GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC Compressor DIY?

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone replaced their own AC compressor? Is there a DIY anywhere, some serioud Googling didn't yield much so I''m assuming not. My mechanic quoted me $875 installed which is pretty hefty...

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
It’s not that involved. Release the AC system pressure. Drop the serp belt and unbolt the compressor like 3-4 bolts. The hardest part is probably removing the hard lines from the pump. They have a guide pin that can rust and really make removing the hard lines difficult. Should be able to do it all from under the car except maybe the tensioning pulley to drop the belt. Check that it’s not a simple, failed solenoid on the compressor before replacing the whole unit.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
It’s not that involved. Release the AC system pressure. Drop the serp belt and unbolt the compressor like 3-4 bolts. The hardest part is probably removing the hard lines from the pump. They have a guide pin that can rust and really make removing the hard lines difficult. Should be able to do it all from under the car except maybe the tensioning pulley to drop the belt. Check that it’s not a simple, failed solenoid on the compressor before replacing the whole unit.
Thanks. What’s the best way to check the solenoid?

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Is $875 with the new compressor and re charge? They are fairly expensive. It's probably only a 2 hour job from what I remember. If it includes all of that it's on the high side of reasonable. If that's labor only then it's way too high.
It’s the full shebang. He noted he’d use an AC Delco unit because it’s better or something.
I don’t have the means to discharge the refrigerant or refill it myself. FCP Euro doesn’t seem to have a replacement unit and I’m not sure where else to get one. I guess I could call local parts places. While I enjoy DIY I’m guessing now after posting this and researching more that it’s probably out of my ability.

does the system need to be purged to change the solenoid? I could likely replace that myself if not.
It’s just kind of funny that my 2001 E46 with 162k blows as cold as my ex wife’s heart but my 89k Mk7 decided to be a little bitch. Right as summer started. What a whore.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Thanks. What’s the best way to check the solenoid?
Without having a way to power it, a multimeter should be able to test for resistance at the very least. I would think a good tech would opt for this in his diagnosis but you never know these days.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Without having a way to power it, a multimeter should be able to test for resistance at the very least. I would think a good tech would opt for this in his diagnosis but you never know these days.
They checked for leaks and a some other stuff but didn't check the solenoid. When I set the appointment I was warned that these compressors go bad all the time. I think I may go for a second opinon because I'm not about to drop almost a grand. Worst case, I just won't drive it when it's hot out. Thank you for the input. I may test the solenoid myself just to see.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Discharging the system is almost as simple as releasing air from a tire but pollution, harmful chemicals etc... Recharging the system is can be around $200-300 or less if they aren't inspecting for leaks and what not. So like Jay said it sounds about right with parts and labor, but you can get in under DIY. If you know any HVAC friends they may be able to do the evacuate/refill for you as a favor.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
How do you know its the compressor? Its super easy, I have done a complete ac compressor rebuild on mine when I had a leak on the main seal. Anyways you can manually check to see if you have freon in the system. After that you can jump start the compressor directly to the battery to check to see if it spins.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
How do you know its the compressor? Its super easy, I have done a complete ac compressor rebuild on mine when I had a leak on the main seal. Anyways you can manually check to see if you have freon in the system. After that you can jump start the compressor directly to the battery to check to see if it spins.
My mechanic checked it out this morning and noted the refrigerant was low and leaking out of the “face”. Aside from that it functions fine. He recharged the system and told me it’ll last maybe a couple weeks. I’m most worried about pollution if I were to attempt it myself.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
If pollution werent a concern, you could easily replace/rebuild the compressor. Then you could use a vacuum pump from harbor freight to evacuate the system of air and recharge it with the proper refrigerant. Harbor freight sells all the things needed.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
My mechanic checked it out this morning and noted the refrigerant was low and leaking out of the “face”. Aside from that it functions fine. He recharged the system and told me it’ll last maybe a couple weeks. I’m most worried about pollution if I were to attempt it myself.

sounds like exactly what I had to do. I would wait until I guess its low after leaking slow. Probably should add some Dye to make sure that is the actual leaking spot also. You will need to pay someone to evacuate your system if you are worried about doing that part yourself. Once that is done and you get the compressor off to either replace or rebuild. Replace the Receiver/Dryer at the same time. Add correct about of PAG oil. Create a vacuum to get all moisture out of the system. Refill to correct pressure according to temperature outside.