GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC Not available, DTC1038 & 1043

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
The last couple of days when I've started the car after standing either overnight or while I've been at work, the Front assist/ACC system has decided to stop working.

This has happened 3 times in total, and of those times it has started working again after turning off and on again. When it's working it seems to be working fine, detects the other cars in front etc.

I managed to pull 2x DTC's from module 13 (front radar) which are 1038 and 1043, I don't know what the descriptions are for these codes and can't seem to find any reference to them on the net. They appear as 'intermittent' and have cleared ok, but then come back first start after work or overnight.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Only other thing to consider which I've read could be related; the front drivers side spring recently snapped (maybe a week before this started) and I pulled out about half a coil that was sitting on the spring seat, so obviously this side of the car is sitting down by maybe 5-8mm but it's not pulling to the side and steering wheel angle is exactly as it was previous.

Cheers.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
This fault turned out to be the battery failing. Replaced the 8 year old battery and cleared about 100 codes from various modules in the car, all related to missing communication messages etc, has been working perfectly ever since, even the stop-start has started start stopping again, which it was only doing rarely previously.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Just wanted to update this, as this was only part of the problem.

The root cause was the radar itself failing, water ingress, corrosion and ultimately damage to the PCB inside.

However, I'm an electronics engineer and was able to rebuild the radar unit (early, 2013 model with domed front). I'm presently considdering offering a postal repair service for this type of radar (not the flat front ones), feel free to contact me if you have any questions.