GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC evaporator drain tube?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
What do you think?
Possibly located somewhere around the circled area below?

hmm....... I suspect the position of the drain-plug depends on which side of the car your steering wheel is installed. Your picture has Chinese/Japanese? writing, but it's not clear to me whether it's right, or left hand drive.

BUT - if you look closely at the part of your picture shown below - I think the drain plug is obvious (for this steering wheel side car)

Don

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
hmm....... I suspect the position of the drain-plug depends on which side of the car your steering wheel is installed. Your picture has Chinese/Japanese? writing, but it's not clear to me whether it's right, or left hand drive.

BUT - if you look closely at the part of your picture shown below - I think the drain plug is obvious (for this steering wheel side car)

Don
I'm pretty sure the drain pipe for mk7 are located on the right side of the car regardless of RHD or LHD model
I have the RHD model and the drain pipe is located under the foot rest on driver side (right side)
The video I shared earlier, is a LHD model, and the drain pipe is located on the passenger (right side) -

I went underneath my car yesterday and I can confirm there are no holes on the heat shield that leads to the AC drain outlet hence I suspect it is well hidden underneath the heat shield

Will update again once I receive the replacement drain pipe (5Q2 820 127 E - for RHD models, "E" is the latest revision)
I plan to use a borescope or a thin tubing and see where does the outlet lead to

Item #43 here - https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2013-746/8/820-820010/#43
drain pipe 1.jpg

drain pipe.jpg

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
As promised, I did the water drainage hose replacement today and will be sharing some of the things that I've found out:

(1) According to ETKA, 5Q2820127E is the latest revision hence I ordered this part number from e-acca. The part I received is made in china and has a "valeo" logo on it. while the one that came with my car has a "denso" logo, made in Germany but doesn't have an official part number on it. Length and angle wise, they're identical. The section that connects to the evaporator outlet is the same but there's a major difference in the tube outlet that goes out of the car.
The 3 clips are replaced with a round rubber plug that has an attached "slide" for water to drip down - the revised version seems better? What do you think?
A.jpgB.jpg
5e72d83c-bf8b-4451-b996-c147e47b4006.jpg

(2) Here's a simplified removal steps for a RHD mk7 GTI
1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg4.jpg

(3) The outlet hole is covered by the firewall underneath the car, it is impossible to look for the hole underneath the car as there's no direct line of sight.
One good thing about it is the outlet will be protected from any dirt/debris from underneath as the firewall is blocking it.
5.jpg

I've inserted a thin tubing into the outlet to check where does it exit.
Based on what I've observed, injecting any evaporator cleaning foam/chemicals from underneath the car without removing anything seems pretty impossible.
You'll have to remove the tube from the body of the car to do so. Or remove the firewall underneath to access the tube outlet.
6.jpg7.jpg

That's all for now. Feel free to drop me any question regarding this and I'll try my best to answer.

Last edited:

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
Interesting. I dealt with this issue in my 1978 Scirocco. My bride to be was staying at my house and attending a summer grad school at a nearby university. She borrowed my Scirocco because her car a/c wasn’t working well. She returned the first day liking my car but complained of a humid clammy feeling even though the car was plenty cool. Turned out to be the exact same thing and the evaporator drain tube was in the same place as the new VWs. Easy fix; apparently the hose had been kicked off the metal tube that went through the car floor by a passenger. Same design after all these years.

PasWagen

As promised, I did the water drainage hose replacement today and will be sharing some of the things that I've found out:

(1) According to ETKA, 5Q2820127E is the latest revision hence I ordered this part number from e-acca. The part I received is made in china and has a "valeo" logo on it. while the one that came with my car has a "denso" logo, made in Germany but doesn't have an official part number on it. Length and angle wise, they're identical. The section that connects to the evaporator outlet is the same but there's a major difference in the tube outlet that goes out of the car.
The 3 clips are replaced with a round rubber plug that has an attached "slide" for water to drip down - the revised version seems better? What do you think?

(2) Here's a simplified removal steps for a RHD mk7 GT

(3) The outlet hole is covered by the firewall underneath the car, it is impossible to look for the hole underneath the car as there's no direct line of sight.
One good thing about it is the outlet will be protected from any dirt/debris from underneath as the firewall is blocking it.
View attachment 229369

I've inserted a thin tubing into the outlet to check where does it exit.
Based on what I've observed, injecting any evaporator cleaning foam/chemicals from underneath the car without removing anything seems pretty impossible.
You'll have to remove the tube from the body of the car to do so. Or remove the firewall underneath to access the tube outlet.

That's all for now. Feel free to drop me any question regarding this and I'll try my best to answer.
I have a question regarding that specific picture - does the tube just drain out that hole or is there another tube past the hole that routes the water? It looks like that's where all outlet tubing ends.

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a question regarding that specific picture - does the tube just drain out that hole or is there another tube past the hole that routes the water? It looks like that's where all outlet tubing ends.
The water will drain out from that hole straight to the area between the firewall and car body.
You can't really see the hole from outside of the car as it is hidden beneath the firewall metal sheet if viewed from the bottom.