GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A few good laps of Lime Rock, passing Vette and Cayman

R Golf

Go Kart Champion

After 50K miles, I'm still floored at how great the R is. Had a nice series of open track laps, managed to put together 9 laps within 0.5 seconds of each other at good (for me) times. 1.04's -1.05's Gorgeous weather. Temps low 70's. SCDA is a great group to run with.

Car has APR Stage 1, camber plates, rear sway and intercooler. Brakes/suspension are stock. Terrific daily driver as well.

Sorry about video shake. It improves as video continues. Seeking out improved mount. Event was Friday, 11/6.

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
In a couple of weeks I'll be that guy in the Cayman giving a point to a Golf R (Dark Arrow, most likely) as I learn to drive a car that wants to spin if I'm not careful.

You're on the PSC2's? They're very vocal.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
In a couple of weeks I'll be that guy in the Cayman giving a point to a Golf R (Dark Arrow, most likely) as I learn to drive a car that wants to spin if I'm not careful.

You're on the PSC2's? They're very vocal.

Are you purchasing a Cayman, or driving a friend's? I've driven my friends GT4, certainly not a stock Cayman but similar bones, at AZ Motorsports Park and it was a joy to drive. I've watched a number of your vids, and I'm sure you'll be more than fine in it. I think you're going to really enjoy it.

Yes, Cup 2's and "vocal" is correct. They have excellent feedback. It was getting a little cooler this run, and when I came in I realized I was a little shy on pressure, about 2psi shy hot. That caused a bit of rolling. Also, adding to the noise is that this was their last track day, and they were on their very last legs. I was also pushing pretty hard wanting to catch my nephew in his BMW. I needed another 2 laps before checker.

Yes...I know, I know, I know....nobody wins an HPDE, but it was my nephew in a BMW. ;>)

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Are you purchasing a Cayman, or driving a friend's? I've driven my friends GT4, certainly not a stock Cayman but similar bones, at AZ Motorsports Park and it was a joy to drive. I've watched a number of your vids, and I'm sure you'll be more than fine in it. I think you're going to really enjoy it.

Yes, Cup 2's and "vocal" is correct. They have excellent feedback. It was getting a little cooler this run, and when I came in I realized I was a little shy on pressure, about 2psi shy hot. That caused a bit of rolling. Also, adding to the noise is that this was their last track day, and they were on their very last legs. I was also pushing pretty hard wanting to catch my nephew in his BMW. I needed another 2 laps before checker.

Yes...I know, I know, I know....nobody wins an HPDE, but it was my nephew in a BMW. ;>)

My car is exhibiting excessive blow-by under track conditions. The consensus is rings, probably exacerbated by the stage 1 tune. It's fine driving on the street, but in 10 minutes on track the catch can fills up and the car goes into limp mode. So I am returning the car to stock and selling it.

Carmax has a 2015 GTS with 6MT, X73, PTV, and nav that is on a truck heading my way, slated to arrive in town Thursday. A friend operates a Porsche restoration business in my town and I've talked to him about doing a PPI on the car. If it passes the PPI, I keep it.

I know, it's not a race but it's also not uncompetitive. I enjoyed my outing a couple of weeks ago when I passed 4 or 5 Corvettes and a 1LE.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

After 50K miles, I'm still floored at how great the R is. Had a nice series of open track laps, managed to put together 9 laps within 0.5 seconds of each other at good (for me) times. 1.04's -1.05's Gorgeous weather. Temps low 70's. SCDA is a great group to run with.

Car has APR Stage 1, camber plates, rear sway and intercooler. Brakes/suspension are stock. Terrific daily driver as well.

Sorry about video shake. It improves as video continues. Seeking out improved mount. Event was Friday, 11/6.
I went to limerock with SCDA on Oct 24th! I agree, they are a great group to run with. what category did you run with? They are nicely organized and safe.
My lap times were less than yours, I was running 1:08, but it's a stock 2015 GTI non PP. My car was only able to reach 113 MPH on the long straight :(
The only upgrade changes I made (so far, lol) are the brake pads and fluid, RS3 ducts, and MP4S tires. I'm looking to add a rear sway bar, front tower brace, intercooler and JB4. Hopefully it's all installed by the beginning of next season. I'm curious to see how it affects my lap times.
Hope to see you at future SCDA events!
Here is one of my sessions:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I went to limerock with SCDA on Oct 24th! I agree, they are a great group to run with. what category did you run with? They are nicely organized and safe.
My lap times were less than yours, I was running 1:08, but it's a stock 2015 GTI non PP. My car was only able to reach 113 MPH on the long straight :(
The only upgrade changes I made (so far, lol) are the brake pads and fluid, RS3 ducts, and MP4S tires. I'm looking to add a rear sway bar, front tower brace, intercooler and JB4. Hopefully it's all installed by the beginning of next season. I'm curious to see how it affects my lap times.
Hope to see you at future SCDA events!
Here is one of my sessions:

Oct. 24 is our anniversary which is why I missed that event.

Checked your vid... Nice driving! 1:08 is a good time for a stock GTi on MP4S. You have very consistent lines.

Have you ever tried double apexing turn 1, Big Bend? For our types of cars, I think that is the quicker way around, but you need to settle on what works best for you and your car. You may want to give that a try through a session or two and see which you prefer.

I ran in Avanced with SCDA for a number of years, but over the last two years the firepower there is just too fast for me, so I moved to INT 2 where my car fits much better. What changed it for me was a track day at Lime Rock last year. I was passed by a Viper ACR, Ford GT, and a GT2RS Porsche all in a row on the front straight. It was like the children's song, "One of These Things is not Like The Others" ;>) INT 2 works great. It also depends on the group and track I am on. If I'm running with one of the marque clubs (BMW, Porsche, Audi) or on a longer track like the Glen I will still run in advanced, but as the hp increases year to year, that will probably change down the road as well.

I think those changes on your car with your consistent lines are going to be worth 2 seconds once you get the feel for the "new" car.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Oct. 24 is our anniversary which is why I missed that event.

Checked your vid... Nice driving! 1:08 is a good time for a stock GTi on MP4S. You have very consistent lines.

Have you ever tried double apexing turn 1, Big Bend? For our types of cars, I think that is the quicker way around, but you need to settle on what works best for you and your car. You may want to give that a try through a session or two and see which you prefer.

I ran in Avanced with SCDA for a number of years, but over the last two years the firepower there is just too fast for me, so I moved to INT 2 where my car fits much better. What changed it for me was a track day at Lime Rock last year. I was passed by a Viper ACR, Ford GT, and a GT2RS Porsche all in a row on the front straight. It was like the children's song, "One of These Things is not Like The Others" ;>) INT 2 works great. It also depends on the group and track I am on. If I'm running with one of the marque clubs (BMW, Porsche, Audi) or on a longer track like the Glen I will still run in advanced, but as the hp increases year to year, that will probably change down the road as well.

I think those changes on your car with your consistent lines are going to be worth 2 seconds once you get the feel for the "new" car.
Thanks! Thank you for the great info. That was my first time at Limerock. I chose to give up the first apex, using the logic that I would be able to exit the second one faster. Since my car is slow, I figured it would be the best way. I have iracing on my simulator, so I will try out a double apex to see how it feels, then I will try it next time I go to that track so I can compare times. I saw the Viper ACR guy there on the day I went also. I almost fell on the floor when he got out of the car, he looks like he's about 70 years old!! I truly hope I can be like him at his age, he's my idol, lol. He's a really nice guy, spoke with him for a few minutes at the gas pump.
I'm sure I'll see you next season, I'll be sure to say hi!
Here is a photo from my day there:

Attachments

• SPP_SCDA_LRP_10242020-435.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
...... I saw the Viper ACR guy there on the day I went also. I almost fell on the floor when he got out of the car, he looks like he's about 70 years old!! I truly hope I can be like him at his age, he's my idol, lol. He's a really nice guy, spoke with him for a few minutes at the gas pump.
I'm sure I'll see you next season, I'll be sure to say hi!
Here is a photo from my day there:
Hah! Well if that Viper guy is 70 he's only 3 years older than me!! Been track driving for a long time. 😁
Yet another nice thing about track driving. As long as you stay relatively healthy and know your limits, you can do it for a lonnng time.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hah! Well if that Viper guy is 70 he's only 3 years older than me!! Been track driving for a long time. 😁
Yet another nice thing about track driving. As long as you stay relatively healthy and know your limits, you can do it for a lonnng time.
Please stand by while I gently insert my foot into my mouth! LOL
I guess I'm the baby in the group at 52 years old? ...... and to be honest, I was being nice about his age, he may have looked closer to 80! :LOL:
Either way, he is my idol!