GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I'd tend to agree a little bit about the impulsive part. However, this isn't truly some overnight thing. The "Do I really want to do this for as long as I have the car?" thoughts started cropping up in November when it was first figuring out the rail pressure issues. Some people don't mind this stuff. After living with it myself, y'all got my respect even more. I think it's an aspect people neglect to really appreciate when you start down this path. And like I said a million times, I thought I was fine with this stuff. But experiencing things can change your opinion. Hell, I thought I wanted the stereotypical two kids until I had one, and cut that plan off quick as fuck. Now I'm a one and done person (much to the dismay of my wife).

I've already accepted that I probably will go down that path if my 3 points are met
- I don't hate driving the GLI
- They'll give me at least $18k for my GTI
- They'll come down to at least $30k for the GLI

If those all work out, then yeah. You'll probably see a partout post Friday night :ROFLMAO: :cry:
i do hear you there man.

i had like 15k into a built engine on my supercharged cobalt. built head, cams, big blower, small pulleys, overbuilt cooling system, meth injection, and e85 on a custom fuel setup and custom tune.

it became a hassle so friggin fast, always having to drive out of my way to get e85, tracing leaks in the meth setup, getting random little quirks and misfires, horrible idle, rough starts, getting like 15 mpg, worrying if random noises were a sign of imminent failure approaching. beating everything that lined up to me on the road. it sucked and made me pull the trig on a partout.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
#3 could be a challenge based on current climate

So, I don't think so, and here's why. This is also exactly what I'll tell them.

They are asking $31,900 for a 2020 with 18k miles. A Pure Grey DSG GLI Autobahn.

First off, that's more than the new sticker price for a used car, coming up on 2 years old with 18k miles. Sticker (minus destination charges) on a 2020 GLI Autobahn was $30,745. In a normal market, that car would have sold new for probably $27k - $29k after discounts and incentives. The used price, in a normal market, should probably be around $25k - $26k. So even asking for it to sell for $29k - $30k is an inflated, market adjusted price.

Moving on past that....

An hour away, there is a 2021 with 1,300 miles for sale. For $32,600. A measly $700 more. Black DSG GLI Autobahn. A year newer, and virtually no miles, for $700 more. Oh, and that one is even better equipped as it has the black package. Nicer wheels & a spoiler.

Even closer, about 20 minutes away, there is a 2019 with 20k miles for sale. For $28,500. Almost $3,500 less, with only 2k more miles. Silver DGS GLI Autobahn. Sure it's a 2019, but as far as a Hyundai dealer is concerned, they're the same car. Hell, the 2019 should be even better, as it has the 6-year, 72k mile warranty, where the 2020 has only a 5-year, 50k mile warranty. The upside of the 2020 (which I wouldn't tell the Hyundai dealer, and I highly doubt they know), is the 2019 doesn't have DCC, where the 2020 and up do. That's a selling point, so really, the 2019 is completely off the table. But listing it as a comp for comparison is still fine.

Add on to the fact that this particular GLI has been on their lot for sale since October, with only like a single $250 price drop in November or something. All this lays out that for that particular car, $29k - $30k is a more than reasonable and realistic price expectation.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My vote goes to a 16-17 R, keep the parts you can transfer or want to sell, put a stage 1 (or 2) on it and let it rip.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Might be a stupid suggestion - but why not put fueling back to stock, take off the Vortex and revert to Stage 2? If you still want E85, keep the HPFP, but it saves you about 15K to do that vs getting the GLI

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^x2 those arteons are shweet!
So, I don't think so, and here's why. This is also exactly what I'll tell them.

They are asking $31,900 for a 2020 with 18k miles. A Pure Grey DSG GLI Autobahn.

First off, that's more than the new sticker price for a used car, coming up on 2 years old with 18k miles. Sticker (minus destination charges) on a 2020 GLI Autobahn was $30,745. In a normal market, that car would have sold new for probably $27k - $29k after discounts and incentives. The used price, in a normal market, should probably be around $25k - $26k. So even asking for it to sell for $29k - $30k is an inflated, market adjusted price.

Moving on past that....

An hour away, there is a 2021 with 1,300 miles for sale. For $32,600. A measly $700 more. Black DSG GLI Autobahn. A year newer, and virtually no miles, for $700 more. Oh, and that one is even better equipped as it has the black package. Nicer wheels & a spoiler.

Even closer, about 20 minutes away, there is a 2019 with 20k miles for sale. For $28,500. Almost $3,500 less, with only 2k more miles. Silver DGS GLI Autobahn. Sure it's a 2019, but as far as a Hyundai dealer is concerned, they're the same car. Hell, the 2019 should be even better, as it has the 6-year, 72k mile warranty, where the 2020 has only a 5-year, 50k mile warranty. The upside of the 2020 (which I wouldn't tell the Hyundai dealer, and I highly doubt they know), is the 2019 doesn't have DCC, where the 2020 and up do. That's a selling point, so really, the 2019 is completely off the table. But listing it as a comp for comparison is still fine.

Add on to the fact that this particular GLI has been on their lot for sale since October, with only like a single $250 price drop in November or something. All this lays out that for that particular car, $29k - $30k is a more than reasonable and realistic price expectation.
you have done your research, and thats when you inevitably get the dealer than just says 'oh we are not allowed to negotiate, the best price is the best price!"

x2 on getting a golf r, its amazing. i got mine for 26k somehow, hooks in poor weather

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My vote goes to a 16-17 R, keep the parts you can transfer or want to sell, put a stage 1 (or 2) on it and let it rip.

Part of reason I'm looking at the GLI is the amount of features it has, which I'm big on. Ventilated seats. DCC (might be on the MK7 R, not sure). OEM digital dash. Driver assist things. Etc...

Arteon r-Line with a jb4 = my vote.

That’s a man’s sedan

Too big. It's similar in size to a B9 A4, and driving my buddies B9 A4 feels like driving a boat.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
the mk7 stonks market right now, seeing all the volatility in this thread
1642020651507.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
you have done your research, and thats when you inevitably get the dealer than just says 'oh we are not allowed to negotiate, the best price is the best price!"

"Have a good day, call me in a day or two if you change your mind."

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Here's the only issue with that. I really don't want to separate the brakes from the rotors, since they're 345mm MK6 R rotors. They're pretty worthless without the brakes. At the price I'd probably ask, the rear ones were going to be a "These are pretty much included for free" price. But shipping at least the front rotors, would be difficult and pretty expensive. Those motherfuckers are big and heavy. I'm not saying "No" up front, we could try and see if we could get something worked out. And shipping would probably tack on a decent amount to the cost. If someone local wanted them, I'd have to give them preference.
yup - i hear ya. whatever works out for you holmes.