GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC Radar issues

mruss5891

Car(s)
13 Golf GT,17 Superb
Hi all,

I have a 2013 mk7 golf 150 tdi. The ACC has stopped working recently. I have done a bit of investigation, had the car scanned, and It looks like the radar is non-functional/damaged.

My main question is, does anyone know if it is possible to replace my rounded radar for the newer style flat radar? I am struggling to source a good like for like replacement. There are plenty of the new style radars available, and even more unfortunate for a 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the rounded one!

Many thanks for any help.

Marc

mruss5891

Car(s)
13 Golf GT,17 Superb
Morning,

I removed the radar last night to confirm current part no., its 5Q0 907 541 G. Can anyone help regards above, or alternatively replacing with same part number with L instead of G? Will this need coded to fit?

Many thanks

Marc

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
It will need coding by someone with the factory scan tool as far as I’m aware, such as the dealer, I believe they are paired with the car so that makes using a second hand one more difficult! Have a search with google, I've seen threads about radar replacement on here in the past.

mruss5891

Car(s)
13 Golf GT,17 Superb
Thanks for the response. I've found a few posts regards the radar, a lot about retrofitting them in the states. Not so much on trying to replace cheaply.....

I see there was a member on here able to 'un-pair' them previously, but doesn't seem to be active recently. Anyone have any experience of being able to re-code these radars without a trip to the dealers?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Good info. I never heard of a radar unit needing pairing or marrying to the car.
It’s component protection basically, but I thought I might open up a can of worms if I called it that so explained it in layman’s terms! Although even after CP removal on a second hand unit it will take some coding to get it to function correctly on the new car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It’s component protection basically, but I thought I might open up a can of worms if I called it that so explained it in layman’s terms! Although even after CP removal on a second hand unit it will take some coding to get it to function correctly on the new car.
I'll have to ask my mechanic when I take my car in for the 4-year service if he's ever changed one. What would really be nice is if the newer unit that goes behind the VW emblem could be used, because it's more powerful and features farther pedestrian detection.

mruss5891

Car(s)
13 Golf GT,17 Superb
From what I've read, it's not possible to upgrade to the newer type. Mines is the old Bulbous LRR radar though. Guess your car has the new flat MRR? I still don't believe its possible (purely from the multiple pages I've read through!) One was on here.... I have fitted a replacement radar with the exact same code, now need to see if I can get the component protection taken off and get working on the car. Is there a place where I can post, to see if anyone has VCDS local, and could adapt the car to accept new radar? Can't say I fancy a trip to the dealers! with a 7.5 year old car on 106k! Sure there would be a long list/bill if I did that! :)

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I know all there is to know about MQB radars.

NO you cannot replace the round one with the flat one.

NO you cannot clear Component Protection with VCDS, it's a trip to the dealer (or independent with dealer-level access).

most likely the radar will require calibration. again, dealer or maybe ask a glass center (since they calibrate cameras, they might have the radar calibration jig too).

mruss5891

Car(s)
13 Golf GT,17 Superb
Hey everyone,

I must apologise, I have done what I really dislike with this post. I never concluded it with our outcome.

as above, we did manage to replace the radar, I spent a lot of time measuring the original radar on its bracket, and then passed this positioning onto newer one while installing. (.I.e. vernier measurements of where possible between bracket and radar body)

the replacement was in an entirely different orientation, significantly different, whether it had been manipulated when being removed from donor vehicle, I am not sure, but I would said if you would like to attempt a cheap repair, take a lot of time checking the original position before complete removal.

I unfortunately had a broken bolt to contend with aswell, one of the two bolts snapped when removing bracket with radar attached from car, this was a fun job to repair! I recommend giving the bolts a few soaks in WD or similar.

We were fortunate to find a local garage that had the facilities to remove the CP and do the necessary coding to suit. If i recall, it cost us around £80 for this to be completed. VW Dundee had quoted us around £100 to do this for us, but we had concerns off extra problems that may arise once car was in…. 🧐

the local garage we’re up front and did mention that we might still need to get the new radar aligned properly too the car, but we have had no problems since the change. I believe we were fortunate with the duplicating of the previous positioning.

cheers
Marc

isacheema

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GT 2.0 DSG MK7
Morning,

I removed the radar last night to confirm current part no., its 5Q0 907 541 G. Can anyone help regards above, or alternatively replacing with same part number with L instead of G? Will this need coded to fit?

Many thanks

Marc
Hi,

I was wondering if you would be able to tell me how you removed the radar as I have the same issue and need to check the part number

Thanks

mruss5891

Car(s)
13 Golf GT,17 Superb
Hi,

I was wondering if you would be able to tell me how you removed the radar as I have the same issue and need to check the part number

Thanks
Hey,
Sorry, not been on for a while. The radar should pop out of bracket.
but I unbolted the bracket (2 bolts) and removed both so I could measure positioning of radar on bracket.
Not sure if you have managed to remove in the last 2 weeks?
If I can help, please message. There’s a few posts kicking about that would be of interest…. If your looking to repair, Dave in below post was working on a project earlier in the year.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...-when-swapping-parts-info.386155/post-7674014

cheers
Marc