Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I would avoid anything that comes with a "coating", ie. Cobalt, Titanium, Adamantium, Unobtanium... joke aside, the coating only helps against corrosion.

Any HSS (high speed steel) drill bit would be fine, if the set costs less than $10, I wouldn't use it for anything other than wood, plastic or soft metals (aluminum, copper, brass) If you can afford it, a decent set from Fein will last you a long time. Other than that Irwin makes some decent bits. Run of the mill you can get Kobalt, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc...

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
I would avoid anything that comes with a "coating", ie. Cobalt, Titanium, Adamantium, Unobtanium... joke aside, the coating only helps against corrosion.

Any HSS (high speed steel) drill bit would be fine, if the set costs less than $10, I wouldn't use it for anything other than wood, plastic or soft metals (aluminum, copper, brass) If you can afford it, a decent set from Fein will last you a long time. Other than that Irwin makes some decent bits. Run of the mill you can get Kobalt, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc...
Cobalt is alloyed with HSS, it's not a coating. We're not talking about TiN or black oxide which serve other purposes than corrosion, but it's not really important in this context. Cobalt bits are great for hard metals, especially stainless.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Cobalt is alloyed with HSS, it's not a coating. We're not talking about TiN or black oxide which serve other purposes than corrosion, but it's not really important in this context. Cobalt bits are great for hard metals, especially stainless.
The problem is that a lot of the "cobalt" drill bits you see around are not the alloyed ones. Unless they have the Mxx rating, they are not true cobalt, but just a coating. Also, M42 cobalt bits are almost double the price of a good HSS bit, and the difference in hardness is not that much. If you are drilling correctly, you would be hard press to see any difference between both of them in performance. I would say for anything other than drilling thick stainless steel plate, the extra money the cobalt bit costs is not warranted.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
The problem is that a lot of the "cobalt" drill bits you see around are not the alloyed ones. Unless they have the Mxx rating, they are not true cobalt, but just a coating. Also, M42 cobalt bits are almost double the price of a good HSS bit, and the difference in hardness is not that much. If you are drilling correctly, you would be hard press to see any difference between both of them in performance. I would say for anything other than drilling thick stainless steel plate, the extra money the cobalt bit costs is not warranted.
I think we're in agreement to at least spend the money on good drill bits. Save yourself lots of time and headaches. If you're not really using them on a regular basis then no need to get into the weeds with alloys, coatings, blah, blah, blah.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Yeah that's what jerry is for. Just keep bringing him pilsners

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
any picture of uglybastards pigtails?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion