GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don't have big HP goals, or really push the car much. Compared to many, I'm actually a pretty timid driver. And I don't feel the need to squeeze every last little bit of power out of it.

I've read too many horror stories about the Sheunk IS38+ to consider that.

The HPA IS38+ would be a consideration if I was planning on pushing it and running an E blend, but it's just going to be on pump 93. Which the OEM IS38 handles fine (see every MK7 Golf R for an example).

The TPC20. Considered it at one point, but yeah... You've read the threads lol.

EQT Vortex XL. Way too big for me.

I know Littco has some options, but I really haven't looked into them too too much.

I think for what I want, just a snappy every day driver, those are two of the best options, and leaning on just splurging on the Vortex.

And yeah. Extra maintenance never hurt. VW recommends every 40k on the DQ250, but since I have the TCU tune on it, halfing that is probably a good thing.
I asked because it was weird. They're both kinda far from each other in terms of performance. I thought it was strange of u to group up a soft taco with a cheesy gordita crunch. They're kinda in different leagues.

I think the lack of a goal is what's blocking your decision though. But it's ok to not have a goal. Take your time with it. Either way you go it's not cheap.

I swap my engine oil every 2k miles cuz the 0w20 + the abuse I put the car through freaks me out. 2k miles for me is about 4-7 months though. I'm planning on swapping the dsg and lsd oil in November. After I track it a few times.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I asked because it was weird. They're both kinda far from each other in terms of performance. I thought it was strange of u to group up a soft taco with a cheesy gordita crunch. They're kinda in different leagues.

I think the lack of a goal is what's blocking your decision though. But it's ok to not have a goal. Take your time with it. Either way you go it's not cheap.

I swap my engine oil every 2k miles cuz the 0w20 + the abuse I put the car through freaks me out. 2k miles for me is about 4-7 months though. I'm planning on swapping the dsg and lsd oil in November. After I track it a few times.

I'd disagree and say it's not that weird of a position to be in trying to decide between IS38 or EQT Vortex. Hell, it's a common enough thing for Jake to just put out a video addressing exactly that because he's asked about it so often.

And it's not a lack of a goal. I have a goal, I just want a super snappy daily driver. What's blocking my decision, is being worried I'll plop down $1700 - $1800 for an IS38, and go "That's it? Man, I was really expecting more." and be disappointed and in a position where I wish I just plopped down the extra money for the Vortex.

I swap my oil every 6 months, regardless of mileage. I have an auto delivery every February & August from Amazon of some Liquimoly and a filter. That usually works out to be around every 5k - 6k miles.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
I just cant see the point of a rear wiper delete especially when u live in New England. These cars are the worst for getting shit on the rear window which means u cant see dick from behind without the wiper blade to clean it. All out race car of course remove it but as a DD its silly imo. Car looks dope AF tho! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: WAP

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I just cant see the point of a rear wiper delete especially when u live in New England. These cars are the worst for getting shit on the rear window which means u cant see dick from behind without the wiper blade to clean it. All out race car of course remove it but as a DD its silly imo. Car looks dope AF tho! (y)

I've had very lengthy and very heated arguments with a friend over that exact topic. I don't feel I've ever needed it. It's a nice to have, but definitely not necessary. And worth it to get rid of because it makes the back look that much more clean.

I've been driving for 20 years. And 18 of those years, were sedans. I don't feel my GTI rear windshield gets any more dirty than the rear windshields of any of my other cars I've owned. And none of those other cars had rear wipers. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it!

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
I've had very lengthy and very heated arguments with a friend over that exact topic. I don't feel I've ever needed it. It's a nice to have, but definitely not necessary. And worth it to get rid of because it makes the back look that much more clean.

I've been driving for 20 years. And 18 of those years, were sedans. I don't feel my GTI rear windshield gets any more dirty than the rear windshields of any of my other cars I've owned. And none of those other cars had rear wipers. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it!
It does make the back look much cleaner ill give u that! But as far as getting dirt and water on the back window I will have to cpompletely disagree with that statement lol.

This is my first hatch as well and have driven sedans my whole life and these cars get more shit on the rear window then ANY car I have ever owned. U didnt need it on ur sedan cause mud and water doesn't get up there but again, they do look much better lol

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'd disagree and say it's not that weird of a position to be in trying to decide between IS38 or EQT Vortex. Hell, it's a common enough thing for Jake to just put out a video addressing exactly that because he's asked about it so often.

And it's not a lack of a goal. I have a goal, I just want a super snappy daily driver. What's blocking my decision, is being worried I'll plop down $1700 - $1800 for an IS38, and go "That's it? Man, I was really expecting more." and be disappointed and in a position where I wish I just plopped down the extra money for the Vortex.

I swap my oil every 6 months, regardless of mileage. I have an auto delivery every February & August from Amazon of some Liquimoly and a filter. That usually works out to be around every 5k - 6k miles.
Yeah I saw jakes video. His beard wasn’t looking as strong as the previous video IMO.

they do get compared a lot but it’s weird considering how far away their output is in terms of power.

hmmm have you considered the vortex on a low boost tune? This way after a few years u still have the option of cranking it up some.

the Amazon auto delivery is awesome. I too take advantage of it for car wash supplies. Soaps, microfiber towels etc

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah I saw jakes video. His beard wasn’t looking as strong as the previous video IMO.

they do get compared a lot but it’s weird considering how far away their output is in terms of power.

hmmm have you considered the vortex on a low boost tune? This way after a few years u still have the option of cranking it up some.

the Amazon auto delivery is awesome. I too take advantage of it for car wash supplies. Soaps, microfiber towels etc

I mean, the tune itself would inherently be "low boost", at least by Vortex standards, because I'd be limited by map sensor as I don't plan on upgrading those. Right now, my stage 2 tune peaks at like 28.5psi, but tapers off. I'd imagine the Vortex would have a similar peak (at least with the mods I plan on running with), but it would carry that through to redline.

I think they get compared a lot because they're both popular upgrades for a regular daily driver. Although, you're absolutely correct that the Vortex has a much higher power ceiling than an OEM IS38. But even if you don't want to reach for that ceiling, you can still take advantage of some of the benefits of the Vortex over the IS38 while still using pump gas and not upgrading fueling. But from what I have read, even with pump 93, it can still take advantage of just as HPFP upgrade.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I mean, the tune itself would inherently be "low boost", at least by Vortex standards, because I'd be limited by map sensor as I don't plan on upgrading those. Right now, my stage 2 tune peaks at like 28.5psi, but tapers off. I'd imagine the Vortex would have a similar peak (at least with the mods I plan on running with), but it would carry that through to redline.

I think they get compared a lot because they're both popular upgrades for a regular daily driver. Although, you're absolutely correct that the Vortex has a much higher power ceiling than an OEM IS38. But even if you don't want to reach for that ceiling, you can still take advantage of some of the benefits of the Vortex over the IS38 while still using pump gas and not upgrading fueling. But from what I have read, even with pump 93, it can still take advantage of just as HPFP upgrade.
Makes sense. I think the vortex has the ability of growing with your expectations. I'd go that route if I was in your shoes. Regardless, dope journal. It was fun reading it!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Makes sense. I think the vortex has the ability of growing with your expectations. I'd go that route if I was in your shoes. Regardless, dope journal. It was fun reading it!

Thanks for reading it. Good to know after spending almost 3 hours putting it together someone read it lol. Was a nice trip down memory lane.

I am leaning towards the Vortex, simply because I don't want to spend $1800 on an IS38 & tune only to be disappointed. It's close to almost double in price, probably looking at $3200 - $3400 for Vortex + Tune + HPFP. But you read the journal. I can spend money on my car like it's my job...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thanks for reading it. Good to know after spending almost 3 hours putting it together someone read it lol. Was a nice trip down memory lane.

I am leaning towards the Vortex, simply because I don't want to spend $1800 on an IS38 & tune only to be disappointed. It's close to almost double in price, probably looking at $3200 - $3400 for Vortex + Tune + HPFP. But you read the journal. I can spend money on my car like it's my job...
A new pandemic will probably have u in the 500hp range :ROFLMAO:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Nice thread! Glad to finally put a car to the user 🤣

Whichever BBK you go with you’ll love it. I would vote for Stoptech (I’m biased) but the Macan kit looks great too and I would have seriously considered it if I didn't get the Stoptech kit for a deal.

Just get a Vortex and be done with it. No sense in fooling around with OEM or OEM + units. The Vortex retains most of the spool of an OEM IS38 with tons more potential if you decide you want more...

JB4 on. Took less than a month to need more power. Got it from the classifieds here. Seeing a trend? Try being as thrifty as possible Apparently this is the only picture I have of that install. Peep those drops of coolant all over everything. It got everywhere.

View attachment 208168

Remember that JB4, installed like... 3 weeks prior or something?

View attachment 208170

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1617121311226.png