GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A Tale of Three Rabbits

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Since I am new here, I thought I’d share a little about my cars and post a few pics.

My VW journey started with a ‘13 GTI DSG that I purchased in 2015 completely stock with 47,000 kms. I instantly fell in love with the car, and was even more impressed by how much a downpipe & tune transformed its performance.

Five years and a lot of miles later, it was time to sell the MK6. As I started looking in the MK7 market, I found the 2019 GTI Rabbit really interesting. Being in Canada means that Rabbits are spec’d with all of the goodies I was looking for: Performance Pack, LSD, Golf R brakes, DCC, Fender audio, 8” infotainment, LED adaptive headlights, and only 272 units in Cornflower Blue allocated north of the border. I was sold.

I was lucky enough to find a low-mileage lease takeover that I quickly jumped on. With the used car market heating up over the last year, I ended up being able to buy out that lease early after 50k of driving, and trade the car for great money. Interestingly, I happened to find the exact same car (another Canadian-spec 2019 GTI Rabbit in Cornflower Blue) with only 12k that I was able to purchase and go backwards in mileage considerably; It was a no-brainer.

Below are my MK6, Rabbit One (clear windows), and Rabbit Two (tinted windows). I just added wheels & suspension which I posted about in the technical forum — H&R OE Sport springs & 18 x 8.5 Neuspeed RSe10s.

I am loving the car, and looking forward to more mods and great driving roads! 🌲

Attachments

• E23021BA-E4DF-4460-800F-4879B13FB0C2.jpeg
    E23021BA-E4DF-4460-800F-4879B13FB0C2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • 536F8259-8080-4639-B902-5CCB546886CF.jpeg
    536F8259-8080-4639-B902-5CCB546886CF.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 278
  • C755B430-F35F-4B62-8936-05D885AAEA0B.jpeg
    C755B430-F35F-4B62-8936-05D885AAEA0B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 259

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Beautiful cars, beautiful CFB color! Curious, what track is in the background of the Mk6?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
For those who may be interested in the Integrated Engineering V2 intercooler, I have attached some pics of the install in Rabbit One.

I was most impressed with the build quality and perfect fitment of this massive core in the factory location. The car performed noticeably better, especially on hot days, with consistent power and less heat soak.

I would highly recommend the IE V2 intercooler if you are looking for a premium product that is really well made with performance to match.

I have also included a picture of the stock intercooler for reference. The difference in the IC sizes & construction is incredible.

Attachments

• FB600CB0-FE29-4396-ADD4-9868E28577EF.jpeg
    FB600CB0-FE29-4396-ADD4-9868E28577EF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 216
  • 335DB276-10D0-4C22-86DF-279BB817B368.jpeg
    335DB276-10D0-4C22-86DF-279BB817B368.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 220
  • 74B2AFD2-CBD6-473C-915D-074B55C5B750.jpeg
    74B2AFD2-CBD6-473C-915D-074B55C5B750.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 211

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Great photos! The IE V2 looks pretty legit. I ended up going with the Unitronic stock location IC. Glad you had a good experience with the fit and performance of the IE V2. Sounds similar to me. I can't imagine going with a lesser quality IC and fighting the fitment. This DIY'er will gladly pay a little extra for less "fighting" during install.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
One last adventure for Rabbit Two before heading to a new home!

I take delivery of my fourth Golf on Monday, and happy to report that I have finally made the move to a beautiful low-mileage 7.5R!

I will miss the Cornflower Blue colour and the playful nature of the GTI, but I am definitely excited for my first Golf R!
A77654BA-FE3D-4759-A4F9-2FB77FD190A7.jpeg

Last edited:

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
After spending some time tonight in the R, wow, what a car!

I spent about 90 minutes highway driving, and another 90 minutes in town and on some great backroads that I am familiar with.

In comparing the MK7.5 GTI Rabbit to the 7.5R, I thought I’d make note of some initial driving impressions while the comparison is fresh in mind. Both cars are 2019, 7-speed DSG, and on the same tires & wheels (18 x 8.5 Neuspeed RSe10 w/ Michelin Pilot AS4 235/40/18).

The first thing I noticed about the R is more weight in the steering and what can only be described as a more solid feel overall. What is traded in the lighter, more playful feeling of the GTI, is gained in a very planted feeling R.

On the highway, the R feels incredibly stable and the extra power is nice for on-ramps and passing. Neither the GTI or R are tuned, so the comparison is stock vs. stock.

On the backroads, the GTI shines in tight corners, through twists, and 2nd-3rd gear sections. The R stays composed, ironing out the road in a way that to me feels more Audi Quattro than Golf; Traction never an issue. Suspension-wise, the GTI is on H&R OE Sport springs with the DCC recalibration done. Ride quality & handling feel really good. Comparatively, the R on factory springs w/ DCC sits only slightly higher than the lowered GTI (~10mm), with the overall suspension feel similar in both cars. Where I felt the GTI needed to be lowered to stiffen it up and narrow the fender gap, the R on stock suspension is nicely dialled in for the street. If anything, a bigger rear sway bar will be my only suspension mod to neutral out factory understeer. Otherwise, the R feels plenty competent for a daily driver and sits at a ride height that both looks good and will remain functional through snowy Canadian winters, as well.

In terms of factory DSG mapping and throttle response, the R feels sharper and more engaged. Both of my MK7.5 GTIs felt like a more aggressive DSG map would have improved the overall driving experience. I found them overly smooth at times, to a point where it felt like too much clutch drag, even in Sport mode. The R on the other hand, feels crisp in Race mode, and more engaged in Normal and Comfort simply driving around town. It also makes some awesome noises thanks to a CTS Turbo resonator delete.

In reflecting on my first proper drive in the R, and many, many miles in my previous GTIs, each car is certainly unique in its own right. I love that there is some DNA shared between the two, and I also love the differences between them. GTIs are loads of fun, and the R is a different beast — One that I look forward to keeping long-term and enjoying many more good miles in. 😎

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Thanks for sharing your experience with both the GTI and the R. I had my heart set on getting an R back in 2019, but none of the dealers I went to would let me test drive one and all had a markup over MSRP. Also super jealous that the Canadian Rabbit gets all of the goodies. I really wanted Urano grey, but I also wanted DCC and nicer infotainment screen. Ended up with a black SE instead.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I was surprised at the difference in steering feel between the GTI and R as well. As far as I'm aware, they use the same steering racks, so I can only assume the difference comes down to EPS programming.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Following an unexpected turn of events, my Golf R purchase has been canceled and my beloved ‘Rabbit Two’ GTI is back in the driveway.

Rather than get into specifics, suffice to say the dealer did an outstanding job in working through some issues that came up post-delivery. I will definitely return for a future purchase but for now, I will keep this thread focused on the cars and the different driving experiences they each offer; GTI vs. R.

As much as the R is an awesome car, I must admit that I am thrilled to have my GTI back. In driving some of my favourite backroads today, the sharper handling characteristics of the GTI are undeniable. The R is fast, nicely appointed, and of course, AWD. The GTI is lighter, sharper, and more responsive. It is also slower 0-60, 1/4 mile, and less powerful. Still, I can unequivocally say that my GTI is simply more fun to drive.

I had good reason to buy the R, and there is no denying that AWD is a benefit in snow, but for as many snow days as we get here in Southern ON, a GTI with good snow tires will usually get you around. Aside from that, I also realized through this last week of living with the R, that 300hp is more than enough for a daily driver (and also easily attainable in a GTI).

It was a long time goal of mine to own an R and I am happy that I was able to finally tick that box - even if for only a week. I do, however, want to offer a fair assessment of what is gained and what is lost between the two cars. There are plenty of reviews out there to help answer whether the R is worth the extra money. To some it is, and to others a GTI is the right car. If there is one thing this whole experience has taught me, it is that the GTI is the right car for me.

I will be continuing on with my OEM+ build of the Rabbit and adding an IE V2 intercooler, TVS Engineering Stage II+ DSG map, and an APR Stage 1 ECU tune (320hp). I want to put together a balanced package that is like a factory car, but better. Tires, wheels, and suspension are done (other than a rear sway bar, which is next). Overall, the focus of this build is to create a GTI that handles well, has plenty of power, and is just plain fun to drive. I am excited to see how it all comes together, now that I truly appreciate the GTI for what it is.
DD439F41-1922-4F71-9698-78648A7BD03C.jpeg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Wow, what a whirlwind lol. It is interesting to see what makes or breaks it for others, I’ve owned 2 Jetta’s, 3 GTIs, and now an Alltrack and can unequivocally say that I like my Alltrack with its 210AWHP/250AWTQ (APR 87 tune) on stock suspension w/ RSB and wheels/tires more than I liked my last two 6MT and DSG GTIs, both of which were tuned Stage 1 (~300WHP/320WTQ).

I am beyond excited to throw the Golf R 6MT (shorter gearing), Wavetrack, Golf R Springs + B6’s, and IS20/IC/CAI on in a few years and turn my fun little German adventure car into an equally sporty R-Track