GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A Track Rat's Build Thread

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I finally made some time to route the ducting from the front to the brakes, and it is quite tight. I'm just going to pretend the hose can tolerate some movement and hope for the best... On a side note, owning this car, you really learn to remove and reinstall the bumper. I'm pretty sure I could set a record for on/off after all this practice!
20200824_184242.jpg
20200823_182644.jpg
20200824_184232.jpg
20200823_182712.jpg
20200824_184307.jpg
20200823_182705.jpg
20200824_184256.jpg
20200823_182649.jpg
20200824_184329.jpg
20200824_184351.jpg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I spent a lot of time routing hosing and got everything fitted, then a racecar popped up for sale and now my gti has become solely a street car.

Ironically, the tires are more expensive but brakes significantly cheaper on the new car, and as a result it will actually be cheaper to operate long term versus my goals with the gti.

Specs of the new car:
320 whp
~2850 lbs
6spd with synchrorev
Stock akebono 4pot/2pot w/ two piece rotors and ducting
Billet baffled oil pan
Surge fuel pump
Roll cage + fixed seats + harnesses
Custom kwv3 + swift springs at 14k/10k
Giant gooseneck carbon wing
Either 295/30/19 Hoosier square or 295/315 for stagger fit
New control arms all around
Tons of spare parts
IMG_20201009_152910_01.jpg
IMG_20201009_152850_01.jpg
IMG_20201009_152828_01.jpg
IMG_20201009_152750_01.jpg
PXL_20201008_123720785.MP.jpg
123_1 (15).jpeg
123_1 (12).jpeg

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I'm interested in the new 370z lol how much?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm interested in the new 370z lol how much?
LOL, the photos with the for sale sign were at the previous owner's house :p. I'm just too lazy to clean it up and take new ones. The livery and sponsors will all be getting a redo over the winter :).

I'm trying to find new wheels/hubs for it now so I can use a quick release and actually get out through the window when on the trailer...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Heh I'm going through the same frustrations right now trying to route hoses on my mk6 track car. I'm using 3" hose which may have been a mistake. Could you take pics of your backing plate? I made some myself but they aren't pretty and have nothing to compare to as I don't see many people doing this on gti's.

20200930_172915.jpg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Heh I'm going through the same frustrations right now trying to route hoses on my mk6 track car. I'm using 3" hose which may have been a mistake. Could you take pics of your backing plate? I made some myself but they aren't pretty and have nothing to compare to as I don't see many people doing this on gti's.
You're right, to my knowledge no one has done proper ducting on an mk7. The size of everything in that area and the electronic bits limits the size of the hosing. I went 2.5" and had to really squish it in areas. I don't think 3" will buy more air volume just because of the squish, and I think a 2" would have been a better choice...

20200726_115223.jpg

This is one of my original photos and note the black line at the top is where I trimmed it down a bit more. The top area is the best place to punch a hole and weld on a pipe. You won't get complete intake porting, but it's more than good enough with some overlap.

I've got both on the car right now and it took a specialty blade to cut cleanly. If you're interested I'm happy to send you everything you'd need to fit this whole setup onto the gti. All you'd have to do is find someone to trim and weld the ss pipe to the backing plates. The only thing I'd ask is to compensate for the parts minus shipping :). That was about 140$ total, so I'm happy to swallow the 20$ shipping cost to see someone actually put it to good use... I spent way too much time and effort doing everything to let it go to waste.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Same concept, my initial deisgn used the entire plate like yours but quickly realized that wasn't going to work with the big brake kit I have. I am now trying to figure out a second mounting point as I can really only get the clearance on one of the bolts to secure it to the spindle. I've got about the same into the parts and material that I'm going to see it through but I appreciate the offer.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Same concept, my initial deisgn used the entire plate like yours but quickly realized that wasn't going to work with the big brake kit I have. I am now trying to figure out a second mounting point as I can really only get the clearance on one of the bolts to secure it to the spindle. I've got about the same into the parts and material that I'm going to see it through but I appreciate the offer.
The BBK would really only change caliper clearance, no? You should still be able to mount the outlet right above the pictured left hole. I planned to have a pipe extending about 6" to mount the tubing over. That gives enough clearance past the wheel and enough through the whole wheel motion.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The BBK would really only change caliper clearance, no? You should still be able to mount the outlet right above the pictured left hole. I planned to have a pipe extending about 6" to mount the tubing over. That gives enough clearance past the wheel and enough through the whole wheel motion.
Naw the caliper isn't what I'm having trouble with, it's the rotor. The threaded inlet that holds the oem dust shield on is so close to the rotor putting a piece of sheet metal and a bolt would cause it to rub.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Naw the caliper isn't what I'm having trouble with, it's the rotor. The threaded inlet that holds the oem dust shield on is so close to the rotor putting a piece of sheet metal and a bolt would cause it to rub.
I gotcha! How much room is there? Could you use a recessing bit and a recessed screw? If not, your other options are to mount a custom pinned setup to the caliper carrier bolts or just mount a fixed pipe to the spindle. While the backing is nice to have to seal, it's just an efficiency improvement thing, not a hard requirement. Most club racers end up just fitting a bracket into hold the hose and don't even bother with the plate. The person who owned my z before me didn't even have the hoses mounted to the front bumper, they're just sitting there behind the bumper and he says it's enough airflow. It probably is due to the "positive" pressure at the front of the car and "negative" pressure at the spinning rotor end...

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I gotcha! How much room is there? Could you use a recessing bit and a recessed screw? If not, your other options are to mount a custom pinned setup to the caliper carrier bolts or just mount a fixed pipe to the spindle. While the backing is nice to have to seal, it's just an efficiency improvement thing, not a hard requirement. Most club racers end up just fitting a bracket into hold the hose and don't even bother with the plate. The person who owned my z before me didn't even have the hoses mounted to the front bumper, they're just sitting there behind the bumper and he says it's enough airflow. It probably is due to the "positive" pressure at the front of the car and "negative" pressure at the spinning rotor end...
I have toyed with that, I think I'll either end up ditching the plate like you said or perhaps drilling out the spindle and then tapping it from the inside of the wheel well vs the outside

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I have toyed with that, I think I'll either end up ditching the plate like you said or perhaps drilling out the spindle and then tapping it from the inside of the wheel well vs the outside
Let me know how it goes! It's unfortunate the clearance is so tight, and it can't be good for the sensors living in that area.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Let me know how it goes! It's unfortunate the clearance is so tight, and it can't be good for the sensors living in that area.
The only sensor there is wheel speed and thats closer to the hub so shouldn't really be impacted too much. I disabled the brake pad wear sensors when I put the bbk on

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The only sensor there is wheel speed and thats closer to the hub so shouldn't really be impacted too much. I disabled the brake pad wear sensors when I put the bbk on
I have dcc and lp so I have a few other things there related to those. My wheel speed sensor melted long ago... Still works, just looks like a little child had too much fun with a lighter.