GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to be MK7 GTI Owner in a couple hours

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Good morning my fellow VWers.
I'm come before you humble from the MK6 GTI forum. Let me start by saying, SNAILPOWER, reveal yourself! lol, I had that name on the mk6 forums but it's coo. It's all love here.

So I'm about to head to my dealer to close on a deal for a white 2017 MK7 Autobahn edition. I had zero thoughts of ever upgrading my MK6 GTI until I passed by a dealer selling this one. I thought, hmm, let me go inside and get the deets on it. 25k miles, looks brand new inside and out. 1 owner with a clean carfax and from the looks of it, never touched with any after market (for now :) ).

My MK6 GTI only has 58k miles on it and was a 2014 I bought brand new that has just about every part upgraded with the K04 to top it off. It's about as much reliable fun as you can get with the car. Now I know the mk7s are potent as well. I think stage 1 brings it to around 300hp which is great because knowing now how useless too much power was with myMK6 K04, I don't think I'll have to ever go beyond Stage 1.

As a first time owner, brand new to the Mk7 world, any first mod recommendations and is anyone aware of any outstanding issues with the Mk7? Specifically 2017? Knowing what I've learned from the Mk6 and my first VW ever, I have a better going into it the Mk7 with mod ideas than when I started on the Mk6. I'm thinking off the bat I'll tint it a tad, I'd like to lower it just to hide the wheel gap (probably in Spring), spacers enough to get it flush with fenders (is there fender mod here as well?). Stage 1 probably in Spring as well (do the coil packs need to be upgraded for Stage 1?). I'd like short shifter eventually (Diesel Geek anyone?). That would probably be the first mods that come to mind to enhance appearance and ride quality. I really don't want to go exhaust upgrades anymore after the nightmares I dealt with to get the mk6 thru inspection. I just need to get larger exhaust tip piping, I hate those puny tips, lol.

Anyways, enough ranting. Hopefully you'll see me back in a few hours as a happy new mk7 owner (or the deal went south and you'll never hear from me again, rofl) . I'll see about pictures today because it's pouring. Might have to wait until tomorrow.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your purchase. You do not need to upgrade the coils for any stage of tune.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nice snag and welcome to the club!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Hello and welcome! Congrats on the new Mk7. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd love to see some pics!

To answer your questions:
As a first time owner, brand new to the Mk7 world, any first mod recommendations
Stage 1 tune alone gets you the best bang for your buck. There are plenty of OTS tunes to choose from, Uni, APR, etc. 5150 Racing and Stratified are also popular and have a good reputation on the platform if you are looking for a pro tune. CAI not as effective as it was on prior platforms.
and is anyone aware of any outstanding issues with the Mk7?
Maybe some others can chime in on this one. I don't think there is much that needs to be addressed. Just keep up on maintenance. Carbon buildup seems to occur sooner than you'd expect and is worth keeping in mind.
spacers enough to get it flush with fenders (is there fender mod here as well?).
Yes there is fender screw mod that will get you enough clearance to run 245s at full lock (depending on ride height). 15mm/20mm flush kit will get you where you want to be with stock wheels. Any 8.5 wide wheel with an ET45 should be about flush if you go aftermarket (Neuspeed, Apex, Konig, VMR are all direct fit and popular options) EDIT: actually I'm not sure if Konig is direct fit and also unsure if the Apex wheels are still in development or already available.
do the coil packs need to be upgraded for Stage 1?).
No coil pack or plug upgrade needed until stage 2. Just make sure plugs are gapped properly.
I'd like short shifter eventually (Diesel Geek anyone?).
They are a popular option. No experience with them myself.

Last edited:

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Hey guys. Thanks for the welcome and replies with information :cool:(y)

I did snag it. I'll get pics tomorrow after they detail it. It's pouring all day today so there is nothing good out of a picture, lol.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I have the diesel geek sigma6 and it might be my favorite upgrade I’ve done to the car!

Awesome. Yeah, it was one of the best small mods I did and I probably did it within a year of owning the car but wished I did it even sooner. I feel like the shifter in the mk7 sits low but the throws are still rather long. I think I'll eventually do that also in Spring.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
I had my mk6 gti for 3 years and went to a mk7 gti. The mk7 is so much better in every way, but I still prefer the steering wheel in the mk6. I've had the mk7 for 6 years now and put 49,00 miles on it. Issues I've ran into were carbon build up on the valves and a leaky thermostat housing. Other than that it's been running great since.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
20201201_120551.jpg
20201201_123302.jpg
20201201_123313.jpg
20201201_133530.jpg

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Not sure I dig Austins too much but I'll rock them for now. Definitely need to remove that wheel gap eventually. Hopefully do that in Spring. Unfortunately the original owner allowed dealer to mount front plate. I'm going to probably remove it but wondering how I can plug the holes to not look weird... Had to do a lil interior vacuuming to get it up to my standards, lol. I also will remove that tow hook at under the car in Spring. No need for that.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Bumperplugs.com

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure I dig Austins too much but I'll rock them for now. Definitely need to remove that wheel gap eventually. Hopefully do that in Spring. Unfortunately the original owner allowed dealer to mount front plate. I'm going to probably remove it but wondering how I can plug the holes to not look weird... Had to do a lil interior vacuuming to get it up to my standards, lol. I also will remove that tow hook at under the car in Spring. No need for that.
As far as the bumper holes, I just took mine to a body shop and got it done right. Not that expensive. My OCD could never allow me to look at plugs, lol.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The 2017 Autobahn is a great choice, reliability + options-wise. If you found a good deal on a low mileage one in mint condition that’s unmolested, I’d call it the jackpot.

On one hand, you’ve got the last model year of the MK7 (2015-2017, with the 2018+ being “7.5”). In other words, all the factory defects are WELL sorted by now.

On the other hand, you’ve got a fully-loaded GTI that’s essentially a tune and tires away from exceeding Golf R performance, for a fraction of the price. Lighting Pack, Performance Pack, DCC, Fender, leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, acc, all the driver assistance tech... list definitely goes on and on lol.

I’m most jealous of DCC. The glutton for punishment in me wants to retrofit it on my Alltrack and get Bilstein B4 Damptronics. Installing non-DCC B6’s soon. Likely won’t go through with the retrofit lol, I’m not electrical savvy, and the labor + parts would cost more than a set of Öhlins.