GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A bunch of lights/error-codes just lit up...

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I thought so too initially (front right), but apparently my scan tool is not very reliable, hence I wasn’t sure whether I could trust it…

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
If you are getting all of these codes and you have an oil leak you cannot find, I bet my last dollar your Vacuum pump is on the fritz!!

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
OK, but why replace all of them when only one is throwing an error. Buy one sensor and swap it on the right front, and take it from there.

Before you replace anything though, jack up the right front and check for wheel bearing play with the wheel on. Often times when an ABS sensor fails, it's because the wheel bearing is going and the sensor gets chewed up by the sensor ring. If there's play and you replace the sensor, you'll be replacing it again soon.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Sstrarrx2, if the problem was vacuum-pump related, would those specific error code be applicable?

if I clear them, they reappear only after I start driving, and the wheels have spun for a few yards…

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Sstrarrx2, if the problem was vacuum-pump related, would those specific error code be applicable?

if I clear them, they reappear only after I start driving, and the wheels have spun for a few yards…
Honestly no. When we ran into the vacuum pump failure on my daughters Golf, it spit out codes for everything under the sun. The vacuum pump affects allot of stuff indirectly. The little oil leak is what is telling me it is the vacuum pump. It is also really hard to find because the vacuum pump is in a hard to get to place and it can be leaking and not even hitting the floor. Hers did the same and it will start to get worse and you will get more oil. It is an expensive part and not too easy to install, meaning pretty big labor charge. Expect $800 plus at an indy shop, $1200 at a stealership. Those codes are applicable in those things are being affected, but once you fix the pump, you will no longer get those codes.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Honestly no. When we ran into the vacuum pump failure on my daughters Golf, it spit out codes for everything under the sun. The vacuum pump affects allot of stuff indirectly. The little oil leak is what is telling me it is the vacuum pump. It is also really hard to find because the vacuum pump is in a hard to get to place and it can be leaking and not even hitting the floor. Hers did the same and it will start to get worse and you will get more oil. It is an expensive part and not too easy to install, meaning pretty big labor charge. Expect $800 plus at an indy shop, $1200 at a stealership. Those codes are applicable in those things are being affected, but once you fix the pump, you will no longer get those codes.
Absolute nonsense. A vacuum pump failure would not trigger an implausible signal fault on a wheel rotation sensor...

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Absolute nonsense. A vacuum pump failure would not trigger an implausible signal fault on a wheel rotation sensor...
Having owned VWs... I can tell you that a vacuum pump failure will throw codes for all kinds of stuff that seem totally unrelated and I have seen it myself! I would at least check it out if it were my ride. Would a bad wheel rotation sensor spring an oil leak? Your first mistake would be thinking the programmed error codes don't lie!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Having owned VWs... I can tell you that a vacuum pump failure will throw codes for all kinds of stuff that seem totally unrelated and I have seen it myself! I would at least check it out if it were my ride. Would a bad wheel rotation sensor spring an oil leak? Your first mistake would be thinking the programmed errors codes don't lie!
I'm well aware of what cascading faults are, but this is not one of them. It's an absolute fault.

Implausible signal is only ever triggered if the signal is.. well.. implausible.........

ABS sensor failure is incredibly common on the Mk7, and the fault codes line up with that......

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
I'm well aware of what cascading faults are, but this is not one of them. It's an absolute fault.

Implausible signal is only ever triggered if the signal is.. well.. implausible.........

ABS sensor failure is incredibly common on the Mk7, and the fault codes line up with that......
So you're saying he has more than one problem...he still has an oil leak he needs to contend with.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I’ll check the vacuum pump, but I tend to think they are separate issues… the leak appears to come from the oil pan and has been there for a month or so, whereas the Christmas tree lit up a couple of days ago…

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
First thing I'd look at are the connections to the ABS sensors on the wheels (starting with the right front). I've heard of these getting loose (with a subsequent poor electrical connection) just from going over a pothole. If that is the fault it is a very cheap fix.

If they are all OK the ABS sensors themselves would be the next suspect, followed by the (more expensive) ABS control unit itself.

IIRC some people have been doing refurbs to control units (there was apparently a common fault on the circuit board that can be repaired).