GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC intermittent

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
For the second time in the past month my AC failed. It stopped working for a 15-20 minute ride and then worked fine when I got back in the car a few hours later. Any ideas? Nothing more frustrating than an intermittent problem that I know if taken to the dealer will not be able to replicate and will be a huge waste of my time. [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

TDR-380

Passed Driver's Ed
I had similar issues with mine. It was working then fine then off again. I had the compressor replaced with no effect. In the end they had to replace the AC module and now it's good as new.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
It's a known issue, come up to Murrieta VW and we can take of the issue for you
That is way out of my way although the car was sourced from your store. If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Is there a TSB out there for this? I experienced this last year, but this year I have not yet experience it however the AC will go from blowing 40 then to 50 and then slowly creep back down to 40 so it is not very consistent.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There are a number of causes. Evaporator temperature sensor, and if you have Climatronic the inside cabin temperature sensor. Also, make sure your fans appear to be operating correctly.

But the problem I've seen the most is the air conditioner compressor pressure valve. You should have a dealer replace it if you're under warranty because you need to remove the refrigerant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ2dvsJ41I8

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
There are a number of causes. Evaporator temperature sensor, and if you have Climatronic the inside cabin temperature sensor. Also, make sure your fans appear to be operating correctly.

But the problem I've seen the most is the air conditioner compressor pressure valve. You should have a dealer replace it if you're under warranty because you need to remove the refrigerant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ2dvsJ41I8

Thanks Fed, not climatronic, but def not Freon or compressor, something is turning it off, sensor or the control unit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks Fed, not climatronic, but def not Freon or compressor, something is turning it off, sensor or the control unit.

The valve I'm referring to is mounted into the compressor. The compressor itself will be OK, but the valve sticks intermittently. I had the same symptoms on my last GTI, and VW still uses them. VW used to replace the entire compressor because the valve wasn't available as a VW repair part. Now it is.

The compressor never turns off. There is no clutch. It's a variable displacement piston pump with a swash plate, and the valve in question controls the angle of the swash plate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_piston_pump. They're the same type of pumps used on Navy ships but tiny in comparison.

Last edited:

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
That is way out of my way although the car was sourced from your store. If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

We always have ac concerns, any good dealer will take your word for it and do the proper diagnostics to make sure your car is working the way it is. It will either be a valve or the entire compressor, but depending on if there is any damage, will determining if an entire ac flush will be warranted.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
We always have ac concerns, any good dealer will take your word for it and do the proper diagnostics to make sure your car is working the way it is. It will either be a valve or the entire compressor, but depending on if there is any damage, will determining if an entire ac flush will be warranted.

I have brought up AC issues to my local dealer two now and the only thing they could mention to me is that everything is works fine during their testing. I also was asked if it were ok for the tech to drive my car home to further diagnose the AC on the road. :eek:

ohrian

air conditioner problem

I have brought up AC issues to my local dealer two now and the only thing they could mention to me is that everything is works fine during their testing. I also was asked if it were ok for the tech to drive my car home to further diagnose the AC on the road. :eek:

MK7Will did qualify that remark with "any good dealer will take your word for it" :cool:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The compressor control valve either works well or it doesn't work at all, and it's intermittent. When I took my MK5 to the dealer they replaced the compressor and the receiver/dryer. That's when the valve wasn't available separately from VW. You could buy it yourself at the time for about $90 somewhere else but you still need the equipment to evacuate the refrigerant. So it's not something you can do yourself. Of note is it acted up only a year later. That's why I bought the extended service agreement on this car. One dealer visit for this issue and it's paid for itself, and I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth. My last 2 GTI's had both cooling fans fail. There's a grand there. I also replaced all the door latches on both cars.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Year old thread. See similar post slightly below here.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
3.5 years now and I am still mystified regarding the performance of my a/c. I have an SE with manual control. The hotter and more humid the ambient temp, the better it works at similar temp and fan settings. This past summer has been the hottest, most humid of the three since I have owned the car. Lots of 85-95 temps with 55-65% humidity. The a/c cools great even with moderate control settings. At lower temps/humidity, it seems inadequate at these same settings. I even had it checked 2 years ago. The report was normal. No real complaint here, just curious. The setting has not been changed in the coding.