GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Add functionality to infotainment to control interior\ambient light dimming?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A short while ago, I installed an aftermarket digital dash. While the dash itself has its little nuances and overall I'm satisfied with it, one of the things it impacted is that the interior\ambient lighting is no longer controlled by the roller switch next to the headlight\foglight switch. It just does nothing. This results in the infotainment screen as well as the LED's on the climatronic controls being overly bright at night, with no way to turn them down. Cuzoe pointed out that as not all Golf models worldwide have that roller switch, it may be possible to add the functionality via a slider in the infotainment, but aren't sure if that is possible or how it could be done. This thread from a few years ago mentions settings of options of “dim in menu” or “dim with roller”, but doesn't mention where they were.

If anyone has any guidance on this, it'd be appreciated. I've tried searching over Google, but am coming up empty handed :(

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So, I don't think this is going to actually accomplish what I want. I found how to add either the 'ambient lightning menu'...

1611260576481.png

Or, get the sliders added to the default 'Lighting' menu...

1611260630456.png

However, they don't dim the lighting. They actually change the color of the needle on the digital dash, for some odd reason...

My next idea is just to find out where in OBD11 I can set the max brightness of the infotainment screen, and the climatronic LEDs. Those are the two biggest culprits.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
What adaptations channels were changed to add Interior Lighting sliders to the default 'Lighting' menu? I was able to add ambient lighting menu, but it is blank. After changing head unit could never get this. Compared 5F adaptations maps of both units, but cannot see what changed between units. Fortunately, I had ambient lighting changed to where I like, but would like the ability to change back.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You're looking for the menu option for instrument lighting, NOT ambient lighting.

Thanks, I can search for that. The main lighting I want to lower is the brightness of the infotainment screen, and the climatronic controls. The actual instrument cluster has standalone brightness settings built into it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What adaptations channels were changed to add Interior Lighting sliders to the default 'Lighting' menu? I was able to add ambient lighting menu, but it is blank. After changing head unit could never get this. Compared 5F adaptations maps of both units, but cannot see what changed between units. Fortunately, I had ambient lighting changed to where I like, but would like the ability to change back.

Let me get back to my computer in a bit, I can let you know which ones they are.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

In 09 Central Electronics, adaption Interior Light; Light Configuration. I changed Mittelkonsolenbeleuchtung (Center Console Lighting) and Fussraumbeleuchtung (Footewell Lighting) from 'Not Installed' to 'Installed'. When I changed Ambientemenue mit globalem aus (Ambient menu with global) and Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen (Ambient menu with all zones) from 'Not Installed' to 'Installed', it removed those sliders from the default lightning menu to the stand alone ambient lighting screen, which was black. Changing those two back to 'Not Installed' got rid of that screen and put the sliders back in the menu.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, I can search for that. The main lighting I want to lower is the brightness of the infotainment screen, and the climatronic controls. The actual instrument cluster has standalone brightness settings built into it.
Instrument lighting dims the instrument cluster, infotainment screen, and any illuminated buttons.

LLAVES

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
A short while ago, I installed an aftermarket digital dash. While the dash itself has its little nuances and overall I'm satisfied with it, one of the things it impacted is that the interior\ambient lighting is no longer controlled by the roller switch next to the headlight\foglight switch. It just does nothing. This results in the infotainment screen as well as the LED's on the climatronic controls being overly bright at night, with no way to turn them down. Cuzoe pointed out that as not all Golf models worldwide have that roller switch, it may be possible to add the functionality via a slider in the infotainment, but aren't sure if that is possible or how it could be done. This thread from a few years ago mentions settings of options of “dim in menu” or “dim with roller”, but doesn't mention where they were.

If anyone has any guidance on this, it'd be appreciated. I've tried searching over Google, but am coming up empty handed :(
I have the same issue and haven’t had time to dig into it on OBDELEVEN. A step by step would be handy

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
In 09 Central Electronics, adaption Interior Light; Light Configuration. I changed Mittelkonsolenbeleuchtung (Center Console Lighting) and Fussraumbeleuchtung (Footewell Lighting) from 'Not Installed' to 'Installed'. When I changed Ambientemenue mit globalem aus (Ambient menu with global) and Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen (Ambient menu with all zones) from 'Not Installed' to 'Installed', it removed those sliders from the default lightning menu to the stand alone ambient lighting screen, which was black. Changing those two back to 'Not Installed' got rid of that screen and put the sliders back in the menu.
replying to this with similar situation as George Ab.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Instrument lighting dims the instrument cluster, infotainment screen, and any illuminated buttons.

Do you know if it's possible to add an instrument lightning silder to the interior lighting section? I poked around southpawboston's post here that has a translated 09 adaption map, but didn't really see anything. Or do you know if there is a way to set a max brightnesss of the infotainment screen\climatronic lights separately?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Do you know if it's possible to add an instrument lightning silder to the interior lighting section? I poked around southpawboston's post here that has a translated 09 adaption map, but didn't really see anything. Or do you know if there is a way to set a max brightnesss of the infotainment screen\climatronic lights separately?
There must be given I've got one!

If you can share an adaptation map of your BCM I can compare with mine.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Isn't instrument lighting controlled by the physical slider next to the headlight switch?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Isn't instrument lighting controlled by the physical slider next to the headlight switch?

Yes. But since I installed an aftermarket digital dash, that slider doesn't do anything.