GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to order new GTD - What Spec???

GC854

Ready to race!
I have been running a stock GTD for around 20 months. The only extra added being Santiagos. Have loved the car and this time round VW have dropped the leasing price for a replacement by around £1k per year. The lease is for 2yrs at 35000 miles per year. So.... I can add some toys but which ones would you folks who have them recommend?

I am going for standard wheels. The Santiagos look great and I have had no trouble with them but to replace a 19" tyre costs about £100 more than a 18".

So:

Red with Tech Pack (Discover Pro and Dynaudio)
Red with sunroof and Sport and Sound Pack

Met Paint with Sport and Sound Pack, Dynaudio, and auto headlights

I cover over 30k miles a year but have heard mixed reviews on the Discover Pro and some say the Dynaudio only shines when played loudly.

Over to you - any thoughts from those who have these options gratefully received!

richiekuk

Ready to race!
I would say Dynaudio. Mine has it, and I've had loaners without it. I missed it every time. The sub isn't up to much, and stays turned down most of the time. But the rest is just better.

I only have Discover Nav. but have had no problems whatsoever with it.

Sunroof adds unnecessary weight in my opinion.

I'd have one for the std 18's if mine was ordered new, but it was ex dem so no choice.

They do look good in red too.

GC854

Ready to race!
Thanks Richie. I will certainly stick with the 18" s and given the fact I spend a lot of hours in the car Dynaudio would make sense. I do like to listen to music and I probably spend more time listening to music in the car than in the house.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Agree on the wheel issue - and the 19" are stupidly expensive considering the car has 18"s standard.

Auto headlights are standard anyway (unless you mean the High beam Assist (which is a bit of a gimmick and seems to work about a nano second or so after you want the full beams to come on so can be rather annoying)...

Dynaudio - so often asked... I have it but never heard a car without so can't really comment. If anything I was rather underwhelmed by it but would possibly spec it again but not without some careful listening of the standard system first.

Pro-nav - with the new MIB2 system (and larger screen) being standard fit there is absolutely no point in it in my opinion.

Sport and Sound Pack - not for me - but if you want an exhaust pipe with a speaker in it then go for it.

Sunroof - more weight and very expensive - only worth it if you are one of those that has to have one at any cost.

Personally my spec would now be (based on the fact my car is a pre BW22 so there are several items standard now that were options then):

Parking pack
possibly Dynaudio

and thats it....

acoustic

Passed Driver's Ed
Parking pack with the rear camera and the self parking is a bargain for about £250. Watching the car park itself never fails to impress whoever else is in the car.

Wish i had gone for dynaudio. Had a bang & olufsen sustem in last car and I'm only now realising how good it really was. Wasn't stupidly loud but the sound really was impressive. Standard setup in the golf just sounds a bit flat to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GC854

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. It's good to read the comments from folk who have these options. I will probably go with Dynaudio. I haven't heard it but most folk who have it seem to agree that they would go for it again. So glad that VW have included a Nav system as I had a back window smashed a few months ago when thieves made off with my Tom Tom despite the car being in a secure locked car park with vid surveillance!!! The Pro system might be nice to have but my main requirement is to have traffic warnings and both standard and pro systems can get this. As I get older a larger screen might be a good thing though!!!
The parking pack might also be a nice to have but I have had no problems parking with the current system which is standard.
I do enjoy having this problem :)

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
The parking pack is cheap and it gets you the camera (very worthwhile in my opinion) another button on the otherwise 'overly populated with false buttons' centre console. The Park Assist is worth it for the few times you use it - amazing piece of technology.

Most of the 'cheap' options are worth having IMO - the tricky ones are the big price tag items such as leather where you really need to want it.

Then again, just taking Dynaudio alone will give you a great spec car such is the level of standard equipment now.

GC854

Ready to race!
Sure will. The spec now is certainly a lot better than my 2014 version ��

southlegend

Passed Driver's Ed
Only specced Dynaudio on mine as we got the bw22 goodies. It really packs a punch and sounds great, especially when you've got it tweaked to your tastes.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the DNS Pro. None of the VW satnavs are great, they do the basic expectation of a sat nav. I use our DNS Standard when I'm not on a time critical drive and it does the job. It doesn't touch the TomTom app on iOS with the traffic updates though!

J400uk

Ready to race!
I wouldn't bother with DNS Pro as the standard MIB II DNS is very good. Would however add App Connect and Parking Pack since they are cheap and nice additions to have!

Lane Assist could be worth considering since it should combine nicely with the adaptive cruise control, making for semi-autonomous highway driving. That's one thing I regret not speccing on mine. Also gives you high beam assist and traffic sign recognition.

Colour wise I went for Tornado Red and would recommend for sure! Looks smart with the 18s :)

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Its an expensive option though really is it not?

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Was an option when I got my GTD back in 2014, but maybe standard now, but anywho having keyless entry is awesome!

High beam assist, yeah, I like it, but so much traffic around even at night that it doesn't get many chances to actually turn up the power.

DSG is the king, but thats a personal choice.

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
Keyless is fantastic but isn't available on the 3 door anymore. It's standard on the 5 door.

I went crazy with the options when I spec'd my car and I did a bit of a review of the options on my my GTI,

DSG - I've had a couple of auto gearboxes but this is my first double clutcher. I've been slated by a couple of people for having an auto in a hot hatch but I love it. especially combining this with the active cruise it's really nice in traffic. It's great when pressing on and using the paddles too. I'm pretty sure all my daily's from this point on will be auto.

DCC - Can certainly feel the difference these make, I either run it in comfort or sport there's not much point in normal really. I'd say it's in comfort mode 90% of the time but now I've got the car run it a reasonable amount I'm sure sport will be utilised more.

Lane Assist - This is bundled with blind spot monitoring and dynamic headlights. The headline part the lane assist is ok but not something I would go mad to have again, it just feels like the car is tram lining when its doing it's think, can be switched off but I leave it on. Blind spot monitoring is a really nice thing to have, I spend a reasonable time on the motorway so it's good to have something keeping an extra eye out. Dynamic headlights. This is the main reason I went for this option and they are truly amazing. Everyone should have these they are that good. It's fantastic how they light the road up without dazzling the other road users. I will want all my future cars to have this ability.

Pro Nav - Part of the tech pack. Works really well, I've used the sat nav and voice control to set destinations on the fly. The bigger screen is nice to have too, it fills the dash and makes it look complete. I'm loving apple car play which works flawlessly too.

Dynaudio - Fantastic sound and another option I'm really pleased to have. When my steering wheel was being changed I had a GTE which had the standard small screen and base speakers, they were ok but I'm glad to have the upgrade.

Climate screen - To be honest I've not really had the benefit of this yet but I'm sure once the frosts start it will be invaluable, i hope so it was an expensive option for what it is. It's nice not having the small wires that most heated screens have in them though.

Advanced telephone connection - I was forced into this because of the heated screen but as I have an iPhone I can't make use of it properly due to apple's protocol. I am pleased to have the usb socket in the armrest though, I'm using this so that my cable mostly stays in there I can then put my phone on the cover over the cupholders. Overall a waste for iPhone users really.

Parking Pack- Went for this for two reasons, I wanted the camera and I hate having blank buttons in cars. The camera is really good but it would be nice to have a higher resolution image, it's pretty poor for this day and age. I thought the self park feature would be a bit of a novelty but I've ended up using it to parallel park a few times and it works really well. I've not used it for bay parking though because it places the car between the other cars not in-between the lines.

Leather interior - A controversial choice seeing as the tartan is so iconic but I really don't like it. The leather makes it a lot classier in my opinion. It's expensive for what it is, the quality isn't as good as BMW or Range Rover put in their cars but I'm happy with it.

Tinted Glass - Such a cheap option and looks great. I like how the wires in the rear window don't stand out like they do with aftermarket tints.

Overall the lane assist and dynaudio are the best but to be honest I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
The bigger screen is nice to have too, it fills the dash and makes it look complete.
In MIB1 form it really made a difference but with the new larger MIB2 standard units the difference is minimal

cooky19

Car(s)
Golf GTD 2016
I'd definitely go for Santiagos suit the car so much and on Camskill tyres 19 inch premium tyres are only £30 more than there 18 inch brothers!! Sport and sound pack as the red calipers look so nice, Dynamic chassis the ride is fantastic even on bumpy roads with 19's on even in sport setting and Tech pack, Dynaudio sounds great. I have a 3 door and Keyless entry came standard. colour wise it has to Be Tornado red or if your going metallic Carbon Grey. I have leather its an expensive indulgence but looks lovely.