GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A/C Does not work correctly and a ticking from the glove compartment

Chi

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope I am posting in the correct section. For the last month my MK7 GTI's A/C does not work consistently. The dealer has asked if there is any pattern to the malfunction and there isn't one that I have noticed. It will just deside to work when it wants.
I have brought it into the dealer 2 times already and the first time the dealer states that all the pressures and diagnostics look fine. So I went in and picked up my car and the A/C works fine for 3 minutes and out it goes. 4 days after I first took the car into the dealership a ticking noise comes from my glove compartment, and I take it back to them the next week. This time they state that they had a software update they performed to fix the A/C and it fixed the ticking too...:confused: I was a bit suprised in that statement, but I picked up my car the second time and yeah the ticking was still there and the A/C still does not work.
Sorry for the long story, but I am a bit frustrated and feel like they are not doing a complete and thorough look over of the car.
Has anyone had this issue with their Golf, GTI or R? Or does anyone have any idea of the problem, so I could tell them when I bring it in the next time.

Elmerr81

Passed Driver's Ed
This sounds like the same issue i have on my car. I was told it was the blend motor and the part is in back order. So far its been a week and i haven't heard from my stealership.
The noise first started as a ticking noise then it turned into this https://youtu.be/_s4ydzrS2I4

Chi

Yikes! That noise sounds a lot like mine. I took my car back into the dealership this morning and told them to look at the blend motor actuator. Hopefully this is what is wrong and they can fix it. Thank you for your input!

modena

No Shame, and Rebel too..
Car(s)
VW Golf MKV
Same problem here:(
Thing is dealer needs the car for a day to diagnose it and won't give me a loaner.
Guess i need to take a day off....
BTW any of you guys get a loaner at the 10.000 mile service?
Could do everything at once then.

Elmerr81

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up my car from the dealer and the invoice says "Road tested vehicle and confirmed customers concern about noise when turning car on. Temperature regular motor was binding and getting stuck. removed d/s dash under steering wheel, removed foot well vent and removed and replaced temperature regulator motor."
In my case, the heat was not working. Took them about 9 days to get my car done.
My dealer gave me a new Passat to drive while my car was being serviced.

modena

No Shame, and Rebel too..
Car(s)
VW Golf MKV
Just got back from the dealer and they found a bad motor that opens and closes a
valve.
Part should be in Wednesday and install should be less then an hour.
(Part is located behind the glove box and is not that hard to get to.)

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
How much did this cost to repair through VW? I have the same issue right now but if the fix is over $100 it's not worth it to me lol. I'll listen to the tick tick tick for a minute or two

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
CLICKING NOISE by the glove box is caused by a damaged Re-circulation Flap Motor--
$200 item from VW---- MUCH cheaper from the after-market
shit.gif

Last edited:

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
If you're lazy you can simply disconnect the plug---you'll have no cabin re-circulation....Not a big deal.
Everything else works fine
Push the tab on the connector with a LONG screw driver and give the wires a gentle tug....
FWIW- I purchased the V113 motor but didn't install it for a LONG time as I had pulled the plug when the noise first started
No laughing now!

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks lou06483, informative post. I see a couple options for replacement, one for vehicles with Valeo brand and the other with Johnson. Is there way to identify which is equipped without actually inspecting the part? Would either work?

1673030511268.png

1673030615426.png

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I did the recirculation flap motor replacement job recently on my daughters 1.8Tsi.....what a pain in the ass it is for something so simple due to the difficult access. But with a bit of patience and perseverance it can be done and you can save yourself a fortune over taking it to a shop. I took a chance on an even cheaper flap motor ($21): Cheapo off Amazon - Amazon 'Confirmed Fit' says it doesn't fit but it does. Fingers crossed and touching wood, its working absolutely fine.....lets hope it stays that way! (at least until I can face the contortionism and frustration required to do the damn job again, and after my forearm bruising has healed lol). Found ShopDaps video on youtube helpful for doing the job.

The $200 price tag for a VW genuine part is ludicruous - at the end of the day this a super simple servo motor that's sole purpose is to rotate a quarter turn one way, and a quarter turn back. Hence why I took a chance on cheap for what is a non-critical part at the end of the day.

Last edited:

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Thanks lou06483, informative post. I see a couple options for replacement, one for vehicles with Valeo brand and the other with Johnson. Is there way to identify which is equipped without actually inspecting the part? Would either work?
Sorry-I've NO idea how the two are different----There's printed info on the part---I used a mechanics mirror to read it...tried using the phone to snap a photo but couldn't get the damn thing to focus
PS- This is typical VW/Audi silliness---you can see the part but will have fun getting tools on it.....