GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acura to bring back Integra name in Spring 2022

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I always thought AWD really only caught on for performance cars because of the rally car craze initially, but now it seems to be necessary for manufacturers to chase 0-60 times or put down the bonkers amount of HP some cars are making.
Outside of McLaren, this seems true. McLaren just seems to use their trick suspension setup and computer technology to get their launch control dialed. But we're talking about a 300ish hp car here, not something pushing 700hp. It will be fine with fwd. More importantly for Honda, let's get the S2000 replacement going.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Outside of McLaren, this seems true. McLaren just seems to use their trick suspension setup and computer technology to get their launch control dialed. But we're talking about a 300ish hp car here, not something pushing 700hp. It will be fine with fwd. More importantly for Honda, let's get the S2000 replacement going.
Porsche doesn't seem to have an issue with their rwd 911's either, but having a mid or rear engine platform certainly helps.

Back to the topic at hand, the Integra was always meant to be an affordable daily driver that made a good trade-off between efficiency, comfort, and performance. I agree that AWD would be an unnecessary cost and complication.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
But the current CTR doesn't really need awd. I don't really understand awd anyway, commit to pushing or pulling, stop hedging. The best awd systems are praised for feeling like rwd. You know, the right setup. To me, fwd and awd are both compromises, and awd will obviously always be heavier. Now, I live in an area of the world that doesn't need awd for weather, so I'm biased to the performance aspects of it only.

The CTR is just so freaking huge, the old one is nearly a foot longer than our cars, and the new one is longer still, so I suspect the Integra won't help that, but with any luck, it will be a CTR that actual adults can drive. I liked the way the old Si and CTR drove, but they were so ugly inside and out, they were always out of the question for me.

In an ideal world, I would have a rwd manual hatchback/wagon. Awd is the closest to that w can probably get from these mostly fwd chassis.

I was good with fwd until I saw how early the awd/rwd guys could start accelerating out of a turn on track. Even with an lsd, the front tires can only do so much and there has to be a balance between cornering and accelerating. I am inexperienced, so there's probably ways to drive around it better, but I'm not there yet.

I guess it's a Golf R for me next time

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
In an ideal world, I would have a rwd manual hatchback/wagon. Awd is the closest to that w can probably get from these mostly fwd chassis.

I was good with fwd until I saw how early the awd/rwd guys could start accelerating out of a turn on track. Even with an lsd, the front tires can only do so much and there has to be a balance between cornering and accelerating. I am inexperienced, so there's probably ways to drive around it better, but I'm not there yet.

I guess it's a Golf R for me next time
Don't forget the benefit of a longer wheelbase with the CTR. Short wheelbases are generally more fun, but also make getting on the power earlier tougher. My M Coupe with the goofball E30 trailing arms wasn't happy until it was pointing straight ahead, and then it did its best to get back to sideways. I do like the new R, but really wish it had the ability to put more than 50% of the power to the rear. I'm waiting to see what the turbo options for the new BRZ are like, realizing that the very idea rankles a lot of people, disrupting the nature of the car, etc.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Why not supercharger for the BRZ? Surely that'd be a bit more in line with the "small, spirited, responsive NA fun machine", no?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Are you just saying things or do people actually do that?

People definitely do this, and companies sell mounting kits for the 86 chassis. People put K24s in everything -- it's the JDM LS swap, and for very good reason.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm more interested in the LSx or LTx swap, but I think we're both thinking about the same thing.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Yeah K24’s are legit. Ford as the small block, Chevy the LS, Toyota the 2JZ, Honda the K series.

I might put one in my Prelude but thinking J series would be better

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Just theoretically, can I fit a Voodoo in there? This plan might be coming together. Who needs an engine that doesn't drink oil like a Wankel?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm more interested in the LSx or LTx swap, but I think we're both thinking about the same thing.
I have an LT4, I can't even imagine what that would be like in a BRZ chassis. You'd have to find a way to put some WAY bigger tires on the back.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I have an LT4, I can't even imagine what that would be like in a BRZ chassis. You'd have to find a way to put some WAY bigger tires on the back.
Well yeah, but you can fit 11s on the old one, I assume that's still true.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Why not supercharger for the BRZ? Surely that'd be a bit more in line with the "small, spirited, responsive NA fun machine", no?
Just experience with the superchargers and turbochargers in the Miata and a friend's Exige, the turbo cars fit the nature better and were faster. Superchargers have the parasitic loss and while they make great torque down low, they just all seem to run out of oomph by the time a smallish 4 banger is starting to really rev. I guess they make more sense on big V8's, or at least augmented by a turbocharger for the upper range, like Volvo is doing.