GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A rattle for the ages...

Wdw92

Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTD
Hi all

First off, apologies. I hoped this would be a solution to, rather than 'help' post considering the time I've spent on the issue.

I have a buzz/ vibration coming from the region of the driver's door/ around the steering wheel area (UK). '19 GTD

Audio clip here, taken accelerating out of a junction:
https://youtube.com/shorts/jcB7RoSXIF4?feature=share

After trawling the forums I have tried all the easy fixes that have been suggested:

Sunvisor/ trim around rear view mirror/ foam pads in trim gaps/ remove small door on the side of dash and poke around steering column & top of pedals/ Krytox door seals and felts/ push pull and prod everything within reach/ set soundaktor to eco/ feel if fuel line plastic cover is lose on top of wheel arch/ seatbelt on B pillar/ seat rails.

Then I went to the dealers, who agreed they could hear something. They said it was the engine mounts required tightening and all was now fixed... It definitely wasn't as the noise is still present. 3 additional visits to the dealers later and they can no longer hear the noise apparently (shocker).

The 'buzz', which sounds like plastic or metal vibrating against each other, presents itself once the car is warm (not in the first 5/10 mins of a cold morning). The warmer the ambient temperature, the more audible the buzz it seems. Heard when under hard acceleration and sometimes over rough road surfaces. Which leads me to think something is expanding with heat... accelerating with the door slightly open seems to stop the noise (or the wind noise is drowning it out)

So I'm putting this post here on the off chance something sounds familiar to one of you! Before I got to the dealers for the 5th time...

Cheers

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Hi all

First off, apologies. I hoped this would be a solution to, rather than 'help' post considering the time I've spent on the issue.

I have a buzz/ vibration coming from the region of the driver's door/ around the steering wheel area (UK). '19 GTD

Audio clip here, taken accelerating out of a junction:
https://youtube.com/shorts/jcB7RoSXIF4?feature=share

After trawling the forums I have tried all the easy fixes that have been suggested:

Sunvisor/ trim around rear view mirror/ foam pads in trim gaps/ remove small door on the side of dash and poke around steering column & top of pedals/ Krytox door seals and felts/ push pull and prod everything within reach/ set soundaktor to eco/ feel if fuel line plastic cover is lose on top of wheel arch/ seatbelt on B pillar/ seat rails.

Then I went to the dealers, who agreed they could hear something. They said it was the engine mounts required tightening and all was now fixed... It definitely wasn't as the noise is still present. 3 additional visits to the dealers later and they can no longer hear the noise apparently (shocker).

The 'buzz', which sounds like plastic or metal vibrating against each other, presents itself once the car is warm (not in the first 5/10 mins of a cold morning). The warmer the ambient temperature, the more audible the buzz it seems. Heard when under hard acceleration and sometimes over rough road surfaces. Which leads me to think something is expanding with heat... accelerating with the door slightly open seems to stop the noise (or the wind noise is drowning it out)

So I'm putting this post here on the off chance something sounds familiar to one of you! Before I got to the dealers for the 5th time...

Cheers
LOL...hope they find it! Chasing rattles in a VW is a full time job. As soon as you fix one, another one will rear its head. I have had some go away to only come back later. I know it has to be frustrating for the dealers that have to deal with trying to diagnose and fix them. I don't even bother anymore. The only one that was very annoying, I fixed myself and remarkably it has never returned. The ones that replaced it are less annoying, so I just live with them as being part of the VW's charm. :) Mine was a $28,000 car...I did not expect the refinement of a Bentley.

Wdw92

Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTD
FIXED!

I spent my journey home from work last week prodding and pressing everything in the driver's footwell area. I will post pictures soon, but the culprit was two pieces of trim that required felt (or my fingers in the first instance) pushing in the gap between them to stop the rattle.

The trim pieces are located above where your shins would be if your feet are on the pedals, the gap runs from left to right. Pictures will explain. I used felt disc pads with sticky backs, so you can stick a few together to get the correct width to fill the gap.

Pretty sure the dealers would never have found this, it has taken me a few months and isn't one of the many documented rattles mentioned on the forums.

Ciderman

Car(s)
Golf gtd mk 7.5
FIXED!

I spent my journey home from work last week prodding and pressing everything in the driver's footwell area. I will post pictures soon, but the culprit was two pieces of trim that required felt (or my fingers in the first instance) pushing in the gap between them to stop the rattle.

The trim pieces are located above where your shins would be if your feet are on the pedals, the gap runs from left to right. Pictures will explain. I used felt disc pads with sticky backs, so you can stick a few together to get the correct width to fill the gap.

Pretty sure the dealers would never have found this, it has taken me a few months and isn't one of the many documented rattles mentioned on the forums.
Hi mate,
I too have the same issue.
Please could you send me some pics of the trim pieces you are talking about.
Regards Wayne.