual inspection, and are these inspections rigidly enforced? Are you stuck with crap 91 octane fuel with no E85 available?

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Does your smog check include a visual inspection, and are these inspections rigidly enforced? Are you stuck with crap 91 octane fuel with no E85 available?
Yes it does, apparently they wont smog the vehicle if it has been tuned. I personally haven't smogged my car yet since I bought it, but that is what I have been told by other friends with tuned vehicles.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
That’s a good idea! I just checked and there are not many options available in my area. But looks like I would be paying somewhere around 8-10k after taxes for trading in my car for an upgraded one.
It took me a long time to find the one I bought. Everything is overpriced as hell right now. Like, 2017 S trims with 50k miles are being sold for 26k+. I managed to get lucky with mine private party, and these deals are definitely out there but they take time to find. But if I was in your shoes I probably wouldnt upgrade the LSD because down the road there will just be more you want upgraded. I just saved up for a few years and made the jump.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
It took me a long time to find the one I bought. Everything is overpriced as hell right now. Like, 2017 S trims with 50k miles are being sold for 26k+. I managed to get lucky with mine private party, and these deals are definitely out there but they take time to find. But if I was in your shoes I probably wouldnt upgrade the LSD because down the road there will just be more you want upgraded. I just saved up for a few years and made the jump.

I think I want the 2017 GTI sport, PP, Lighting Package, Push button Start, NO MOONROOF, cloth seats

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
If i was in your shoes with the way the market is right now i would just do what you want to the car. I don't see the market correcting anytime soon.