GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acoustic insulating Project - 3 leaks found so far

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
This was my experience making the car quieter. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/making-golf-interior-quieter.353395/ A lot of work, but I have been enjoying the benefits for a few years now. I found the most gain was just doing the rear of the car where there is no insulation under carpet, so I would focus there. Just lower the seat and redo your noise measurements, but you will be able to tell with your ears how much the noise increases. I did the doors after the rear. I really could not tell a difference, but I did not measure. Definitely could tell the difference when I did the rear.

Instructions for resetting airbag here: select module 15, reset fault codes:
Thanks George, interesting to read your thread. You did a really tidy job. (y) I will try copy yours once i sort out the front. :)

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
As you have the "R-Line" you should have the multi-link rear suspension...you can fit the MK8 lower rear arm aero covers..& the rear subframe harmonic damper..both items will reduce inherent resonance from the rear suspension, not masses, but a noticeable difference...You could also retrofit the other undertrays, like the front exhaust tunnel, & the rear exhaust tunnel trays..& the short rear axle undertray from the MK8...also either fit the skid tray or the full aero cover for the engine bay underside...again all reducing the wind turbulence & thus noise..
Do you jave part numbers for this by chance?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
As you have the "R-Line" you should have the multi-link rear suspension...you can fit the MK8 lower rear arm aero covers..& the rear subframe harmonic damper..both items will reduce inherent resonance from the rear suspension, not masses, but a noticeable difference...You could also retrofit the other undertrays, like the front exhaust tunnel, & the rear exhaust tunnel trays..& the short rear axle undertray from the MK8...also either fit the skid tray or the full aero cover for the engine bay underside...again all reducing the wind turbulence & thus noise..
Hi Dave, I fitted the A3 Harmonic Damper just in hope more than anything. I‘m not sure I had the issue it can potentially resolve but, I haven’t heard the graunching(if that’s a word) sound that I used to get when the rear suspension went over steepish speed bumps. Not sure if that’s a coincidence but I’m enjoying not hearing it :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi Dave, I fitted the A3 Harmonic Damper just in hope more than anything. I‘m not sure I had the issue it can potentially resolve but, I haven’t heard the graunching(if that’s a word) sound that I used to get when the rear suspension went over steepish speed bumps. Not sure if that’s a coincidence but I’m enjoying not hearing it :)

Yeah it removes certain frequencies...& for the ease of fitment & the cheapish cost its one of the best "no-brainer" mods...

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Good Afternoon Folks,

Just an update on my opening post(Quest to quieten and improve my Golf) for anyone interested.

Acoustic work done:

Boot area and rear wheel arches - Sound deadening only applied so far
4 doors - Sound deadening applied. Mix of 4mm and 8mm Noico Red installed in various locations
Car Floor & under rear seat - Sound deadening applied. Mix of 4mm and 8mm Noico Red installed in various locations

50mph - Before 73db -- After 70db (3db improvement)
60mph - Before 77db -- After 72db (5db improvement)
70mph - Before 80db -- After 73db (7db improvement)
EFE71D48-6B7A-447C-96BA-E4B0168D40E9.jpeg

46E8FB13-7B42-4C30-BB41-71141F85B1F2.jpeg

EF069E3B-9164-4EB2-A600-0A17E6888DF1.jpeg

D7D66ED3-818A-46B0-8AC2-FA343F01BC27.png

Additional work done:

2 x rear bumper pressure vents sealed to prevent reoccurrence of puddle found in spare wheel well.
DDAE6665-A6FE-4D44-941D-9E2F9545A035.png

1 x Harmonic Damper installed on rear subframe(Thanks GolfDave).

1 x drain hose(VW badge boot opening handle) replaced, found perished, causing moisture ingress.

2 x rear doors modified internally with silicone to alter the moisture path taken by the drain water. The water was coming in at either end of the window glass seals. The forward entry point had the water naturally draining down over the back of the speaker. If your speaker seals and destroyed(Very likely) then this water will come inside the car and pool in the rear passenger footwells.
NOTE: I was unaware i even had this water inside as it goes through the carpet and gets soaked up in the underlay. I found a puddle, maybe 1 litre or more.
0E140668-13D8-40BB-B796-3987CC76EA66.jpeg

4 x Speakers and tweeters replaced from stock 20W to Pioneer 80W.

Overall i am very happy with the acoustics. The car is noticeably more quiet. I had a long journey of 400 miles this week and it's less noisy. You can listen to music at a lower level as it's not fighting other noise. I can hear frequencies in music/radio that i was missing before. I'm not having to raise my voice to have a conversation with a passenger(unless i need to raise my voice to that passenger ;) ). The car is also much warmer.

I'm sure i haven't done everything right as i'm only learning as i go, but it's been very enjoyable to get good results and i've learned alot. The weak points in the car in relation to moisture ingress i hope to had addressed without any unintended consequences, time will tell.

This took a long time and ideally you should have a garage or dry/warmer weather. I did this outside in the cold with a heatgun :) If anyone wants to do this and i can save them time/effort with the benefit of my experience, just message me.

Tel

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Wow!
Ear plugs less work.
Impressive to say the least.

I would have to agree, for 3, 5, 7db improvement wouldn't be my goal for a project like this.. 10, 15, 17 maybe...

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition

I would have to agree, for 3, 5, 7db improvement wouldn't be my goal for a project like this.. 10, 15, 17 maybe...
We are all motivated by different things. Thanks for sharing your opinion on what you deem to be a waste of time.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Impressive project, I know how much work it is to do all of that.
We are all motivated by different things. Thanks for sharing your opinion on what you deem to be a waste of time.
You are correct, however, no need to be an ass about it.

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Impressive project, I know how much work it is to do all of that.

You are correct, however, no need to be an ass about it.
I’m just a fella who took the time out of my day to document my experience and offer help to anyone who might be considering taking it on. Helpful.
Somebody taking their time to tell me and anyone reading that they feel it’s a waste of time, unhelpful. Find something better to do and don’t be discouraging people from sharing or working on what they feel important just because it’s not the way you would do it. This is how every message board ever gets polarised and turns into a sewer. We are supposed to be helping each other.
You characterising my behaviour as being an ass for doing this, unhelpful.
I won’t comment any more on this. As I said above, anyone who wants help, just shout.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I’m just a fella who took the time out of my day to document my experience and offer help to anyone who might be considering taking it on. Helpful.
Somebody taking their time to tell me and anyone reading that they feel it’s a waste of time, unhelpful. Find something better to do and don’t be discouraging people from sharing or working on what they feel important just because it’s not the way you would do it. This is how every message board ever gets polarised and turns into a sewer. We are supposed to be helping each other.
You characterising my behaviour as being an ass for doing this, unhelpful.
I won’t comment any more on this. As I said above, anyone who wants help, just shout.
I never said anything of the sort.. I just said what my goal would be if I were to embark on this endeavor. So your comment would be considered being an Ass about it. But thank you anyways for documenting this for others to see. Even though there might not be that great of a reduction of db's I'm sure it filtered out more unwanted frequencies and rattles.