GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thought you were riceburnering this shit instead. 😒

I got time while waiting for the right MK7.5 R to pop up.

With how uninterested I am in nearly all affordable options, I kind of want a 7.5 R I can plan on keeping long term. When I bought this R, it had 65k miles, and the intention was to only hang on to it for 3 years or so. I drive pretty close to the average, so that would bring it to 100k.

So I'm keeping my eye out for an unmodified 7.5 R, under 40k miles, DSG, $36k - $38k price range, that isn't 4+ hours away. Preferably the same Oryx White color, because I'm boring. But I'd consider anything other than red probably. Get that, and then drive it into the ground.

If that popped up, I probably jump on it. In the meantime, I don't mind spending the $150 to do a carbon cleaning. Especially since I know plenty of people on the MQB platform that could then take advantage of it.

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I got time while waiting for the right MK7.5 R to pop up.

With how uninterested I am in nearly all affordable options, I kind of want a 7.5 R I can plan on keeping long term. When I bought this R, it had 65k miles, and the intention was to only hang on to it for 3 years or so. I drive pretty close to the average, so that would bring it to 100k.

So I'm keeping my eye out for an unmodified 7.5 R, under 40k miles, DSG, $36k - $38k price range, that isn't 4+ hours away. Preferably the same Oryx White color, because I'm boring. But I'd consider anything other than red probably. Get that, and then drive it into the ground.

If that popped up, I probably jump on it. In the meantime, I don't mind spending the $150 to do a carbon cleaning. Especially since I know plenty of people on the MQB platform that could then take advantage of it.
You’re looking for a unicorn. Except for the unmodified part everything else is reasonable.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You’re looking for a unicorn. Except for the unmodified part everything else is reasonable.

Well, the only "mod" I'm really trying to avoid is it being tuned. If I'm paying $36k or up for a car, I want that warranty. And what's difficult about that, is there's no real concrete way to tell that. Especially if it had an ECU tune but no TCU tune, and the tune was removed. Really no way to know that.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Well, the only "mod" I'm really trying to avoid is it being tuned. If I'm paying $36k or up for a car, I want that warranty. And what's difficult about that, is there's no real concrete way to tell that. Especially if it had an ECU tune but no TCU tune, and the tune was removed. Really no way to know that.
I contacted someone at a VW dealer and he ran my ViN. No TD1. Meanwhile, it was tuned. What can you do? It’s a risk and likely it has been if you don’t own it from day one. I had to come to terms with that when looking at these cars. The best way would be to set up an email form to all the major players and shoot them the VINS to run in their servers.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I contacted someone at a VW dealer and he ran my ViN. No TD1. Meanwhile, it was tuned. What can you do? It’s a risk and likely it has been if you don’t own it from day one. I had to come to terms with that when looking at these cars. The best way would be to set up an email form to all the major players and shoot them the VINS to run in their servers.

I don't even plan on going that far, since Cobb is probably the largest platform on these cars, and no way to tell that. My plan was seeing if it shows the gear number while in D/S (that usually shows even after TCU tune has been removed), and seeing what launch control looked like. After that, it's just hoping for the best.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I don't even plan on going that far, since Cobb is probably the largest platform on these cars, and no way to tell that. My plan was seeing if it shows the gear number while in D/S (that usually shows even after TCU tune has been removed), and seeing what launch control looked like. After that, it's just hoping for the best.
I’ll show my ignorance here, how does LC add into it?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I’ll show my ignorance here, how does LC add into it?

I thought stock tuning limited launches to something useless like 2500 - 3000? I could be completely wrong.

Edit: Again, that would only work if it was currently tuned. If it even works like that at all 🤷‍♂️

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I thought stock tuning limited launches to something useless like 2500 - 3000? I could be completely wrong.

Edit: Again, that would only work if it was currently tuned. If it even works like that at all 🤷‍♂️
Ah yes. You’re correct. They usually set it at 4,000 limit or some such thing. Again you’re right if it’s been flashed back to stock it doesn’t help.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ah yes. You’re correct. They usually set it at 4,000 limit or some such thing. Again you’re right if it’s been flashed back to stock it doesn’t help.

Yeah. I mean, can only do so much to protect yourself, outside of having it brought to VW and scanned before buying it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My vw dealer helped me avoid a td1. I told them I was tuned when I went in for warranty work. They said they'd do what they could to avoid plugging it into the computer.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Your best bet would be finding someone who has a JB4 on it and is willing to disclose that, way less likely that it was tuned that way. I wouldn't be as pessimistic about finding an unmodified R, I think they get left stock a lot more than GTIs.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Your best bet would be finding someone who has a JB4 on it and is willing to disclose that, way less likely that it was tuned that way. I wouldn't be as pessimistic about finding an unmodified R, I think they get left stock a lot more than GTIs.
Agreed. I see tons of old lady's driving Golf R's here in Jax. Also a lot VW dealer GM's and AGM's I've see drive them and don't mod them.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Aight. Ran to HF to take advantage of their current sale.

Media blaster and 25lb of walnut shells.

20220924_155629.jpg

My old man is picking one of these up for me off FB. Someone in his town is selling one "brand new unused" for $240. Hoping when I meet up with him and go to pay him for it, he tells me not to worry about it, since it's my birthday in a few weeks anyway 🤣

Screenshot_20220924_180741.jpg

Ordered the wand from FCP, adapter from Amazon along with a few other odds and ends. Dtfd is grabbing me a gasket when he orders his since I forgot.

That should then be everything I need to be ready to dig in and do the cleaning! And now I'll have all this stuff on hand to help others in the area who may need a walnut blast carbon cleaning.