GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to hit 70K recommended services?

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Noooo, I didn't replace it as a maintenance item.
It was replaced under warranty. 😄

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you haven't already upgraded them, maybe give your mounts a quick check. Check over tubes/belts. Seems like you've kept up on most of it, so shouldn't be anything major.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
If you haven't already upgraded them, maybe give your mounts a quick check. Check over tubes/belts. Seems like you've kept up on most of it, so shouldn't be anything major.

I think it's time to upgrade my engine mounts. Now would be a perfect time to do so. I'll check my current ones, but I heard a few of the mounts on this car like to fail(?) If I read correctly in a previous forum post. I already have the pendulum mount, so I might as well finish off the other few pieces of the engine / transmission. Thanks for the suggestion. (y)(y)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think it's time to upgrade my engine mounts. Now would be a perfect time to do so. I'll check my current ones, but I heard a few of the mounts on this car like to fail(?) If I read correctly in a previous forum post. I already have the pendulum mount, so I might as well finish off the other few pieces of the engine / transmission. Thanks for the suggestion. (y)(y)

Recommendation is the BFI stage 1 mounts. Stage 2 if very high HP and don't mind a little vibration.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Recommendation is the BFI stage 1 mounts. Stage 2 if very high HP and don't mind a little vibration.
What would you consider high HP? Over 500 or over 400? I do plan on getting a bigger turbo next year. (Maybe from EQT)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What would you consider high HP? Over 500 or over 400? I do plan on getting a bigger turbo next year. (Maybe from EQT)

I would say over 450 HP. I'm at 416 HP so someone else with more power could answer better.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It’s not really related to hp as much as the use of the car, street car and you’re sensitive to NVH, stick with stage 1

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I would say over 450 HP. I'm at 416 HP so someone else with more power could answer better.
It’s not really related to hp as much as the use of the car, street car and you’re sensitive to NVH, stick with stage 1
Okay for sure. I don't mind NVH at all honestly. Either one would probably do though. Guess I'll go stage one. Makes more sense for now.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
+1 BFI S1 mounts. Especially since you already have a pendulum mount, BFI S1 Engine/Trans mounts will pair nicely with the pendulum mount. You can run the BFI S1 dogbone insert that comes with the mounts, but I would suggest a full insert like Powerflex, Revo, ECS etc. BFI's S1 dogbone insert doesn't reach up to the upper bushing, and any dogbone mount solution that doesnt reach the upper bushing is an inferior design that will lead to premature failure of the lower bushing.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
+1 BFI S1 mounts. Especially since you already have a pendulum mount, BFI S1 Engine/Trans mounts will pair nicely with the pendulum mount. You can run the BFI S1 dogbone insert that comes with the mounts, but I would suggest a full insert like Powerflex, Revo, ECS etc. BFI's S1 dogbone insert doesn't reach up to the upper bushing, and any dogbone mount solution that doesnt reach the upper bushing is an inferior design that will lead to premature failure of the lower bushing.
For sure, out of the brands listed which one would you recommend for the dogbone insert? (I see you chose APR)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
For sure, out of the brands listed which one would you recommend for the dogbone insert? (I see you chose APR)

I wouldn’t suggest metal inserts as they just destroy the stock dogbone bushing over time and the performance degrades back to where it was stock, even with the mounts in. Then your bushing is shot and you either need a new bushing + poly inserts, OR a full replacement bushing like Powerflex Hybrid, ECS/HPA.

I would suggest Powerflex insert.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I wouldn’t suggest metal inserts as they just destroy the stock dogbone bushing over time and the performance degrades back to where it was stock, even with the mounts in. Then your bushing is shot and you either need a new bushing + poly inserts, OR a full replacement bushing like Powerflex Hybrid, ECS/HPA.

I would suggest Powerflex insert.
Sounds good, thank you for the suggestion.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
At 70k, depending on driving conditions, your suspension will start to be pretty worn out (dampers). Dampers don't usually fail, but their performance decay happens over time. If you're on OEM struts, either an OEM refresh or an OEM+ (think Bilstein B4 or B6) would yield a nice refresh.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
At 70k, depending on driving conditions, your suspension will start to be pretty worn out (dampers). Dampers don't usually fail, but their performance decay happens over time. If you're on OEM struts, either an OEM refresh or an OEM+ (think Bilstein B4 or B6) would yield a nice refresh.
Would worn dampers cause squeaking? I don't think they would, but just making sure. It doesn't happen often, mostly when it's cold. (Also I do plan on upgrading. Once my engine internals are done, I'm moving onto suspension.)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would worn dampers cause squeaking? I don't think they would, but just making sure. It doesn't happen often, mostly when it's cold. (Also I do plan on upgrading. Once my engine internals are done, I'm moving onto suspension.)

Worn dampers (shocks) don't squeak. You know they are worn to the point of replacement when rebound control isn't controlled.
In other words you hit a bump and the car bounces up and down instead of hitting the bump and immediately stabilizing. And you'll see in the tire tread wear if the shocks are worn out.