GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to pay off the R

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I held out as long as I could. Tuned at 40k 18 months of CPO lost. ZFG it’s SO FUN:cool:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Get a tune, well worth it. Drive the car and enjoy. Tuning it alone doesn't blanket void your warranty like many think. I tuned my gti with 7k miles on it, bigger turbo at 20k. Nothing's going to blow up from a tune. I just bought a new Tacoma and tuned that one with 300 miles on it 😃

they make tunes for Tacoma’s? Lol. How much power do you gain out of an ancient NA V6 with a tune? Does it also adjust the transmission logic?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
they make tunes for Tacoma’s? Lol. How much power do you gain out of an ancient NA V6 with a tune? Does it also adjust the transmission logic?
Nothing crazy, about 30hp. It significantly changes the throttle response and stupid transmission though.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Noiiiice! Go ballz to the wallz with it now! Let the feeling of full ownership hit you. You can do whatever tf you want with it!

I'm about to pay off my 17 GTI this month I think. Got it in December of last year with 24k miles. At 29k miles now... Already did all the mods you see in the signature in less than a year of owning it, lol.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Nothing crazy, about 30hp. It significantly changes the throttle response and stupid transmission though.

hinestly, 30HP ain’t nothing to scoff at for a NA engine. Pretty sure the APR tune for the 3.6 V6 is like 10 torque, 11 HP haha.

unless of course the difference is simply that Toyota intentionally detained their V6 even more than VW did theirs. Which would make total sense, being a Toyota with their obsession with overall reliability.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
hinestly, 30HP ain’t nothing to scoff at for a NA engine. Pretty sure the APR tune for the 3.6 V6 is like 10 torque, 11 HP haha.

unless of course the difference is simply that Toyota intentionally detained their V6 even more than VW did theirs. Which would make total sense, being a Toyota with their obsession with overall reliability.
Definitely nothin to scoff at. I like the truck, but coming from a track built Gti even with a tune it's still slow as balls. It's a truck though, not meant to be fast.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Definitely nothin to scoff at. I like the truck, but coming from a track built Gti even with a tune it's still slow as balls. It's a truck though, not meant to be fast.

Those PreRunner V6 engines are really good. The Tacomas are not slow trucks. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota offers a TRD supercharger option from the dealership as well.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Those PreRunner V6 engines are really good. The Tacomas are not slow trucks. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota offers a TRD supercharger option from the dealership as well.
The motor is really a beast.

My lady friend has a stock Jetta 1.8t and it blew the doors off the Tacoma lol. It's slow.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Unless you're literally spending the money you would have otherwise spent on car payments on mods (aka you're unable to keep up on payments because of your sweet mods), financing shouldn't make a difference IMO. Especially if you essentially are financing for free (0% APR loan), it doesn't make sense to pay it off faster, unless you just want the title to make selling private party easier in the future.

The warranty is always the bigger concern. I just paid off my car too but am still undecided if I want a turbo + tune (mainly because turbo and tune are expensive and gas prices are stupid high right now and I'm not even driving the car).

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Unless you're literally spending the money you would have otherwise spent on car payments on mods (aka you're unable to keep up on payments because of your sweet mods), financing shouldn't make a difference IMO. Especially if you essentially are financing for free (0% APR loan), it doesn't make sense to pay it off faster, unless you just want the title to make selling private party easier in the future.

The warranty is always the bigger concern. I just paid off my car too but am still undecided if I want a turbo + tune (mainly because turbo and tune are expensive and gas prices are stupid high right now and I'm not even driving the car).
It would also affect his ability to get future loans; in case he wants a more balling house. Having paid off cars is cool. I haven't had a car payment since I was 27 - pretty proud of that. When you show up to buy a car in cash, you also get a better deal. When I got my GTI, I literally brought $21K in cash - the car was selling for $22.5L; they gave it to me for the cash amount.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It would also affect his ability to get future loans; in case he wants a more balling house. Having paid off cars is cool. I haven't had a car payment since I was 27 - pretty proud of that. When you show up to buy a car in cash, you also get a better deal. When I got my GTI, I literally brought $21K in cash - the car was selling for $22.5L; they gave it to me for the cash amount.

I think it depends on the dealer. Some dealers want to make money off of you through the financing. The dealer I bought my car from had a lower OTD price if I took their crazy loan rate (6% IIRC).

Even if I had the cash I'd do a 0% APR loan if available so I'm not out all the cash at once and it also helps build/keep credit, which helps when it comes time to buy a house.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I think it depends on the dealer. Some dealers want to make money off of you through the financing. The dealer I bought my car from had a lower OTD price if I took their crazy loan rate (6% IIRC).

Even if I had the cash I'd do a 0% APR loan if available so I'm not out all the cash at once and it also helps build/keep credit, which helps when it comes time to buy a house.
But affects your ability to get credit - I guess it depends on how tight you are. But in principle, I agree with you, if the money is free, stretch it out. In my case, I had just privately sold my MK7 TDi for 14K, so I just threw 7 on top.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I tuned my 2016 Gti before it’s first oil change, and it’s is38 with 112k miles on it issue free.

Never been back to the dealership for anything since the day I picked it up in December 2015. I paid it off a while ago, but always had the means to cover anything the warranty wouldn’t have covered.

Our 2021 GLI has 9k miles on it, and it’s still stock since the wife doesn’t care to mod it. We owe on it still, but again not a factor in the mod/don’t mod decision.