GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A video of the new Golf R.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Pictures of the new R from all over - Autoblog

These are the best pictures I have seen in detail. With the "Alcantara" styling on the door cards and seats, I am now almost sold(other factors too). This is a huge upgrade from the previous years.
I'd be shocked if we get those seats. We'll get "leather" just like all of the R32's and previous R's. Sad, that interior looks a lot better than the black dungeon that we'll get. This is from the CA site (https://www.vw.ca/en/models/new-vehicles/golf-r.html):

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
As much as I'm really enthused about the Mk8 R getting more power, a better AWD system, and other mechanical advancements, I just can't find that same enthusiasm for the whole car. And most of that tepidness comes from the interior. VW is just playing "follow the leader" there. Some people enjoy riding in cars; for them, big infotainment screens are there for entertainment. But for people who enjoy driving cars, what you need on a dashboard are just a few key gauges in plain sight, key controls that are easy and quick to adjust, and perhaps some peripheral features--but they are just that, peripheral.

Up through the Mk7, the R's interior said that this car was intended to be driven, with a big speedo and tach right in front of the driver. The Mk7.5 started to get away from this with its configurable digital gauges/map display taking center stage, but at least the HVAC controls stayed easy-to-reach buttons and knobs; and, if you wished, you could still keep what was in front of the driver all business. But the Mk8 interior just screams "relax, take it easy, just enjoy the ride." Part of that comes from the two big flat panel displays which make up the driver's side of the dash. And, as noted in umpteen reviews of the Mk8, doing whatever functions that were previously achieved with a simple press of a button or twist of a knob, now require navigating a series of sub-directories to move a haptic slider--not something you can do while driving, at least driving seriously. And exactly how big do we need our GPS maps to be? Outside of marketting purposes (ours is bigger than theirs), they only need to be big enough that one can quickly glance at to get a sense of when to turn left or right. BTW, increasing the graphics detail only slows that down. But if those big slabs of Gorilla Glass weren't a strong enough statement against pure driving pleasure, one only needs to look down and see what's left of the DSG selector. It just screams "don't touch me too hard, or often!" I know this is a lot of b*tching about the interior, but that's where we all interface with the machine. Does it draw you in and say "OK buddy, let's have some fun," or not? To me, the interior of the upcoming R just doesn't say that any more than jumping in a Buick (pick your model) does.

I'm attaching a photo of the dashboard of the newly redesigned 2022 Suzuki Hayabusa. Instead of playing follow-the-leader and opting for a full electronic display on its dash, Suzuki kept things old school with just a few key analog gauges, supplemented by a small digital display between the speedo and tach (sound familiar?). I haven't read a single review of the bike where the dash wasn't praised for its simple functionality. On a bike that can push past 180, you sort of want functionality. Then again, the 'Busa never was intended to just go cruising, sort of like the R.

2022-Suzuki-Hayabusa-First-Look-superbike-hyperbike-motorcycle-38.jpg

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If they hadn't screwed up the interior controls, I'd be tempted if just for the new dif. But as a DD... Yeah, those are going to be infuriating. Let's see if they stick around for the refresh.

If it was the rumored 400hp hybrid I'd be all in though. I can't see my next DD car not being either phev or ev. And as a fun/weekend car, there's way better options coming out at the same or lower price point (Z, gr86 especially once the higher performance versions come out, etc.)

Maybe they can release an ID3R that's stupid fast and fun with a RWD bias... Now THAT would be tempting.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I think I’m the only asshat who thinks they’re pretty sweet, lol. I steer at the bottom of the wheel so my hands are rarely at the 10/2 position or that God awful 1 hand on top thing. So hoping my fingers don’t slip too much.

I can see it being tough in the beginning to navigate but over the course of a couple weeks it’ll be fine.

I am happy and impressed to see the development of the AWD system because I feel that it really helped this car get closer to its full potential with only being around the 300hp mark. If I end up with one I would absolutely tune it like I always do but this one impresses me out of the box.

NOW, with all these words….if I drive it and I hate it…oh well 🤷‍♂️

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I steer at the bottom of the wheel so my hands are rarely at the 10/2 position or that God awful 1 hand on top thing. So hoping my fingers don’t slip too much.

10/2 is old teaching. 3/9 is and always has been superior (see: every racecar driver). Bottom of the steering wheel is asking for an accident, you're massively limited in steering angle input and speed before you get crossed up. It also puts your shoulders at really bad angles should you have an accident because you're limited on your steering input!

My guess is you have the steering wheel way too far from you and too high which makes this seem more comfortable.

Bad habits die hard but this one is really, REALLY worth killing.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
10/2 is old teaching. 3/9 is and always has been superior (see: every racecar driver). Bottom of the steering wheel is asking for an accident, you're massively limited in steering angle input and speed before you get crossed up. It also puts your shoulders at really bad angles should you have an accident because you're limited on your steering input!

My guess is you have the steering wheel way too far from you and too high which makes this seem more comfortable.

Bad habits die hard but this one is really, REALLY worth killing.
Always happy to try something different here, thank you! Totally makes sense what you are saying and for sure have been driving like this for years.

Now if you made this style of critique on my culinary skills….then we would be fighting 😂😂😂👍