GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A3 EA888 gen 3 with evo 4 turbo swap

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Really cool video. They have the previous gen A3 with 3 EA888 IS38 swap and DP. It made around 400 PS, the owner swapped the IS38 turbo for the new OEM evo4 Continental turbo. They made 460 PS with new turbo.

Translation:

A3 with IS38 swap and supporting mods made about 400 hp. They bolted on the new Continental turbo from the MK8R and made 460 hp with same mods. He says there were no real issues with the swap so it seems you can slap on the new MK8R turbo on the MK7 EA888 gen 3 engines.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I didn't think that the MK8 turbos could bolt on to the EA888.3... Interesting. Furthermore, I don't know how that's possible without additional fueling mods.

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
They didn't need a new tune?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
So to do this with minimal fabrication I think you need:

Mk8 diverter valve + Mk8 throttle pipe. (DV relocated to piping)
Turbo speed sensor or block-off. (stock mk8 ecu runs a speed sensor)
Mk8 PCV + Inlet. (Mk8 PCV has a return directly to the turbo)

Mk8 downpipe, but might need some custom piping to connect your catback.

Maybe you have to modify a coupler here and there but shouldn't be that bad. Just gotta tune it properly. Not bad considering the PCV is probably nicer (new revision, engineered for more boost (21psi vs 17 stock).

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
This could change my whole plan. What's their definition of 'supporting mods', with IS38 making 400hp I'm imagining FBO + corn? Either way if it's as straightforward of a swap as the IS38, I might have to wait a little and see what becomes of these evo4 turbos.
An IS38 can make 400hp at the crank on 93, this guy is in europe and their dynos typically generate a crank hp number, rather than at the wheels. So the 460hp is likely closer to 400whp which is still pretty darn impressive.

Once those turbos become cheap on the used market I think this could become a compelling option for a lot of people

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Another one:

To my understanding at around 5 min mark, he shows a dyno overlap from a 8Y S3 (evo4) vs gen 3 with the new Continental turbo. If I am understanding correctly, same setup/mods on both cars.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
An IS38 can make 400hp at the crank on 93, this guy is in europe and their dynos typically generate a crank hp number, rather than at the wheels. So the 460hp is likely closer to 400whp which is still pretty darn impressive.

Once those turbos become cheap on the used market I think this could become a compelling option for a lot of people

I believe those are crank numbers. They are getting 460-470 hp with a DP and IC with the Gen 3 and Evo 4 engines and the Continental turbo, which is about 60 hp more than they were getting with the IS38 and same bolt-ons. The runs were done with 98 RON so 93. So it looks like this new turbo has a quicker spool and better top end than the IS38 and yields about 50-60 more hp with the same mods. I would like to see this in comparison to the APR DTR unit.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I believe those are crank numbers. They are getting 460-470 hp with a DP and IC with the Gen 3 and Evo 4 engines and the Continental turbo, which is about 60 hp more than they were getting with the IS38 and same bolt-ons. The runs were done with 98 RON so 93. So it looks like this new turbo has a quicker spool and better top end than the IS38 and yields about 50-60 more hp with the same mods. I would like to see this in comparison to the APR DTR unit.
I think we already know it would embarrass the DTR. I'd like to see it stacked against a Garrett Powermax.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Ugh guess won’t be selling the car anytime soon.

Would be a shame if my AWE catted dp (mk7) won’t bolt up as it passes emissions here in NY. Anyone have a DIY or more detailed parts list required for the swap?