GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A review of the Mk.8 Golf.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
In the UK the base MK8 Golf starts at £23,300...& that gets you a 1lt TSI with 110PS, 6 speed manual gearbox & 5 doors...& sat nav pro with voice control, ACC, keyless, 10 colour interior lighting, LED headlights,..loads of standard kit...

EDIT, the options list contradicts the basic spec list...typical VWUK....so maybe you only get a basic headlights & standard key..

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/new-golf.html#MOFA

I "built" a Golf 8 Lifestyle version with some 18's and a few random options including the IQ headlights. It came out to 35,427 USD.

A lot of people here in the States complain that we don't get the UK/European variants of the Golf and GTI's. If they are anywhere near the prices across the Atlantic...not sure how many would actually buy them at those prices. The GTI Clubsport (especially the S) and the TCR would both cost more than the Golf R. One option I really want is from the Clubsport...the Recaro seats.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Chogokin, you're right. I'm of those who complains when we don't get the versions of the Golf and GTI available in the UK & Germany. But that's always been the case. The Mk1 GTI was first available in Germany in 1976. Our version of the GTI first became available in 1983 -- seven years later! -- and even then it was 20-hp shy of the European version (90-hp vs. 110). That additional horsepower made a huge difference in how the car performed. So, yes, I was and remain one of those who complain about what we don't get.

But, with regard to your point concerning the cost difference of the EU versions, a significant factor that accounts for much of the additional cost the Brits and Germans are paying these days is value added tax (VAT). Subtract that and the cost of the cars isn't much different. You are correct, however, that the TCR would likely be more expensive than an R. That's inevitable with a limited production model. But it would also be lighter, and just as the current GTI feels more nimble than the R, it's likely the TCR would feel similar to the GTI and benefit significantly from less weight and considerably more horsepower. That works for me. That's certainly why VW AG chose a FWD (and manual transmission) Clubsport S for its 2016 record run on the Nurburgring.

I have a lot of enthusiasm for the brand, so I'm up for the additional expense of a TCR. But do I think we'll get them? No. The past is prologue. DOT & EPA certification of a limited edition model would be hideously expensive, and there's zero possibility the TCR will ever become a regular production model. Even certification of the Recaro seats would be prohibitive. I know that. Still, hope springs eternal. I suggested as much to Herr Hein Schafer, Senior VP Product & Strategy, VoA. No response.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
They needed to for R@D of the digital HVAC controls.

That's correct.
They traded one for the other.
Bad trade as far as I'm concerned.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I don't even like the tablet. They look like an add on in any car that uses that style. Plus the sun hits them directly.
Well i think in the 7/7.5 the center location is too low and a bit higher up would be better for safety reasons. I don't condone driving and looking at a tablet and one could say having it right there could be more of a distraction, but i think it being there is easier to have both the road and the tablet in 1 view so you can quickly change something if you need too or peep directions ect.

A-A-Ron

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack S 6MT
One of the reasons I bought my Mk 7 is it was one of the few cars left with a 6MT and an interior not dominated by screens and digital everything.

It is rather unavoidable, but physical buttons and switches are less distracting and much better for feedback. I want the furthest thing from a Tesla dash I can get :sick:

That said, I do appreciate that all Mk 8 Golfs we get will be made in Wolfsburg...

Maybe in a few years after they work out the kinks I'll reconsider.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
This fellow has been posting Golf GTI & R videos of all sorts on the Internet for years. Always the same format: musical intro, walk-around of the cars' exterior and interior, and a ride-along. For example, here's one comparing a GTI Performance with a Clubsport S:
You can fault him for belaboring various aspects of the V-Dubs he reviews, but if you are British and a potential buyer who's been searching for a GTI Performance, a Clubsport or a TCR, and you don't speak German, or you can't get your hands on one, his videos are the next best thing.

Thomas and Autogefuhl is excellent too

I "built" a Golf 8 Lifestyle version with some 18's and a few random options including the IQ headlights. It came out to 35,427 USD.

A lot of people here in the States complain that we don't get the UK/European variants of the Golf and GTI's. If they are anywhere near the prices across the Atlantic...not sure how many would actually buy them at those prices. The GTI Clubsport (especially the S) and the TCR would both cost more than the Golf R. One option I really want is from the Clubsport...the Recaro seats.

You realize Golfs cost that much in Europe and UK due to taxes, and that's generally how much cars cost in general? They're luxury items over there, not like in North America. Other compacts cost a similar amount.

2020 GTI Autobahn DSG with DAP is $40k CAD + taxes, while in USA it is $38k + taxes. This makes the GTI significantly cheaper up here than in USA.