GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC Blower Motor or Resistor??

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

Now we are finally having some nice weather in the UK, the AC Fan in my Mk7 GTD has decided to fail! I am unsure if it is the blower motor itself or the resistor that is likely to have failed. The fan seems to fault intermittently. When the unit fails, the air flow out the vents drops right off and the fan starts makes a humming type noise. It sounds almost as if something is blocking/caught up in the fan. I have had the pollen filter out and checked everything and all is clear. Other times the fan just doesnt work at all and there is no air flow at all. When this happens, and the fan doesnt run, a relay can be heard clicking periodically near the glovebox and the air recirc option isnt available. In this case, the fan doesnt work on any fan speed setting or with the windscreen demist function. Sometimes, the fan works ok for a few minutes and will then start making the humming noise and the air flow will drop off. If the Climate control is then turned off for 5 or 10 minutes, it sometimes comes back to life for a while. It also seems to run for longer if the fan speed is kept low. The problem also seems to happen more when the car is hot - i.e. stood in the sun all day. I have less problems in the morning when it is cool vs when i get in the car after work (when it is red hot!!!). Does this sound familiar to anyone and is this typical of a resistor or the fan itself?

Cheers

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Sounds like you have a bearing seizing on the blower motor. I would pull it and spin it by hand. It should freewheel extremely well. If there is any resistance, it probably will need replacing.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Or try some bearing or 3 in 1 oil. Mine did the same thing at about 70k miles. Oiled it and it's still working fine at 110k miles. Oiled twice in that time.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sounds like the fan blade/turbine is sticking....which is why it works then it stops & you hear a humming sound..that's the blade stuck & the motor trying to turn it..