GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to take the plunge - '16 PP, ready to switch to 17s - looking for any stories saying NOPE

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
So I'm in the Denver area, tired of s--ty pavement etc. Seems sharp potholes/less post-winter repair (or, slower anyway) are becoming increasingly the norm. I figure it's time to switch to 17s with appropriate tire size, and I'm not worried about ultimate/at-the-limit handling (always have run performance A/S, not summer).

My question is this - has anyone made this switch and ended up regretting it, and if so, why?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just buy quality wheels, only tire/wheel regrets I’ve had were from low end cast wheels.

Now I just run OEM wheels exclusively, because I don’t care enough about light weight wheels to fork out the money for something lighter & equal/better built.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Really the only downsides are less clearance for larger brakes and usually a little less steering response from a taller sidewall. Sounds like neither of those are top priorities so would definitely go for it.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Rpf1s will clear but the weights need to go on the inner barrel only. There's maybe 2-3mm clearance between the caliper and barrel, so small rocks can and will get lodged in there, inducing an ass puckering screech. Not suitable to daily unless you have clean roads. Maybe others have more clearance.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Rpf1s will clear but the weights need to go on the inner barrel only. There's maybe 2-3mm clearance between the caliper and barrel, so small rocks can and will get lodged in there, inducing an ass puckering screech. Not suitable to daily unless you have clean roads. Maybe others have more clearance.
That's interesting.... I have 17s already for snows and certainly haven't had anything like that. Granted the clearance isn't THAT tight...I don't think...I did just swap the regulars back on so I can't check without putting one back....

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yeah I've had it happen maybe five or six times; the stones always seem a tad smaller than a pencil eraser. I'm sure there are others with a slightly different barrel design.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Yeah I've had it happen maybe five or six times; the stones always seem a tad smaller than a pencil eraser. I'm sure there are others with a slightly different barrel design.
I had a small sharp hard rock get stuck between brake disc and the dust etc shield (on a Forester). THAT was an interesting WHAT THE HELL - "oh I think I know what it must be" moment....

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Just buy quality wheels, only tire/wheel regrets I’ve had were from low end cast wheels.

Now I just run OEM wheels exclusively, because I don’t care enough about light weight wheels to fork out the money for something lighter & equal/better built.
This is a good point. Checking reviews on Tire Rack (which at least filters to what will really fit the vehicle.... The selection of wheels that are exact fit and lighter (part of the point of this exercise) looks to be on the plain cast/weak side. Which I was not thinking about so thanks for mentioning. AND since the other point of the exercise is in fact potholes, well...considering how surprised I am I have not damaged the factory wheels given some pretty hard hits here....

I may be coming to a totally different conclusion than that I set out on, the potential of which was the point of this question in the first place....

Edit: or I may arrive at a different price point I suppose....

Last edited:

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Would
This is a good point. Checking reviews on Tire Rack (which at least filters to what will really fit the vehicle.... The selection of wheels that are exact fit and lighter (part of the point of this exercise) looks to be on the plain cast/weak side. Which I was not thinking about so thanks for mentioning. AND since the other point of the exercise is in fact potholes, well...considering how surprised I am I have not damaged the factory wheels given some pretty hard hits here....

I may be coming to a totally different conclusion than that I set out on, the potential of which was the point of this question in the first place....

Edit: or I may arrive at a different price point I suppose....
Would definitely recommend any of the wheels Apex has released for VWs. The cast wheels are a pretty good price (especially when a sale is running) and the forged wheels are also pretty decently priced for what you’re getting. Not messing with hub centric rings or having to get different wheel bolts/lug nuts is always nice since the wheels were actually spec’d out for our cars

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Would

Would definitely recommend any of the wheels Apex has released for VWs. The cast wheels are a pretty good price (especially when a sale is running) and the forged wheels are also pretty decently priced for what you’re getting. Not messing with hub centric rings or having to get different wheel bolts/lug nuts is always nice since the wheels were actually spec’d out for our cars
Thanks for this, I had not heard of them.