GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC evaporator drain tube?

greypanter

Ready to race!
Hey fellas, anyone knows or has a picture of where the AC drain tube is located on the 2015 GTI? My AC smells horrible at start up, tried all kinds of cleaners to get ride of the smell but it comes right back after a few days, am thinking I might have a clogged drain tube! Car has about 23k miles and yes the cabin air filter has been replaced less than 1k miles ago.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Do you get a puddle of water under the car with the AC on? Is the carpet wet in the passenger footwell area? If it was clogged you should get water inside the car. You would need to take apart at least the carpeting and console trim to look at the hose from the inside of the car. You have a warranty, right?

greypanter

Ready to race!
Do you get a puddle of water under the car with the AC on? Is the carpet wet in the passenger footwell area? If it was clogged you should get water inside the car. You would need to take apart at least the carpeting and console trim to look at the hose from the inside of the car. You have a warranty, right?
I still do have warranty, no water puddle under the car even after a long drive with the AC on, also I don't see or feel any wetness on either side of the footwell. If I could find the drain tube under the car I'd also like to fish through one of those AC evaporator cleaners and see if that would help. Went under the car but couldn't locate the actual tube!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Perhaps someone will post a photo of the underside of the car. I looked at the shop manual and it's not clear to me if it goes through the passenger side of the console or the area under the passenger airbag. Try looking under the car in those areas.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
And the problem might be in the evap housing.

One other question, OP, does it feel clammy and damp inside the car with the AC running?

greypanter

Ready to race!
Okay, I think I have a problem, i used this Kool-it to help get rid of the smell, uploadfromtaptalk1469065959708.jpg fished it up the condensation drain hose, emptied the whole can, waited 20 minutes, ran the car with the fan on low for 5 minutes as per instructions, and nothing is draining back down! It's been and hour and half still nothing... Where else would the liquid drain out from? And I ripped the bottom part of the drain hose that connects to the car ... Now am gonna need to replace it! [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] #14 shown on the 1st picture... Anyone knows what is the part number? Also what should I do if it still doesn't drain out by tomorrow?

greypanter

Ready to race!
And the problem might be in the evap housing.

One other question, OP, does it feel clammy and damp inside the car with the AC running?
No it doesn't, I felt all over the foot well, no moisture...

greypanter

Ready to race!
Nevermind the drain hose part number, found it on VW vortex parts ...

defcon5

Ready to race!
Had this exact problem on my GTI MK2 (many, many years ago). I did not see or feel any water or dampness until I pealed back the carpet on the passenger side and discover the underlayment was soaking it up like a sponge.

greypanter

Ready to race!
Had this exact problem on my GTI MK2 (many, many years ago). I did not see or feel any water or dampness until I pealed back the carpet on the passenger side and discover the underlayment was soaking it up like a sponge.
Oh man, that's not a good news :). I'll keep an eye on the carpet. I still don't understand why the drain hose doesn't anything out![emoji17] [emoji17]

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you ever get this sorted out? My 2016 is starting to get a musty smell from the a/c so I have a can of Kool-It on the way. I’ll probably shoot this stuff through the drain tube under the car to avoid tearing the drain tube in the cabin.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Did you ever get this sorted out? My 2016 is starting to get a musty smell from the a/c so I have a can of Kool-It on the way. I’ll probably shoot this stuff through the drain tube under the car to avoid tearing the drain tube in the cabin.

Did you replace the cabin filter?

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Yes, maybe 3k miles ago and I’m at 20k now. The new filter that I got seems inferior to OEM as it is thinner but has more pleats (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZZ4P4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Zlv7zbA0MK40M). I use the A/C almost every time that I drive and I haven’t made it a habit to blast heat a few minutes before parking, so it’s probably not the fault of the filter.
Have you tried a charcoal-activated cabin filter?

I got this back in April when it was on sale for 15 b/c i have free prime shipping: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U...f=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AJ83zbY0G3Z9M

Here's what DAP has: https://shopdap.com//make-mode...-present/air-conditioning.html

I replaced mine back at 5k miles b/c the stock non-charcoal filter that came in my car smelled terrible starting at about 2k miles. I've driven about 5k with the filter from Amazon now, and I don't have any bad smells coming out of the AC vents.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk