GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accurately reading that stupid dipstick...

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Preface: yes, I've seen the posts/read the manual where you check it a few minutes after shut down.

Since ownership, I've never been able to properly determine where on the dipstick my oil is at. Every other car I've owned I could pretty easily spot it even when it's still super thin and light. On the GTI I almost always find it draining down from way over the top of the mark. Today I did my first oil change and realized this causes somewhat of an issue. I drained the factory oil into a graduated container, got just a hair under 6qts. So I added back ~5.2qts. As is tradition, I always add back less, run it up to operating temp, check for leaks, then re-check level and add a bit more at a time till I'm in the center of the marks. Then re-check again around 50-100 miles. I much prefer this over just replacing whatever quantity I got out.

Yes, I've read the many threads on here that say to check the dipstick a few minutes after you shut it down. I checked it 1 min, 5 min, 10 mins after shut down wiping it each time before taking a reading. It was about the same each time. If it were to be believed, I have somewhere in the range of almost ~7qts in there now :mad: I've attached a photo where I've tried to enhance to show what it is I'm seeing. The red dashed line shows where it's at it's minimum level (everything under here covered in oil). But even then if you look closely you can see the edge of it where it's skewed to the right side all the way up to the twist. I've never read it where theres just a sharp horizontal cutoff like I'm used to. Any other car I've owned this would pretty much indicate I'm way over (and in my opinion, dangerously over).

What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this issue? How are you ensuring proper oil level after a change? I'm not trying to be anal about it, it's just... making it difficult for me after doing oil changes a certain way for 20 years.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 8,723

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I have noticed that when the dipstick is hard to read, it may help to turn it 180* so that the hashes end up on the other side of the stick when it gets inserted.

I usually have to dip it a couple of times (wiping clean in between), and find a bright source of light. Then look for the "L" shape that is left by the oil. The bottom of the L , where the oil completely covers the hashes. ie: the level at which the oil is at.

Hope that makes 'some' sense...

LHBALESJR

I've got some concerns about reading mine as well, but I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you saying that your level is where your red dashed line is shown? If so, that would appear to be slightly overfilled.

What I am finding is that unless the car is PERFECTLY LEVEL, the oil reading can be off significantly. Also, there is quite a bit of difference between cold and hot. I am aware that the manual says to check at operating temp but to allow a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. When mine is cold, mine is about 1/3rd into the hatched area, but when hot it is almost at the top of the hatched area.

I currently have about 1100 miles on the car.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
That's what's confusing. I removed nearly 6qts, put back in a little over 5. It seems to me, from what I'm reading where the oil is at on the stick, it's overfilled.

LHBALESJR

Is it a clear line of oil at that point or could it be picking up a little oil as it rubs against the tube as you are sliding it in? I always seem to have a hard time finding the exact level because there is some oil on the stick at at higher point than the actual level from where it's rubbing against the tube.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I've changed mine twice. Both times it took exactly 5.7L to get to the top of the hash marks, which coincidentally is the capacity stated in the manual.

Yes, the dipstick can be tough to read, but don't overthink it too much. Just refill about 5.5L after an oil change and fine-tune the level from there. Don't go above 6L.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Yes, I've read the many threads on here that say to check the dipstick a few minutes after you shut it down. I checked it 1 min, 5 min, 10 mins after shut down wiping it each time before taking a reading. It was about the same each time.

That's weird, as when I check mine after 1 minute of shut down, the marking on the dipstick shows way less than after 5 minutes. I always check at 8-10 minutes after shut down, as that is the time I see the highest marking of oil in the dipstick.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
That's weird, as when I check mine after 1 minute of shut down, the marking on the dipstick shows way less than after 5 minutes. I always check at 8-10 minutes after shut down, as that is the time I see the highest marking of oil in the dipstick.

I agree with this. You want to check it after it's been at operating temperature and several minutes after shutoff so all oil has dripped down to the pan.

SRoads

Ready to race!
I have included a picture of your oil lvl. Add a .5 qt. You took out 6 qts, but only added 5 qts back. It's low

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 16,682

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
I have included a picture of your oil lvl. Add a .5 qt. You took out 6 qts, but only added 5 qts back. It's low

Thanks but it's tough to properly photo such thin (new) oil. The red dashed mark at the top is where everything underneath is solid coated. The part you marked is just where it drained down from gravity within the few seconds after removing it. Granted I know it looks like thats the solid part.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Preface: yes, I've seen the posts/read the manual where you check it a few minutes after shut down.

Since ownership, I've never been able to properly determine where on the dipstick my oil is at. Every other car I've owned I could pretty easily spot it even when it's still super thin and light. On the GTI I almost always find it draining down from way over the top of the mark. Today I did my first oil change and realized this causes somewhat of an issue. I drained the factory oil into a graduated container, got just a hair under 6qts. So I added back ~5.2qts. As is tradition, I always add back less, run it up to operating temp, check for leaks, then re-check level and add a bit more at a time till I'm in the center of the marks. Then re-check again around 50-100 miles. I much prefer this over just replacing whatever quantity I got out.

Yes, I've read the many threads on here that say to check the dipstick a few minutes after you shut it down. I checked it 1 min, 5 min, 10 mins after shut down wiping it each time before taking a reading. It was about the same each time. If it were to be believed, I have somewhere in the range of almost ~7qts in there now :mad: I've attached a photo where I've tried to enhance to show what it is I'm seeing. The red dashed line shows where it's at it's minimum level (everything under here covered in oil). But even then if you look closely you can see the edge of it where it's skewed to the right side all the way up to the twist. I've never read it where theres just a sharp horizontal cutoff like I'm used to. Any other car I've owned this would pretty much indicate I'm way over (and in my opinion, dangerously over).

What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this issue? How are you ensuring proper oil level after a change? I'm not trying to be anal about it, it's just... making it difficult for me after doing oil changes a certain way for 20 years.

You're .5 a qt low
You can get a Vagcom or an ODB-11 and read the vehicles oil level sensor. I believe it reads the pan from 0mm(empty) to somewhere around 75mm. I would have to do some digging to get the exact max number.

Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
You're .5 a qt low
You can get a Vagcom or an ODB-11 and read the vehicles oil level sensor. I believe it reads the pan from 0mm(empty) to somewhere around 75mm. I would have to do some digging to get the exact max number.

Following. I've hard the hardest time as well determining oil level so it'd be cool to find out through OBD-11.

yowalter

Passed Driver's Ed
I just suffered with this issue today, damn thing keeps catching oil from farther up the tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk