GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accessport question/ thought

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
So lastnight I got the idea of selling my Jb4 and getting an accessport through EQT. Call it planning for a one day big turbo.

Has anyone who picked up an accessport added any of the additional features:
Cobb Launch Control (Fuel Cut Based), Cobb Adjustable Traction Control, Cobb Flat Foot Shifting, Burbles in Sport Mode, Burbles in Normal Mode . It seems to be they are free, isn't launch control only for dsg? traction control seems meh, No idea what flat foot shifting is. and Burbles in x mode.. im assuming thats like dsg farts. It would be a big step. Part of me thinks maybe just wait til i go big turbo to all the upgrades. Hard to justify 4k tho

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Launch control is not just for DSG. Flat foot shifting, which is what I have, is where you keep your foot on the accelerator and shift gears without lifting your foot off the accelerator.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Launch control is not just for DSG. Flat foot shifting, which is what I have, is where you keep your foot on the accelerator and shift gears without lifting your foot off the accelerator.
ah good to know, i guess thats some sorta drag racing technique, just thinking about it is kinda funny like pedal 100, and always 100, but shift. Part of my thinks the EQT base stage 2 map isn't going to be much more than jb4 (power wise tho) I would have to sell jb4, then shell out another 400 for accessport. Just seem to be going down the rabbit hole

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You can see vids on LC and No lift on the Cobb site with a manual car.

if you are not trying to maintain a warranty aside from cost there is no reason to not go eqt and get rid of jb4. Seeing your logs your car will be night and day with A flash tune. Also not just more “power” but overall drivability beyond Tuning for WOT only.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
You can see vids on LC and No lift on the Cobb site with a manual car.

if you are not trying to maintain a warranty aside from cost there is no reason to not go eqt and get rid of jb4. Seeing your logs your car will be night and day with A flash tune. Also not just more “power” but overall drivability beyond Tuning for WOT only.
good point, I am coming up on end of warranty I believe. Not exactly sure if they will mail me something to let me know but I got the car in 2017

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
yes. Bought an ECU only AP, then added DSG functionality separately from EQT. Ed won't add launch control or burbles until after your 1st tune and log; he'll give it to you through the revised 2nd tune, through email.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I just went from JB4 to an AP with EQT Stage 2 OTS tune – the difference in power is huge, even coming from a Map 6 that George helped me put together that gave me more power than Map 2 or 3. With the EQT tune, the front tires would chirp if I floored it in 4th at 75mph. My stock clutch (I'm at 97k miles – JB4 since about 67k) which was holding up absolutely fine for 30k miles on the JB4 gave up the ghost on day one of the EQT tune. Giving it some proper gas in 3rd and the slippage was immediate.

Unfortunately, I'm a freelance photographer in NYC and it looks like my income has just ceased for at least the rest of this year, and all the good performance shops are closed, so I can't replace the clutch as planned. Back to the JB4 at the moment while I wait to see how things pan out.

FWIW, the Cobb traction control is (was) brilliant, I think.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
yes. Bought an ECU only AP, then added DSG functionality separately from EQT. Ed won't add launch control or burbles until after your 1st tune and log; he'll give it to you through the revised 2nd tune, through email.
i wonder if that's the case with his OTS tunes also.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I just went from JB4 to an AP with EQT Stage 2 OTS tune – the difference in power is huge, even coming from a Map 6 that George helped me put together that gave me more power than Map 2 or 3. With the EQT tune, the front tires would chirp if I floored it in 4th at 75mph. My stock clutch (I'm at 97k miles – JB4 since about 67k) which was holding up absolutely fine for 30k miles on the JB4 gave up the ghost on day one of the EQT tune. Giving it some proper gas in 3rd and the slippage was immediate.

Unfortunately, I'm a freelance photographer in NYC and it looks like my income has just ceased for at least the rest of this year, and all the good performance shops are closed, so I can't replace the clutch as planned. Back to the JB4 at the moment while I wait to see how things pan out.

FWIW, the Cobb traction control is (was) brilliant, I think.
what is the traction control bit? I didn't look into it really just thought it was turning it on/off via cobb AP (which seems like meh since ya know you can do it from settings in dash

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
i wonder if that's the case with his OTS tunes also.
Those extra features are available on his ots tunes for no extra charge.

What I gathered from Cobb, is that you actually purchase the DSG functionality for the AP, and the maps come "free" with it. Same thing with EQT when he was running that special. I'll say that his DSG tune is MONEY.....shifts never leave me lacking. Way better than Uni Stg2

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
what is the traction control bit? I didn't look into it really just thought it was turning it on/off via cobb AP (which seems like meh since ya know you can do it from settings in dash

I honestly didn't know what it was until I floored it one time and it was like the ECU tanked everything and cut my power by 50%. The ECU without traction control, evidently sees the spike in boost and shuts everything down to bring it back down into a normal area. Now that I have traction control, it just goes....and goes....and goes

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I honestly didn't know what it was until I floored it one time and it was like the ECU tanked everything and cut my power by 50%. The ECU without traction control, evidently sees the spike in boost and shuts everything down to bring it back down into a normal area. Now that I have traction control, it just goes....and goes....and goes
ah so it by-passes the ecu limiter for no traction, that makes sense