GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC cold but not blowing strong ?

dublife2

Anyone have issues with AC not blowing strong enough? It blew at full power for about a minute on setting 6 but after it just died and felt like it’s blowing at a 1. It’s cold though. Happened to me twice now.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
My AC used to blow very cold and hard like a month ago. I just realized in the past week that even on 6 it feels like its blowing at a 2 or 3. Also the temperature is not as frosty as it used to be. Don't get me wrong its still cold, maybe the lower airflow makes it feel less cool.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure if you have it over there but the button under the Auto one for us is "Set Up" and you can choose the fan settings from soft, medium, hard.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Had this happen a over a year ago in the winter time but it hasn't happened since. Now sure if its the blower motor or the blower motor resistor acting up.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Are you all talking about automatic climate control?

I also do not have this. I have a 2015 SE with standard AC controls. 3 knobs, no auto settings. Hopefully I can figure out what is up because my AC really needs to be on point for the weather coming up.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Change your cabin filter lately?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just changed it 700 miles ago. I probably should check it just to make sure everything's good.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Stock battery? Could be on it's way out so the car is shutting down consumer electronics to keep the car running. If so could also be a charging system issue. The over-run clutch on the alternator pulley could be bad, or the alternator bad. Common issues for VW. If you have a multimeter hook it up to the battery and check voltages. A healthy battery is 12.6 volts, but can often read lower depending if some computers are still awake (anything under 12.2 even when the computers are awake is troubling, but could just need a recharge). When the car is running at idle you should see 13v+, and if you rev up the car 14v+. Also check with all electrical loads on. Blower motor on full, and high beams on. At idle it should still read 13v+ and 14v+ when you rev it up. Recently diagnosed an 08 A3 with a failing alternator. Wasn't bad enough to set the EPS (battery) light yet. To turn off that light the car only needs to see 12.5v I think (when running).

Not sure what VW's cut off is, but BMW's will continue running (after shutting off all consumer electronics, and reducing power to things like the electronic power steering rack), until the battery reaches 8.6v. The last thing to lose power and force the car to shut off is the ABS module / pump, due to safety.

If it is just a blower motor issue, it could be the final stage/resistor for the blower motor, or the blower motor itself failing. I'm assuming our cars use a final stage to control the blower motor speed (most do). One way to test this is to put the car on full fan on defrost/fog and see if the fan still dies. That is the default fail state for the resistor, as for safety it is important to be able to defog the windshield. Normal indicator for the final stage failing is you only get fan speed on max. Since your fan starts out at max and slowly fades out, the resistor is likely good. So a blower motor or charging system issue is more likely.

Remote chance it is a issue with the blend door flaps or motors blocking off the air flow. That is normally fixed through an update, unless it is a mechanical or electrical issue. A few people have had issues with blend doors, mainly making noise.

Last edited:

MK7GolfTDI

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
I changed the cabin and engine air filters 2 weeks ago. I am performing the climatronic AC calibration today as shown in this video link below and will see if that helps. My issue is that even on Max AC it will start strong then after driving a bit it reduces the air flow through the vents even though I hear it blowing loud in the dash. Perhaps my flaps are getting stuck. I'm trying the calibration procedure first and will see by tomorrow if it acts up again.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
My system still doesn't blow very hard, especially the side vents. The air coming out of those is like a weak breeze. When I have the fan completely off and am driving, air still comes out of the vents. This makes me think maybe the flaps are getting stuck or somethin isnt right. Any easy way to diagnose this?

Tommyjohn342

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
Mine does the same thing, I've already replaced the resistor but that did not help. It will start out strong and blows cold, but after about 10-20 mins of driving eventually air just stops coming out of the vents. Even on speed 6 you can hear the blower motor running but the air is barely coming out. It has to be something with the flaps closing. Any idea how to fix this?