GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
you can save a few bucks by buying and separate basket and doing the install of a kit on your bench so its still a "drop in" on the car.
2015-2017 Volkswagen MK7 GTI Fuel Pump Assembly / 52k / M7004 - Redline Auto Parts

and do the stage 3 kit for $369 -MK7/MQB Audi/VW Performance Fuel Pumps (precisionraceworks.com)

I say stage 3 because you may as well just do the 450 with the duty cycle neutered in the tune VS the 305 at full duty cause the 450 will give you more room in the future should you ever decide for some ethanol blend.

Im only running a 305 cause my friend sold it to me for $100 bucks -lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
you can save a few bucks by buying and separate basket and doing the install of a kit on your bench so its still a "drop in" on the car.
2015-2017 Volkswagen MK7 GTI Fuel Pump Assembly / 52k / M7004 - Redline Auto Parts

and do the stage 3 kit for $369 -MK7/MQB Audi/VW Performance Fuel Pumps (precisionraceworks.com)

I say stage 3 because you may as well just do the 450 with the duty cycle neutered in the tune VS the 305 at full duty cause the 450 will give you more room in the future should you ever decide for some ethanol blend.

Im only running a 305 cause my friend sold it to me for $100 bucks -lol

The issue is to me, messing around with gas and shit that can cause your car to catch on fire if you fuck something up, isn't the place to learn how to DIY your first time off YouTube. It's why I was even hesitant at first to even mess with the HPFP. If I was doing that, I'd rather pay the extra $200 and just get a true pre assembled drop in unit.

For educational purposes only, a 450 works with the stock controller, right?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The risk is the same either route.

Yes but the tuner will need to turn down the duty cycle percent.

True. But I'd like to think that PR has more experience and would be better suited to handle the install than myself. The big disclaimer right on the front of their instructions sums up my feelings perfectly lol

1636117254818.png

Drilling rivets? Cutting the bucket? Splicing wires? Not difficult stuff on it's own, sure. But when it's a part as critical as something that sits in your gas tank, I'd rather pay the extra $230 for the peace of mind to know someone knowledgeable with experience did it.

Also, I hate you all for the fact that I'm even considering this. I've been peer pressured from "Absolutely not" to "Let me think about it and look into it" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Is38 is a waste of time. Get a bigger turbo.

Acadia,
I never modified a fuel basket before. I did it on my own. Pulled it again because I thought a did a step wrong (was fine), then pulled it again to put a bigger pump in. It's not bad, just try to keep gas off of things. Or pay money for a premade unit. Either way, you paid for the turbo might as well use it to most of it's capabilities.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is making me bitch out and go IS38.

It just makes me wonder why you read all over the place "Yeah, you're fine with just a HPFP on a Vortex if you're running pump gas".

Clearly it's not. Even the tuner is telling me to consider a LPFP!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia,
I never modified a fuel basket before. I did it on my own. Pulled it again because I thought a did a step wrong (was fine), then pulled it again to put a bigger pump in. It's not bad, just try to keep gas off of things. Or pay money for a premade unit. Either way, you paid for the turbo might as well use it to most of it's capabilities.

If there's one thing I've learnt while working on this car, it's that even when things are straight forward and easy, something always goes sideways and throws a wrench in the "easy" part. Swapping calipers? Easy and straightforward. Wait, the caliper is pissing fluid once it's buttoned up. Installing Autotech HPFP internals? Easy and straightforward. Wait, half the stupid locking ring is jammed and have to wrestle with it for two hours to get it free.

If I was doing it, I'd rather pay for the premade unit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anyway. Hoping I get my updated DSG tune at some point today. Got the most recent revision from Nick yesterday, and will be by an empty highway around 1am tonight. Dry and around 40 degrees. Perfect for some logging and 60 - 130 pulls. Still need to get that Dragy though.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Acadia,
This place has been a bad influence for me.

I told myself I wouldn't take my car past Uni stage 1 - came here a couple of years back to read up on how to code something in VCDS. Next thing I know I'm buying a clutch, mounts, HPFP, hunting a big turbo down - also looked at getting a draggy so that I can drive my car at absurd speeds, endanger my life, the well being of those around me - all so I can compare notes with guys on the internet I've never met before... Not the worst I've done - I guess.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It just makes me wonder why you read all over the place "Yeah, you're fine with just a HPFP on a Vortex if you're running pump gas".

Clearly it's not. Even the tuner is telling me to consider a LPFP!
I think it’s like @CaptainRatty noted… it’s just the roll of the dice of which specific cars are fine… you even see it with people with upgraded pumps too - so people’s 450 or 525/535 flow their cars to xxx power and fuel type fine then another person who’s cars is in the same realm of power and fueling run out of headroom.

In the end you sir don’t NEED the lpfp - but may as well get it to utilize the vortex. Sure the new power for now it plenty - but that always runs out quickly😂 and it’s much easier to not act on that craving when you know you’ve already maxed out your turbo and would need to spend 5k for a bigger one, vs spending the $700 for some added fueling *esp while you’re tuning it anyways.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1636121275896.png