GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have considered it but the extra cost (+800$), and what sways me away is Acadia's situation where he ended up needing to get LPFP as well (wonder if it was 'needed' considering he found out the HPFP was going bad).
Probably not. You should start a thread.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Can't wait to hear your final thought after getting it dialed in and tunes COMPLETE! haha

Question for the knowledgable regulars in this build thread...
So he got a PR450 LPFP, i see brushless comes with its own 'fuel controller', as well as they recommended Acadia to get a PM4 for his pump as well, is this something that is required pretty much for a LPFP upgrade? Or is it only when the pump is bushed harder to higher heat situations?
Was just curious because i would like to do a E85 tune for my IS38 when i get everything together next month, but not interested to dump that much coin into a fuel pump for the minimal differences over HPFP on just an IS38.

I'm glad it's working right at this point (until you guys tell me the next thing that's wrong 😂), but this probably means I didn't need to spend $750 on a LPFP upgrade... Oh well.

Yes you did.

Everyone on a “hpfp only” has to get neutered up top, (that’s when lpfps start to not be able to keep up with the hpfps flow)

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Can't wait to hear your final thought after getting it dialed in and tunes COMPLETE! haha

Question for the knowledgable regulars in this build thread...
So he got a PR450 LPFP, i see brushless comes with its own 'fuel controller', as well as they recommended Acadia to get a PM4 for his pump as well, is this something that is required pretty much for a LPFP upgrade? Or is it only when the pump is bushed harder to higher heat situations?
Was just curious because i would like to do a E85 tune for my IS38 when i get everything together next month, but not interested to dump that much coin into a fuel pump for the minimal differences over HPFP on just an IS38.
increased demand *duty cycle* (added boost=more fuel requirement) on the pump requires more amperage, the stock controller can overheat from this and which is why it is recommended to go PM4 to allow full usage of the LPFP, otherwise its not money well spent and you cant add boost without fuel, if you cant add fuel, you cant make powaa. I would definitely look into going E85 if its in your area, its snappier *more responsive* on e85 vs pump gas, and the power is nice, added tq is welcomed for sure. If my thoughts on the subject is worth anything, go ahead and get the LPFP because you are going to want move up from the is38, and you will need the pump for e85 on a higher flowing turbo, some have had good luck on the controller with e30 blends. EQT has OTS e30 blends and e85 maps for the is38 that are HPFP friendly, but all fueling is different, what works with one car isnt a template for another specifically .

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My initial consideration for the LPFP was the brushless option, as it was drop in ready, and comes with its own controller. All still while being cheaper than a drop in ready 450/525 pump and PM4 controller. It wasn't until I was told I wouldn't need the PM4 for the 450 pump that I looked at that. And like @CoryJo said, the tuners turn down the duty cycle on the pump (EQT has it at 85, I believe Sneeky has it at 78) so it's not working at full capacity to avoid burning it out. Which for my needs, that still allows it to flow enough fuel. However, that changes with ethanol and MPI.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
On another note, went out to see Spider-Man with some friends last night, and let my buddy drive my car to the theater and back. My car has a new top speed record of 148mph. Kinda sad that the fastest my cars been driven isn't even with me behind the wheel 🤣

He was blown away the performance. His car is a stage 2 GTI with the basic bolt ons, and he drives his car far more aggressive than I drive mine (clearly). But the power definitely exceeded his expectations. I think it cemented that we'll be installing another Vortex soon one he fixes an issue he's having with his 4th gear synchro...

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
On another note, went out to see Spider-Man with some friends last night, and let my buddy drive my car to the theater and back. My car has a new top speed record of 148mph. Kinda sad that the fastest my cars been driven isn't even with me behind the wheel 🤣

He was blown away the performance. His car is a stage 2 GTI with the basic bolt ons, and he drives his car far more aggressive than I drive mine (clearly). But the power definitely exceeded his expectations. I think it cemented that we'll be installing another Vortex soon one he fixes an issue he's having with his 4th gear synchro...
Is it his synchro or shifter fork?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is it his synchro or shifter fork?

He's convinced it's the synchro. Says it grinds going in to 4th gear, but not out. No grinding if the car isn't moving. If he rev matches, he can minimize it, but can still tell the grinding is there. Taking out the trans and digging in to it is above both of our skill levels unfortunately.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Wow. That must be making some power. 9.5* at 31psi is no joke… You must have some great fuel in your area.

I ran a 9.63 60-130 on a 27psi 4* tune

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Wow. That must be making some power. 9.5* at 31psi is no joke… You must have some great fuel in your area.

I ran a 9.63 60-130 on a 27psi 4* tune

And here I am trying to get better fuel to help curb that knock :ROFLMAO:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yup. A big fan. No doubt that would have continued into 5th and beyond...
I can't imagine the relief you finally feel to have all your hard work and perseverance start paying off. I've lived vicariously through your build and even I feel relief that you are getting rewarded. Mine was so easy compared to yours because I didn't have the fuel problem to deal with and fewer parts. Then with a remote dyno tune it was all over in 3 hours. In retrospect it was better that you didn't have the remote dyno tune because it probably would have been even more expensive scheduling at least 2 sessions.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I can't imagine the relief you finally feel to have all your hard work and perseverance start paying off. I've lived vicariously through your build and even I feel relief that you are getting rewarded. Mine was so easy compared to yours because I didn't have the fuel problem to deal with and fewer parts. Then with a remote dyno tune it was all over in 3 hours. In retrospect it was better that you didn't have the remote dyno tune because it probably would have been even more expensive scheduling at least 2 sessions.

Yup. Definitely was relieving seeing my rail pressure keep up with the new (used) fuel pump. Didn't have to make the decision of "Ok, do I just abandon this, or keep throwing money at things to try and fix it?"

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
are-you-ready-kids-sponge-bob.gif

1640037736734.png