GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

a few thoughts...

lawrie1

Ready to race!
Just driven 2000 miles in France and come to a few conclusions:

ACC: indispensable. As soon as I trusted it it made long drives effortless

Lane change assist: Switched it off. The motorways were so quiet that it kept reminding me to take control. I had control, but there was nothing to do.

DSG: again brilliant, cannot believe I have had manuals for years.

The thingy that keeps flashing red, braking when it thinks something in front: Really annoying and scary at times. It reacted to phantoms. I almost switched it off but left it on as I thought it might be a lifesaver. A Mister Whippy van came out of a slip road wildly, cut in front of a car I was overtaking... the thingy saved my bacon :)

Seats comfortable after one stretch of 7 hours in the car.

Petrol consumption poor :( (heavy right foot, however)

Pearl black and pleased with the choice. Had it prepped by a detailer (ceramishield) and it looks fine after the trip.

Love it

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Just driven 2000 miles in France and come to a few conclusions:

ACC: indispensable. As soon as I trusted it it made long drives effortless

Lane change assist: Switched it off. The motorways were so quiet that it kept reminding me to take control. I had control, but there was nothing to do.

DSG: again brilliant, cannot believe I have had manuals for years.

The thingy that keeps flashing red, braking when it thinks something in front: Really annoying and scary at times. It reacted to phantoms. I almost switched it off but left it on as I thought it might be a lifesaver. A Mister Whippy van came out of a slip road wildly, cut in front of a car I was overtaking... the thingy saved my bacon :)

Seats comfortable after one stretch of 7 hours in the car.

Petrol consumption poor :( (heavy right foot, however)

Pearl black and pleased with the choice. Had it prepped by a detailer (ceramishield) and it looks fine after the trip.

Love it

Pleased to hear your enjoying your car..

Having had DSG, which is so versatile, I don't think I would ever go back to manual cars.

Good to see on the forum more Mk7's being delivered now as I found it was like looking for needle in a haystack to see that many on my travels.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Yeah, I too have started seeing loads more on the roads in the last few weeks. And I also agree 100% about having an automatic. Can't see me ever going back to a manual, given the choice! However, i dont think this is VW or Golf Mk7 specific. I suspect most automatics would be cool with me. Although to be fair, the VW DSG is awesome.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
DSG for me too - perfect for my disability, but I think I'd have opted for it anyway - I honestly can't see why manuals are still popular.

JAT

Ready to race!
DSG for me too - perfect for my disability, but I think I'd have opted for it anyway - I honestly can't see why manuals are still popular.

I never considered an automatic gearbox. Now I can't have manual.
The thing I find funny is the folk who won't believe me when tell them about my left foot accelerator. Until I show them. :D:D

tubbs

Passed Driver's Ed
I never considered an automatic gearbox. Now I can't have manual.
The thing I find funny is the folk who won't believe me when tell them about my left foot accelerator. Until I show them. :D:D

I think if I could have afforded the extra monies, I would have gone DSG gearbox. Even with a manual the car pretty much drives itself. The though of only having to steer when pottering about in the city. I bet with the flappy paddles in sports mode, it's great fun too! Always next time...

Stripey

Ready to race!
I think if I could have afforded the extra monies, I would have gone DSG gearbox. Even with a manual the car pretty much drives itself. The though of only having to steer when pottering about in the city. I bet with the flappy paddles in sports mode, it's great fun too! Always next time...

Not quite that straight forward. It wont slow you down automatically for traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts, etc!

I am in the minority of not using the cruise control much. It doesnt suit my style of driving or the roads i normally travel on. It is v good on a long tours of quiet motorway though.

tubbs

Passed Driver's Ed
Not quite that straight forward. It wont slow you down automatically for traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts, etc!

I am in the minority of not using the cruise control much. It doesnt suit my style of driving or the roads i normally travel on. It is v good on a long tours of quiet motorway though.

True, true.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Manual box is/was much better in the gtd I test drove. its also more to tax and worse on mpg's and it holds on to gears far too long. seemed fine on the loaner beetle I had but not good in the gtd.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Did you try the DSG across the various modes?

I love it!

dipth

Ready to race!
Manual box is/was much better in the gtd I test drove. its also more to tax and worse on mpg's and it holds on to gears far too long. seemed fine on the loaner beetle I had but not good in the gtd.

Could it be because it was a 6-speed DSG instead of the 7-speed?

leachmj

Passed Driver's Ed
The revs at which the DSG changes is dependent on the mode setting. I cannot believe that the DSG hang on too long if it is set on economy. Maybe it was set to sport when you did your test drive mcmaddy.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
DSG was tried in all modes. in sport mode it hung on to gears way too long and on the motorway it never got into 6th even at 75mph. in eco mode it was far too lazy and felt like it was dragging a caravan. I just don't think the 6 speed dsg box is suited to the gtd model. as dipth mentioned maybe it's down to it being a different box in the higher powered car and the 7 speed dsg in the other models is just better suited to them.

Doden

Ready to race!
Agree with mcmaddies comments, but that's what 'normal' mode is for. It's useful to have the sport mode available with a tap on the gear lever though, you are back to normal with another tap. When Eco is being lazy, and agree it often is, refusing to drop down from 5th or 6th when it really should be in a lower gear, then a flick of the paddle and job done.
DSG is terrific and combined with ACC the guy in front is often driving my car for me, all I have to do is steer it!!