GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acoustic insulating Project - 3 leaks found so far

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You'd probably be much better off using sm600 thinsulate than the noico in the gap space. I know you already did it but for anyone else reading this thread.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Thanks Bass lover. That’s a top explanation 👍🏻 This is what confused me a little. Why are all these YouTube videos showing people doing 100% deadener on Their doors?! Dynamat Xtreme etc... will just prevent resonance, so you only need 25%+ as you said? These folks are using it as though it’s a sound insulator?!!

I think I’ve enough on the drivers door now to proceed with applying the Noico closed cell product. My only issue is where to apply it. Seeing different opinions in different videos.

1. inside the door itself, on the outer skin?
2. On the door inner skin on top of the Dynamat?
3. on the back of the door trim panel/card?

if the correct place is 2, then do I stick it on top of all the electronic modules and wire harnesses on the door? Pic below before Dynamat applied...
View attachment 194289
Thanks again for your views/info. ☺

Here's how i did mine - not saying its the best or the worst but helped.
1606838528086.png

1606838542516.png

1606838564062.png

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
also need to look into 'thinsulate' for the empty areas! i can really see that helping in areas like the doors, inside the pillars, behind some of the panels....

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
there's 2 kinds, sm600 is thicker but compresses and 200 is thinner and can fit anywhere. It's used a lot in RV's and van conversions.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
It’s an enjoyable project alright. Just so time consuming. If you have a garage and no need to move the car for days it would be great. I don’t have a garage 😞

did you not have any carpet at all?! Or just no underlay under the black carpet?
No carpet at all. It went like this.. bare metal > spare tire > floor board > floor liner

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Personally I would be concerned about weight in all of this.

In my experience with my camper van a little rattle trap goes a very long way and it only need be placed in smaller pieces strategically in the largest "open" panel areas.

And I've already mentioned the thinsulate, but its much lighter than some of the other options.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Personally I would be concerned about weight in all of this.

In my experience with my camper van a little rattle trap goes a very long way and it only need be placed in smaller pieces strategically in the largest "open" panel areas.

And I've already mentioned the thinsulate, but its much lighter than some of the other options.
yeah absolutely MVL is the one that adds TONS of weight when considering its 1lbs per SF to be effective, but my research and experience with "sound deadening" cars mlv is the item that creates the sound barrier between the inside and outside of the car.

but yeah same reason for me is what's held me back from adding the MLV so far on my car still... granted I've probably got one of the heavier manual / non sunroof GTIs already with all the crap I've added, lol, thankful for the excessive power since its still quite the mover.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This was my experience making the car quieter. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/making-golf-interior-quieter.353395/ A lot of work, but I have been enjoying the benefits for a few years now. I found the most gain was just doing the rear of the car where there is no insulation under carpet, so I would focus there. Just lower the seat and redo your noise measurements, but you will be able to tell with your ears how much the noise increases. I did the doors after the rear. I really could not tell a difference, but I did not measure. Definitely could tell the difference when I did the rear.

Instructions for resetting airbag here: select module 15, reset fault codes:

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Thanks for the tip on adding a CCF layer to the underside if my trunk false floor! Quick and easy if nothing else.

Also, For anyone reading this thread, you probably also hate having anything sliding or rolling around your hatch when driving around. These are nets for a skoda, found em on ebay for like 45? They look cool. Not a perfect fit but really fit for the gti, but also bad at all. Plus 5hp for red race car stuff too!
20201209_143457.jpg

20201209_143816.jpg

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Afternoon folks,

Just updating my progress as i found some issues that will be useful for all to look out for. Pulled out the centre console, carpets and underlay felt so i could continue to sound deaden and insulate.

Massive puddle found in the footwell behind the drivers seat. The other side was damp but not too bad. See below for the condition of the felt and also how much water was in there when i put my foot on it... :(

222812C0-C948-45B3-9B59-B05D1450CEEF.jpeg

0166B9AF-A7A1-4255-AFD5-EA9EBE6F5DE7.jpeg

88D4DD87-51EC-42E0-8B6E-1BA81317F595.png

Last edited:

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
So the usual problem except worse, speaker seal was completely destroyed on the door where the footwell was sodden. I had not noticed the water as i'm never in the back of the car, although lately on a cold morning the car was taking a long time to defog!! :(

So from what i have read online, the inside of the door between the skins is a 'wet area'. The window seals don't really seal at all in the corners and instead port the water through the door and out the bottom via a forward and aft drain hole.

Judging from the amount of water that was in the car, this suggests my door was full of water at some point and not draining! See below for a grubby waterline inside the speaker cutout, about 2 inches high! I'm concerned about this because the drain holes were completely clear, so how did water pool up so high in there? I have checked with the doors closed and poured water in there to test if the drain holes still function when the door seals are in the closed position. And the water still drains quickly. So i have no idea how so much accrued in the door, caused that waterline and flooded my rear....

Would love to establish how that happened before i install my new speaker.....

A3DB5460-4C9F-4D01-968F-16B71DB3FD86.jpeg

4DA6CFC0-B3D5-4A92-9830-DA004AC541EA.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
in for more! i bet taking the entire interior out was fun but it will be even more fun to put it back in with hella padding and sound deadening!