JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI/'29 Ford
Try using the POR15 caliper kit, it's brush on too, but I've done a few sets of calipers with them and they have turned out well.

I'm just saying, did it on a well prepped set of calipers years back and it just didn't dry and finish nearly as well as the G2 kit. Like, the paint felt uncured for a long time, which made them hold onto brake dust

So can already painted rear calipers just be degreased/cleaned and then paint be applied over top I assume?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Absolutely correct. leaves a powdercoat like finish.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You know what else leaves a powdercoat like finish?

go fuck yourself

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

19birel

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
So can already painted rear calipers just be degreased/cleaned and then paint be applied over top I assume?
I would probably scuff the existing paint to promote better adhesion. It will probably stick without doing that but may chip a little more easily.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I painted the calipers on my 370z. I scuffed the original paint and then sprayed them with VHT Caliper paint, then put the decals on, and then cleared over everything they turned out great and lasted well.
C4nxdUj.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm going to throw another wrench at you... I used this system to spray automotive paint 2K before buying my first compressor, and apparently G2 also approves it for their caliper coatings.

https://g2usa.com/products/preval-portable-aerosol-spray-gun#:~:text=The Preval Portable Aerosol Spray Gun offers precision and focus,of our G2 Brake Caliper

Trying to decide if I want to spring for this.

https://www.amazon.com/ERA-Paints-Omni-Curing-Catalyst-Technology/dp/B08HSRHLJ1/

From what I can gather, it's basically the same kinda thing as G2, already in an aerosol can.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Trying to decide if I want to spring for this.

https://www.amazon.com/ERA-Paints-Omni-Curing-Catalyst-Technology/dp/B08HSRHLJ1/

From what I can gather, it's basically the same kinda thing as G2, already in an aerosol can.
I don't know... because all they say is that it is a 2K (2 component) paint, there is no mention of heat resistance (degrees) or if it is a ceramic or a urethane. I tried looking for the SDS but they are available only upon request by email. I think it could be similar to the G2... no way to really know without trying it.

FYI, Eastwood also has a 2K caliper paint in Gloss Black.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't know... because all they say is that it is a 2K (2 component) paint, there is no mention of heat resistance (degrees) or if it is a ceramic or a urethane. I tried looking for the SDS but they are available only upon request by email. I think it could be similar to the G2... no way to really know without trying it.

FYI, Eastwood also has a 2K caliper paint in Gloss Black.

Thanks for the suggestion. Think that might be the way to go.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I don't get why people are doing a cosmetic brake upgrade only to half-ass the making it look good part. powder-coating isn't that expensive.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Because it's worth a try?

I have a high set of standards for what I think looks good. If I try painting them, and they don't come out looking good enough for me, I'll have them powder coated. That's what happened with my original set of Macans on my GTI. Tried painting with G2, came out looking like shit. So brought them to get sandblasted and powder coated.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I mean, if i were doing this, I'd 100% sandblast them myself and then try VHT, it's just really hard to get a good surface by scuffing it unless you spend tons of time with sandpaper. personally I don't like rubbing brake calipers enough.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I mean, if i were doing this, I'd 100% sandblast them myself and then try VHT, it's just really hard to get a good surface by scuffing it unless you spend tons of time with sandpaper. personally I don't like rubbing brake calipers enough.

I don't think they're painted by default? They already come with a rough, (what seems to me to be) bare finish. At the very least, it's not a smooth, painted finish like the stock calipers on our cars for example.