GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A-pillar rattle/buzz... Finally fixed!

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I got back in there today and gave it the full tape over.
No fix on the buzz. Starting to wonder if its in my door.

Losing hope of a buzz free GTI :(

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Haha ya good luck with that.

Does it still occur when you have the windows slightly cracked open?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

In 3/3 of my MK7 cars, the a-pillar buzz was definitively stopped by my fix and could by identified by placing my hand directly onto the tweeter area and applying pressure so that the pillar could not vibrate at certain RPM. If you can't do the hand test (you'll need someone else in the car because it's not easy to hear both sides) and eliminate the buzz, I'm afraid the a-pillar isn't your issue.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
In 3/3 of my MK7 cars, the a-pillar buzz was definitively stopped by my fix and could by identified by placing my hand directly onto the tweeter area and applying pressure so that the pillar could not vibrate at certain RPM. If you can't do the hand test (you'll need someone else in the car because it's not easy to hear both sides) and eliminate the buzz, I'm afraid the a-pillar isn't your issue.

I found the problem after taking apart my A-pillar twice. It was the little slide down flap inside the center arm rest.
I ripped that little plastic door out and I think I fixed my problems.

I swear it was coming from the A-pillar tweeter area. Thanks for the help!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h2sAiQxrgs

Im very late to this thread haha. But ive started to notice the same sound in my 2015 TDI... Not fuel lines (dont have em), so i think its the A-Pillar.. I notice the sound more from the passenger side, like the video. But i noticed you removed drivers side A-Pillar.

Which side should i be removing?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Im very late to this thread haha. But ive started to notice the same sound in my 2015 TDI... Not fuel lines (dont have em), so i think its the A-Pillar.. I notice the sound more from the passenger side, like the video. But i noticed you removed drivers side A-Pillar.

Which side should i be removing?
I did them both. They both rattled in our 2015, 2016 golfs and in my 2017 GTI.

Our 2019 Alltrack thankfully does not seem to rattle.

RaduC93

Car(s)
MK7 GTI PP
If anyone comes across this thread, goes along with the procedures and still ends up facing the issue, I just came back from the shop and it turned out to be the driver knee airbag mount located under the steering column.
I was 100% sure it was coming from the a-pillar, but it turns out those made in germany have a lot of additional adhesive between the pillar trim and the frame.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I have the A-Pillar buzz, but it's heard only on certain road surfaces that set up some sort of resonance. If I place some business cards between the pillar and the dash like as seen in the photo, it greatly reduces the buzz. Not sure why, but it seems to work. Only problem is that it looks bad. Knowing my lack of skills, if I tried to access the inside of the pillar for a fix, I'd break every part inside it and more.

VW Golf GTI Rattle Buzz Reducer.jpg

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have the A-Pillar buzz, but it's heard only on certain road surfaces that set up some sort of resonance. If I place some business cards between the pillar and the dash like as seen in the photo, it greatly reduces the buzz. Not sure why, but it seems to work. Only problem is that it looks bad. Knowing my lack of skills, if I tried to access the inside of the pillar for a fix, I'd break every part inside it and more.

View attachment 248360
Go to a craft store and get some black or dark gray felt and use that instead. Fold up a thinner piece and wedge it in there so it blends in better.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Go to a craft store and get some black or dark gray felt and use that instead. Fold up a thinner piece and wedge it in there so it blends in better.

That may be worth a shot - a good idea. I wish there was a way to pull it down into place, but even with the end-of-dash panel removed, there's just no way to get my hand or anything else in there.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
The thread image gallery link is down. :(

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Looking at the OP's photos and wanting to simplify this work if possible, I wonder if it's necessary to remove the entire component that holds the circular clip that buzzes? Once the clip is exposed as in the photo, can the Tesa tape be applied to the circular clip area leaving all else in place?

This looks like an awful job and I'm just looking at ways to make it easier. This work is likely beyond my skill level, but I'd sure like to put an end to the buzzing. Inserting a business card into the gap as shown above helps diminish the buzz, but it's still there on some road surfaces.

1658503300746.png

SecondGolf

Car(s)
2015 Golf
I have been unwilling to remove the A-pillar trim to chase a rattle. I'd heard it was a pain in the ass, and it was a bit, but I caved. As nice and helpful as they usually are, my dealer is explicit that they have to be able to verify the rattle before they're going to go chasing it. For me, this rattle/buzz was intermittent and very frustrating.

Here's a video of the rattle/buzz, I shot this in my Golf before I got my GTI, yes, both cars have experienced the same issue, as does my wife's MK7 Golf though not as badly.

Here's a gallery of how I fixed it. Pardon the sloppy markup, I did everything on my phone.

Hope this can be a help to someone out there. This buzz drove me nuts.
Mate, I made an account just so I can thank you. I've been trying to take off the a-pillar trim to run down my dashcam power cable but just couldn't do it. I figured I might be able to slide the clip but I guess I wasn't pushing hard enough. There's a prominent youtube video that shows the process and the guy really just rips off the trim without breaking the clip...I kept trying and trying but whenever I looked at photos of the clips and how the trim holds onto it I couldn't figure out how he was able to pull it off without breaking anything.

So, yeah. THANK YOU for your instruction and images; this is my first time tearing-up a car and it gave me the confidence to push harder on the clips and whaddya know, they slid out!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you also for posting the part number later in the thread. I gotta order some because I'll probably replace the power cable with a hardwire kit and I don't know how much plier force the clips can handle.... 🤣