GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A2B RS3 retro pump no longer avail.?... alternative options LPFP for GTi...a2b protec brushless or eqt brushless

2 pumps enter one pump leaves

• Total voters

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
So I have been in the market for a LPFP for the GTI to allow for full e85 for my is38 set up, I have been waiting for restock on the rs3 retrofit from a2b but was informed that they will no longer be selling that pump, only the PROTEC brushless
https://a2bmotorsport.net/collectio...kit-for-4-cyl-mqb-cars?variant=40517112201412,

the price jump is 200 bucks which isn't the hang up, it is the decision between that as a drop in and retune option or the offering from EQT https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw...hless-lpfp-mqb-ea888-3?variant=40774667501728 priced 100$ cheaper.

the original set up was, as some of you know offered from A2B https://a2bmotorsport.net/collectio...torsport-rs3-brushless-fuel-pump-retrofit-kit priced at 1060$ seems to be a OEM unit which had some fueling restrictions around 500 whp

Do any of you fellas have any experience with these drop in kits?. my aversion to the 535 and torq byte controller is i'd like a drop in solution. with that being said. if anyone knows or has experience with either please feel free to chime in.

I am not looking for someone to tell me how to build the car, just want to make the best informed decision I can, I learned the hard way with the is38
(should have went bigger to start with)

thanks
-Cory

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I thought the GTI only needs an HPFP for full E85 on an IS38?

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I thought the GTI only needs an HPFP for full E85 on an IS38?
You actually need HPFP + LPFP for full E85 on IS38.

OP: The A2B RS3 LPFP made 520WHP on E85 with my setup, so no complaints here.
I would probably lean towards A2B's new LPFP, because they also have an optional lift pump that is supposed to solve the fuel starvation issues that some people have had with the old RS3 retrofit LPFP.

acegp1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
You actually need HPFP + LPFP for full E85 on IS38.

OP: The A2B RS3 LPFP made 520WHP on E85 with my setup, so no complaints here.
I would probably lean towards A2B's new LPFP, because they also have an optional lift pump that is supposed to solve the fuel starvation issues that some people have had with the old RS3 retrofit LPFP.
What is your source that you need an LPFP? I am tuned by EQT on an IS38 for E85 with just an Autotech HPHP.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
What is your source that you need an LPFP? I am tuned by EQT on an IS38 for E85 with just an Autotech HPHP.
Is your EQT tune OTS or custom?
I had a MK7 GTI with IS38 custom tuned by Ed and he stated that an HPFP and LFPF is needed for full E85.

acegp1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Is your EQT tune OTS or custom?
I had a MK7 GTI with IS38 custom tuned by Ed and he stated that an HPFP and LFPF is needed for full E85.
I was part of the development group for the upcoming IS38 GTI OTS files. The car was able to perform well on E30 with the stock HPFP and LPFP and only a HPFP was needed for full E85.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I recall Ed saying himself only an HPFP would be needed but I may be wrong.

So thinking cost here, based upon what projectTV is saying for LPFP and HPFP on IS38.

LPFP: $1000
HPFP: $400
IS38: $1000

So $2400

Vortex: $1800

So $2200. I would just get the Vortex on pump and have more power and pocket some cash.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Uggh this is my deal as well trying to figure out a LPFP fueling solution. So much money just for a LPFP that can handle 500hp on E85. Not usually one to circumvent things, but been looking at DW pumps and just adding HPFP internals with it. That is still 1000 bucks, not counting the 1k I will spend switching tuning platforms so that I have means of doing something with E85 in the first place. I can't justify buying just a IS38 and paying Uni another 800 bucks, just to make another 50hp, it doesn't make sense to me. However if I go for 500, well that is coming to just over 4k. Really on the fence here lol.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I was part of the development group for the upcoming IS38 GTI OTS files. The car was able to perform well on E30 with the stock HPFP and LPFP and only a HPFP was needed for full E85.
Ah, that makes sense. I heard about the new OTS E85 tunes from EQT, but I didn't know they had one available for the GTI with IS38.
IIRC, these EQT OTS E85 tunes have E30 power, but with the convenience of just filling up full E85.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I recall Ed saying himself only an HPFP would be needed but I may be wrong.

So thinking cost here, based upon what projectTV is saying for LPFP and HPFP on IS38.

LPFP: $1000
IS38: $1000

So $2400

Vortex: $1800

So $2200. I would just get the Vortex on pump and have more power and pocket some cash.
I think Ed may have been referring to the OTS E85 tunes they recently developed?

I came to the same conclusion with your calculations, but EQT's boost weather sale got me to go MPI and LPFP.

Uggh this is my deal as well trying to figure out a LPFP fueling solution. So much money just for a LPFP that can handle 500hp on E85. Not usually one to circumvent things, but been looking at DW pumps and just adding HPFP internals with it. That is still 1000 bucks, not counting the 1k I will spend switching tuning platforms so that I have means of doing something with E85 in the first place. I can't justify buying just a IS38 and paying Uni another 800 bucks, just to make another 50hp, it doesn't make sense to me. However if I go for 500, well that is coming to just over 4k. Really on the fence here lol.
Don't do like I did: I went IS38 + HPFP -> Vortex std + HPFP + LFPF -> Vortex XL + MPI + LPFP
I could've saved a lot of money just going straight to my current setup from the beginning.

Buy once, cry once 😁

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
This thread is starting to get some traction =), great... alright so this car is already is38 tuned on e85, a e-35 blend dyno tuned by ed at EQT in his shop,
is38/hpfp/dp/intake/inlet/intercooler/3in dual muffler exhaust on eds dyno it made 402/426

I have grown tired of mixing fuels, It is hot as balls around here for like half the year. 105+ (full e85 will be more consistent in the heat) ,
and i think there is some more power to be had by running full e85. with a retune.

*added note* i will be swapping turbos next year so LPFP will be needed for e85 on a hybrid turbo

I was told by ed that in order to run full e85 for the is38 a LPFP was required, but now there are e30 OTS files from eqt that are running full e85 without a LPFP.
e30 OTS maps may not be as hot as the dyno tune that my car is on, so the oem fueling system may be adequate for e30 on a lower boost request. but I cant see a full e85 map on oem fueling as my oem pump is at 92% duty cycle on e35. < unless again, through lower boost request it may be able to provide enough fueling.

now it makes it even more of a quandary, 5 months ago I was tuned on a blend because of lack of a high flow lpfp and now is38 cars are running full e85 on just pump internals on a high pressure pump?

"from ed

Ed
Hi Cory,

It would be worth it to add the inlet/intake. With a LPFP we could run full E85 and likely pick up a little bit of power. It won’t be drastic, however, as your timing is already approaching MBT. Higher ethanol content will make the car more consistent in hotter weather, however.

car was tuned on the stock inlet and stock TIP, my plan was to add a cut out/intake/inlet and retune for e85 ..< that was the plan anyways. this quote is from ED about that thought process

it boils down to this,
1200 for a fuel pump i need anyways for hybrid turbo when switching to e85
400 for a touch up/retune
potentially pick up some more power on the re-tune with E85

$1600

keep saving:
1800 for new turbo
then re-tune 600

make more power on pump gas with new turbo vs is38 on e85 and not need a fuel pump

$2400

keep the e35 tune dont buy a fuel pump and wait.

1800 turbo
1200 pump
600 tune

3400$

currently its cheaper to go a little bit faster but is costly in the long run because it wont be enough. and ill end up getting tuned on a hybrid turbo anyways. I assume the most frugal of decisions is to wait and go e85 on a hybrid.... instead of chasing 20-30 more hp finishing this is38 set up

well, open to conversation. I am interested in seeing this is38 through, I'd like to fully outgrow what the current set up can do, which is why im trying to play the MIN/MAX game now.. Its never really worth it to mod any car to any extent, but I sure am having fun even at this power level and am enjoying the car, so I guess that is worth alot.

Last edited:

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
This thread is starting to get some traction =), great... alright so this car is already is38 tuned on e85, a e-35 blend dyno tuned by ed at EQT in his shop,
is38/hpfp/dp/intake/inlet/intercooler/3in dual muffler exhaust on eds dyno it made 402/426

I have grown tired of mixing fuels, It is hot as balls around here for like half the year. 105+ (full e85 will be more consistent in the heat) ,
and i think there is some more power to be had by running full e85. with a retune.

*added note* i will be swapping turbos next year so LPFP will be needed for e85 on a hybrid turbo

I was told by ed that in order to run full e85 for the is38 a LPFP was required, but now there are e30 OTS files from eqt that are running full e85 without a LPFP.
e30 OTS maps may not be as hot as the dyno tune that my car is on, so the oem fueling system may be adequate for e30 on a lower boost request. but I cant see a full e85 map on oem fueling as my oem pump is at 92% duty cycle on e35. < unless again, through lower boost request it may be able to provide enough fueling.

now it makes it even more of a quandary, 5 months ago I was tuned on a blend because of lack of a high flow lpfp and now is38 cars are running full e85 on just pump internals on a high pressure pump?

"from ed

Ed
Hi Cory,

It would be worth it to add the inlet/intake. With a LPFP we could run full E85 and likely pick up a little bit of power. It won’t be drastic, however, as your timing is already approaching MBT. Higher ethanol content will make the car more consistent in hotter weather, however.

car was tuned on the stock inlet and stock TIP, my plan was to add a cut out/intake/inlet and retune for e85 ..< that was the plan anyways. this quote is from ED about that thought process

it boils down to this,
1200 for a fuel pump i need anyways for hybrid turbo when switching to e85
400 for a touch up/retune
potentially pick up some more power on the re-tune with E85

$1600

keep saving:
1800 for new turbo
then re-tune 600

make more power on pump gas with new turbo vs is38 on e85 and not need a fuel pump

$2400

keep the e35 tune dont buy a fuel pump and wait.

1800 turbo
1200 pump
600 tune

3400$

currently its cheaper to go a little bit faster but is costly in the long run because it wont be enough. and ill end up getting tuned on a hybrid turbo anyways. I assume the most frugal of decisions is to wait and go e85 on a hybrid.... instead of chasing 20-30 more hp finishing this is38 set up

well, open to conversation. I am interested in seeing this is38 through, I'd like to fully outgrow what the current set up can do, which is why im trying to play the MIN/MAX game now.. Its never really worth it to mod any car to any extent, but I sure am having fun even at this power level and am enjoying the car, so I guess that is worth alot.
I've been down this road as well and IMO, I would wait until you have the funds to go hybrid turbo, MPI, and LPFP.
The money you'll be saving by not having to tune your car multiple times can be put towards your future setup.

Your other option would be to wait until EQT releases their OTS E85 tune for GTI IS38 cars if they haven't already?

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
I've been down this road as well and IMO, I would wait until you have the funds to go hybrid turbo, MPI, and LPFP.
The money you'll be saving by not having to tune your car multiple times can be put towards your future setup.

Your other option would be to wait until EQT releases their OTS E85 tune for GTI IS38 cars if they haven't already?
i just spoke with jessie @ eqt and said those tunes are not out yet, but their e85 tunes require hpfp/lpfp and e30 OTS hpfp.

I'm pretty dead set in chasing the end of this is38 set up as it I just installed in may of this year and there may be more left with a fueling change, I do hope im not throwing good money over bad, but i find the car pretty damn fun as it is, and if I can net just a little extra and gain some repeatability in the heat, plus not have to mix my fuels, In my eyes, its worth the 500 spent to get it re-tuned . the pump is a necessity of the next step anyways. might as well utilize it on the is38 and get it re-tuned to keep me hopefully satisfied. If i know that i have reached the end of this stage of the project, I may think of other things while i drift off to sleep instead. =)

thank you guys for all your input, I don't want to close this thread, as it is growing to be useful for information.