GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, either way, it isn't hard and won't hurt me to throw them in for a day and see how it runs with them.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Put the Ruth's back in. Immediately noticed a smoother idle and better throttle response!

Not really. They're plugs. Will go out tonight, try logging EQT again, and the latest Sneeky map. See if it likes them better.

The Denso's looked fine. As expected they would after only 1,200 miles. Gap is right where I set it before putting them in.

1638033222343.png

Yep, they're plugs.

So funny enough, as much I give it shit, I am thinking about spending the $135 on the EQT Pro Coil Grounding kit :ROFLMAO:

Not because I think there's an issue with the ground loop and it will perform better, but just so I don't have to deal with those studs and grounds anymore. As well as the fact that one of mine is broken. I kind of just smash the bare wire between the stud and nut.

1638033337246.png

1638033355135.png

Even with that, I don't think I need the kit, like it won't do anything mechanically or performance wise for me. But will stop me from dealing with those stupid studs.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Why do they give you so much trouble? They're not that combative. The studs, that is.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
How fast is the car when you do pulls now? Are you at the "it was worth it" stage?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why do they give you so much trouble? They're not that combative. The studs, that is.

The one that broke was from using power tools to take it off instead of good old fashioned hand power. I've since stopped that. And they're not combative, just annoying.

How fast is the car when you do pulls now?

Sneeky is getting there, since he hadn't dialed it back yet. Curious to see how the latest file is tonight. EQT, I'm still on the turned down map, just adjusted for the fuel pump and sensors, since the last logs sent over said they have too much knock. Responses from Nick are slowing down, I imagine the workload from the tunes sold during Boost Weather sale are starting to come on.

Are you at the "it was worth it" stage?

That is a tough question, and one I could ramble on about for length. Considering I blew above my initial estimate of $3k by about $2k (half of that because I was impatient, and half because I continued down the rabbit hole), it's hard to say if it's worth it or not.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Currently out logging. Sitting in a Starbucks parking lot while I change the tune from EQT to Sneeky. Did my EQT logs, and didn't really notice much knock, but of course will have to look at them when I get home. Looks like only a little while spinning in 2nd... Ruths might be the winners.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
EQT ones look good.

3rd Gear
2nd through 4th

Not sure what happened with the Sneeky logs. Usually try to grab 2 for him, but it only took one. And don't really like the way it looks, so I'll relog in another night or two before sending it over to him.

Sneeky log.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm also running Ruth plugs as well. Did you decide whether you were going to try the grounding kit? I'm honestly considering just making my own. Doesn't seem very hard to do.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm also running Ruth plugs as well. Did you decide whether you were going to try the grounding kit? I'm honestly considering just making my own. Doesn't seem very hard to do.

I probably will, just for the convenience. I'm not delusional and expecting any mechanical benefit. I would get the pro kit which you de-pin the grounds and not just connect with a nut, so a little more in depth if I wanted to make my own.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just went through your whole thread here because your plan with the vortex is pretty much what I wanted from my car, maybe a little E but I dont 'think' thats possible without mpi.

Did you end up having to get the PM4 controller? these fuel pumps are such money for these cars... When I had my Evo X i think i paid 5150 like 200$ for a walbro installed for my E85 tune.

Also, i went through like the 15 pages thinking 'Ok, this next page hes gonna say its all fine and hes loving the vortex, tuning completed!' but the page never came LOL.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just went through your whole thread here because your plan with the vortex is pretty much what I wanted from my car, maybe a little E but I dont 'think' thats possible without mpi.

Did you end up having to get the PM4 controller? these fuel pumps are such money for these cars... When I had my Evo X i think i paid 5150 like 200$ for a walbro installed for my E85 tune.

Also, i went through like the 15 pages thinking 'Ok, this next page hes gonna say its all fine and hes loving the vortex, tuning completed!' but the page never came LOL.

Yup, still waiting on "Tuning completed!". Changing directions and adding the LPFP and sensors a few weeks into tuning didn't help. I was almost complete with my turned down EQT tune before doing that.

Nope, no PM4, and no desire to get it. So the stock controller better hold out lol.

Don't get me wrong. I do love the Vortex. But I went way above my budget, which makes the "Is it worth it?" question hard to answer. I spent about an extra $1k more than necessary just due to being impatient. If I was doing it again knowing what I know now, I would have just been patient from the beginning, bought it when it was in sale, got the LPFP/sensors right from the start, and probably not have paid for two different tunings.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yea i agree, best to know what all you'd need before getting into it. Part of me just wants a is38 becasue i dont want to deal with all this crap, everything i see its pretty much just marginally better than a is20 so whats the point in 1500$ upgrade for that.
I dont even have a HPFP upgrade yet myself, i planned to get one to do e85 on is20/is38 but if i plan to do vortex I could even get the PR 925cc kit for 700$, which is really only 350$ more than the HPFP.... decisions.....