GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Activating XDS+

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
As some of you may know, our cars are equipped with the XDS system from the mk6 gti. What it does is brake the front inner wheel when turning to reduce understeer and thus improve street handling. On the mk7 gti, they have the XDS+ system which brakes both the front and rear inner wheels to further improve handling (for reference https://www.volkswagen.com.my/golf/golfgti/xds). A user named carl- on vortex posed the question on whether we could enable the + version on our cars through simply coding.

The XDS system is controlled by the the ABS system and my parts lookup found that our cars (my 2015 at least) have the same abs systems as the GTI. While my search was mostly dead-ends, I did find that passat owners were enabling XDS on their cars which did not have it enabled from factory.

Another user Karstgeo (tigeo here) had found this image
1574075075212.png

I got my obdeleven and checked my abs long coding and while byte 23 did not have the descriptions, my car seemed to be consistent with the above options (bit 2, 4, 5, and 7 were checked). Byte 2 was already checked so I checked byte 1 and coded it. I went ahead and also unchecked byte 7 based off some other threads I had read.

No fault codes, so that's good. Did a short drive and it does seem to feel like the XDS effect is now more noticeable but it could be placebo or the removal of DSR. I initially had my XDS set to medium but I dialed it back to weak as it felt a bit stronger but have not gone on another drive yet.

That being said, I don't know if I actually did anything but if anyone would like to give it a try themselves and report back, I would be interested to hear.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
HAHAHAHA - that was from me. Found that after I was searching for some mods to the Haldex, did some translating of a page in German, and found that Google sheet. I really just want to see a car that is known to have the XDS+ (ideally the Alltrack) and see what byte 23 looks like.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
HAHAHAHA - that was from me. Found that after I was searching for some mods to the Haldex, did some translating of a page in German, and found that Google sheet. I really just want to see a car that is known to have the XDS+ (ideally the Alltrack) and see what byte 23 looks like.

lol didn’t see that it was a different person that replied to that thread. Gave you credit. On fb, one of the guys posted his atlas coding with 1 and 2 checked

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The Atlas guy = me..ahhahaah

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

If there is something I can check on my Alltrack to help you out, let me know. Just give me dumb down instructions for OBDEleven. I'm not technically dumb, but the less brain cells I need to use to help you out, the happier I would be. ;)

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
If there is something I can check on my Alltrack to help you out, let me know. Just give me dumb down instructions for OBDEleven. I'm not technically dumb, but the less brain cells I need to use to help you out, the happier I would be. ;)

hey thanks for offering! If you could go to the “brake” (03) module and then “long coding” and then go to “byte 23” and take a screenshot from there, it would be very helpful!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
hey thanks for offering! If you could go to the “brake” (03) module and then “long coding” and then go to “byte 23” and take a screenshot from there, it would be very helpful!

Sounds straight forward enough. I'll try to get this to you tonight or tomorrow.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting thought, has anyone tried to check what byte 23 looks like on GTI's?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
XDS+ cars utilize the VAQ (Vorderachsquersperre) differential. Our cars don't have this.
Incorrect, the Alltrack, Sportwagon, R, and non performance-pack GTI are all listed as having XDS+.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The GTI doesn't either...

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Unless I'm mistaken the OP who is trying to add XDS+ has a 2015 Golf 1.8T. He doesn't have the physical clutch unit that goes between the driveshaft and diff. So no, he won't be able to turn it on in the software. Plus, I'm willing to bet the ABS control module software is different, not just the soft coding.
XDS+ has no mechanical relation to a diff or the driveshaft. It functions off braking the inner wheels while turning to simulate a diff. Based off how other modules tend to be coded, it does not seem likely that the actual software is different and cracking the code on how to activate XDS+ instead of XDS is the goal here

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Here you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-125032.png
    Screenshot_20191119-125032.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 322

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Here you go.
thank you

what year is your all track? Looks like you have coding that I would suspect be for the non + but alltrack supposedly has Xds+ for 17 and 18 MY but not 19 based off media release

If you want to go one further, checking bit 1 and seeing if the car drives differently would be very helpful testing :)