GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC Retrofit for MK7 GTI

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Update:

Coding seems to be fairly involved and I paid a coder to do it, name is Doctor I think on the forums here.

I went with a newer radar setup from a MK7.5 that mounts behind the badge, thus also requiring me to use a 7.5 upper grille. It will fit fairly secure however it will have some gaps on the sides and bottom, can be closed up on the bottom with some weatherstripping if you want. I did not go with the original round radar since I did not want to have to get rid of my FMIC.

As far as wiring it seems theres variations between MK7s, some are able and have pre-existing wiring in the T17 plug (black left plug behind the hood relase panel), in my case I had nothing there, so I needed to directly tap the Can Low and High plugs (respectively Port 7 can low and Port 17 can High) from the radar harness straight into the plug for the Can Gateway Module. Power wire, simplier to just get a fuse tape wire and tap into any of the switched fuses behind the small storage compartment, all the 3rd (bottom) row of mini fuses are switched, there is a ground bolt you can use to the bottom left of this same fuse panel.

Warning on buying used Can Gateway modules, mine ended up being VIN locked and luckly could be unlocked via ODIS but coder has to submit it to VW and need proof of puchase, extra cost from coder but not too much. Can buy new units from aliexpress to avoid that issue as well.

List of parts needed for this below, you don't have to swap the ABS module in my case.

Grille: 5G0853651CKCEE
Grille Badge (Ceramic badge needed for radar to pass signal through): 3G0-853-601-A-JZA
Rear Speed Sensors (not side specific): WHT003864A
CAN Gateway Module: 5Q0907530Q
Steering Wheel Buttons (Different versions can be used, this is the appropriate MK7 version): 5G0959442N
Radar: 3QF907561D
Harness (there are combo listings too): 4F0972708

I hope this compilation helps someone doing this setup, theres info out there but missing pieces and small details that, matter hah.

Last edited:

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
I just did this myself on my Golf, so I might be able to help out a bit. Depends on which radar you're using. If it's the round (LRR) radar, it's pretty easy. Just need to remove Component Protection using ODIS-S online (hard part is getting access to this tool) and then make the required coding changes in this guide

If you're using the flat radar (MRR) it's more difficult as it requires SWaP code changes and re-flashing the radar control unit, but it's not impossible. I found a Russian guide for this and was successful in doing the retrofit :cool:

edit: looks like you have a 2017 GTI, so if you have the radar already in the car for Front Assist it's the flat one

Last edited:

tmbzip

Ready to race!
I don't have any front assist unfortunately, its a base S. I did find someone that does coding for this and will maybe just let them do it after I install all the parts 😅. Will compile the list of parts needed, I will have to use a MK7.5 Grille to fit the MRR flat radar since its the flat upper grille mounted radar behind the badge and I have an FMIC I didn't want to remove, will see how to make that fit.. If anyone wants to install the round LRR radar that guide posted above outlines just about everything.

Do you have a link to the russian guide?

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
Oh yeah whoops I meant to link it in the last post: ACC and pACC activation - VAG car coding

As long as you don't have any issues with the radar wanting to be re-calibrated, it should essentially be the same exact process as mine was, just with different parameter files since the radar is mounted in the upper position for your plans

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Oh yeah whoops I meant to link it in the last post: ACC and pACC activation - VAG car coding

As long as you don't have any issues with the radar wanting to be re-calibrated, it should essentially be the same exact process as mine was, just with different parameter files since the radar is mounted in the upper position for your plans
Perfect thanks, will update this thread when I get everything sorted out!

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
do you need more hardware if you already have front assist braking (factory radar) and regular cc?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
do you need more hardware if you already have front assist braking (factory radar) and regular cc?
You will 100% need to replace your steering wheel buttons, but beyond that if you have front assist radar already you can most likely have ACC activated remotely by your vendor of choice. Said vendor will want a scan of the car to confirm first, and they will let you know.

You also need rear wheel ABS sensors (part#: WHT003864A) but you may have them already. They are inexpensive in any case.

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
I'm ~80% sure if you have the emergency braking part of front assist you should already have the correct bi-directional ABS sensors or at the very least the correct ABS module. I was able to check via the VW parts website so it's easy to tell for your specific trim/year. Mine had a slightly different (newer?) revision but everything works 🤷

I believe there was also some coding in the ABS module that confirmed the presence of bi-directional sensors. That one ABS coding spreadsheet is where you'd be able to figure out which bit(s) have to do with that.

Last edited: