GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
If it's oil on the plugs it's more than likely the cam bridge as Diggs said. Talking with my mechanic, so long as there isn't a lot of standing oil on the plugs it can be addressed later. Though if your getting small puddles on the tops of your plugs it might be a good idea to plan for it sooner rather than later.

He said it's about 1200 dollar job. I assume that's more labor than parts. 🤷‍♂️
how hard is that to do yourself?

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
It's really not that hard to do. People heavily overstate the difficulty. Get a second set of hands to help, and it's a breeze. Even the first time doing it, we were on track for like a 3hr install time. And that was fumbling our way through it.
But how long if I put the car into *service position*?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sorry, there are a million pages, but what's the oil issue?

Changed my plugs with the fresh set of Ruths, found some not good stuff :(

1663357634367.png

1663357651005.png

That was cylinder 4. Plug was very wet with oil. The top of the threads on 3 (not near the tip) was a little wet, but nothing like 4.

Checked compression again, all still ~145psi across the board, same as they were about 6 months ago.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If it's oil on the plugs it's more than likely the cam bridge as Diggs said. Talking with my mechanic, so long as there isn't a lot of standing oil on the plugs it can be addressed later. Though if your getting small puddles on the tops of your plugs it might be a good idea to plan for it sooner rather than later.

He said it's about 1200 dollar job. I assume that's more labor than parts. 🤷‍♂️

Don't get me wrong. I'm under no delusions that the PCV will fix the issue. It's more of a hail mary since it's only $40.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
how hard is that to do yourself?

Depends on who you ask. Jay will say it's super easy and a 45 minute job. Personally, it's a larger job than I'd want to tackle myself.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Changed my plugs with the fresh set of Ruths, found some not good stuff :(

View attachment 260815

View attachment 260816

That was cylinder 4. Plug was very wet with oil. The top of the threads on 3 (not near the tip) was a little wet, but nothing like 4.

Checked compression again, all still ~145psi across the board, same as they were about 6 months ago.
Interesting. I've had the same issue on 4, but def not near as much oil. I've had my car since brand new (4 miles) I've had oil on 4 since 35k miles I have 78k now and it's still the same amount. Sometimes it's almost nothing. I'll address mine when I do my timing chain. Which I learned you can check stretch with OBD11.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Interesting. I've had the same issue on 4, but def not near as much oil. I've had my car since brand new (4 miles) I've had oil on 4 since 35k miles I have 78k now and it's still the same amount. Sometimes it's almost nothing. I'll address mine when I do my timing chain. Which I learned you can check stretch with OBD11.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I've only had the car about 8 months. I bought it with 65k on the odo. The first week I had it, I pulled the plugs to swap them, and they were all dry. 8 months and about 7,500 miles later, I'm noticing this.

Right now, I'm in a "wait and monitor" stage. The PCV from FCP will be here tomorrow. I'll swap that on. Give it a week, and pull the plug and see how it looks. I haven't had any drivability issues. If I didn't decide to swap plugs so soon because they're cheap enough, I never would have even know. Not saying that means I can completely ignore it, but it's not a dire situation. Yet.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't pay to have the cover\cradle resealed. At that point, it'd be traded in and made someone else's problem.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
More internet rumors. I've never said it was a 45 min job

Reading comprehension is tough. Nobody ever said you said that. I made a prediction, that's about it.